Waterloo 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So ya, good luck to the people applying...Seems like a pretty monstrous achievement if you get in. Anyways, here are my stats

Current education: 4th year honours biology
OAT: (TS 360/AA 350)
GPA: 11.26 on a 13 scale (stupid, I know). Transcript is pretty much all A's and A-'s...and only a few B+s
EC: Cnib volunteer for 2 years, Tpt at Chrysler windsor assembly plant (3 years), shadowed optometrist for 2 days, dragon boat races for breast cancer (2 years), multi-instrumentalist, biology orientation leader, biology mentorship program for first year students (2 years), deans list

I got a 290 on the quantitative reasoning section on the OAT. Waterloo FAQ "strongly urges" me to retake the test...which isn't gonna happen. They make it sound like I'm out for the count. Anyone care to brighten my day and tell me that's not the case?

Members don't see this ad.

So ya, good luck to the people applying...Seems like a pretty monstrous achievement if you get in. Anyways, here are my stats

GPA: 11.26 on a 13 scale (stupid, I know). Transcript is pretty much all A's and A-'s...and only a few B+s
EC: Cnib volunteer for 2 years, Tpt at Chrysler windsor assembly plant (3 years), shadowed optometrist for 2 days, dragon boat races for breast cancer (2 years), multi-instrumentalist, biology orientation leader, biology mentorship program for first year students (2 years), deans list

I got a 290 on the quantitative reasoning section on the OAT. Waterloo FAQ "strongly urges" me to retake the test...which isn't gonna happen. They make it sound like I'm out for the count. Anyone care to brighten my day and tell me that's not the case?

EDIT: nvm... turns out I did better than I remembered

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a quick question.

I am in my 4th year but only recently considered applying to waterloo after receiving a 400 Sci OAT and a 380 average OAT. Is there no consideration after you take the OAT pass the July deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I have a quick question.

I am in my 4th year but only recently considered applying to waterloo after receiving a 400 Sci OAT and a 380 average OAT. Is there no consideration after you take the OAT pass the July deadline?

You wrote it after July 31, 2013? If you did, unfortunately you cannot apply for September 2014 admission :( It sucks, I know.

I don't think you should count yourself out - you should apply anyway, your OAT scores are not too bad. What's your OMSAS GPA?

It's a 3.7

You might want to give them a call and see if they'll outright reject you b/c of the OAT score. I don't think they will, but maybe its worth a call to see if you can get a definite answer. But be aware that the application is due this friday (Oct 4), so get onto that asap.

You might want to give them a call and see if they'll outright reject you b/c of the OAT score. I don't think they will, but maybe its worth a call to see if you can get a definite answer. But be aware that the application is due this friday (Oct 4), so get onto that asap.

No its not the 4th. And I do believe deadlines are strict...

Application Deadlines

July 31, 2013
The final date to write the OAT for September 2014 applications.

October 24, 2013
The application for admission to the School of Optometry, including photocopies of transcripts and documentation, are due at the School
AND
All official transcripts must be received.

October 31, 2013
The OD and character Confidential Assessment Forms (CAF’s) are due at the School.

End of November 2013
All Interviews selection will have been completed.

January 31, 2014
Official fall 2013 term transcripts are due at the School.

No its not the 4th. And I do believe deadlines are strict...

Application Deadlines

July 31, 2013
The final date to write the OAT for September 2014 applications.

October 24, 2013
The application for admission to the School of Optometry, including photocopies of transcripts and documentation, are due at the School
AND
All official transcripts must be received.

October 31, 2013
The OD and character Confidential Assessment Forms (CAF's) are due at the School.

End of November 2013
All Interviews selection will have been completed.

January 31, 2014
Official fall 2013 term transcripts are due at the School.

Yes, you're right about these deadlines, I just meant that the online application is due October 4:

"The on-line application and payment must be submitted by 11:59 pm, October 4, 2013."
https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-vision-science/important-dates

1st year Waterloo optom student here! Yes, they are very strict with deadlines.
I love how you guys are a lot more involved here than we were. :)

Good luck on your applications everyone!

So on the Paper application, we have to list our grades. There's a section for "WD". What does this mean? :confused: And if I went to a school that used percent grades and not letter grades, am I supposed to put in anything for column titled "Letter/Numeric Grade"? (the numeric grades IS the percent grade...:confused:)

Also we list the credit weight in terms of Waterloo's credit system correct? (so if my school uses 3.0 credits as a half year course, then I put "0.5" ?)

Also, if we need more space to list more ECs/Awards, etc, can we just print that page twice and list the additional info on the second page?

I really don't like this paper app idea...online apps are so much easier...

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
I think WD means withdrawal? I cannot think of anything else that would fit in... And I just give them what they ask for, if they want the numeric grade twice, then I did it but my school uses letter and numeric so there wasn't a redundancy

Also, from the chart they provided, if 3.0 credits is for 4 months and 6.0 credits is for 8 months, then yes, enter 0.5. <-- according to the application instructions

And I just put my most prominent EC/Awards/Volunteer etc etc for the application. I don't think you should add a second copy of the page in my perspective. The application process is meant to be fair and standardized so if they did not mention the option of doing so, then its best if you don't?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think WD means withdrawal? I cannot think of anything else that would fit in... And I just give them what they ask for, if they want the numeric grade twice, then I did it but my school uses letter and numeric so there wasn't a redundancy

Also, from the chart they provided, if 3.0 credits is for 4 months and 6.0 credits is for 8 months, then yes, enter 0.5. <-- according to the application instructions

And I just put my most prominent EC/Awards/Volunteer etc etc for the application. I don't think you should add a second copy of the page in my perspective. The application process is meant to be fair and standardized so if they did not mention the option of doing so, then its best if you don't?

Ohh shoot sorry for the late reply...I had just sent it in as it was, I managed to call in and get the answers to most of my questions! But thanks anyways for the reply!

No, they will send them out in mid-November (its in the Application Instructions)
okay so im assuming they changed it this year, because according to the 2017 waterloo thread, interviews were given out on a rolling invite basis

okay so im assuming they changed it this year, because according to the 2017 waterloo thread, interviews were given out on a rolling invite basis

I noticed that too. I wonder when they will start sending out interview invites this year... so anxious!

I noticed that too. I wonder when they will start sending out interview invites this year... so anxious!

They are no longer giving out interviews on a rolling basis anymore starting this year (one of the admissions people told me this over the phone). They will start handing out interview invites in mid-November.

do you guys know if they place more importance on prereq GPA or overall GPA?
Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted with an oat section under 300?

I've heard people get in with a section score under 300 .. not sure about the GPA thing though

I'd hazard a guess on the overall GPA...but there is nothing on their website stating that they place more importance on prereq GPA or overall GPA. From what I've been told, they just want to see that your prereqs were done, they don't all have to be A+s (I could be completely wrong here. Try emailing admissions to see if they give you a definite answer?)

Hey!
Has anyone heard from the school about whether you have received an interview yet?

Hey!
Has anyone heard from the school about whether you have received an interview yet?

I believe interview invites start going out in mid-November til the end of November. So its getting closer!

Also, I wanted to ask current Waterloo Optometry students how you guys are enjoying the program so far? How much do you guys study a day? Is it overwhelming?

Nope! Nothing yet.

This reassures me that I still have a chance of being offered an interview (since no one else has heard anything), but at the same time is excruciating. There are 9 days left in November, only 6 of which are business days, and I want to know if I have an interview or not! C'mon, Waterloo!

This reassures me that I still have a chance of being offered an interview (since no one else has heard anything), but at the same time is excruciating. There are 9 days left in November, only 6 of which are business days, and I want to know if I have an interview or not! C'mon, Waterloo!

Guys no worries, the admissions officer said today: "We are aiming at the first week of December to get the invites out."

Guys no worries, the admissions officer said today: "We are aiming at the first week of December to get the invites out."

Great. More anxiety and waiting.... Thanks for updating all of us, spartado!

Thanks for the update, I was really getting anxious too since I also have not heard back from Waterloo.

Thanks for the update, I was really getting anxious too since I also have not heard back from Waterloo.

Ahh same. This gives me some relief! Best of luck to you all :) Hopefully we hear some good news the first week of Dec.

I asked via email about the deadline. I got a reply saying it was still the end of novembed :S

I also had an email within the last week stating that "by the end of November you will find out"

I take that to mean we will hear by Friday since it is the last business day of the month. I am so stressed out! I also wonder will we receive an email/letter saying Thanks but no thanks if we do not make it or do I have to keep waiting until the first week in December in case Spartado is not just saying that to make us feel better.

Nothing brings down walls as surely as acceptance. -Deepak Chopra

My latest email from Waterloo still says by the end of November. I am checking my email at least once an hour... arrrrrgh. If the date is changing you would think Waterloo would let people know. I will be some upset if I do not hear anything by Dec. 1, I will take that to mean I am out.

I am starting to get nervous! I keep checking my email every hour too.

Has anyone got an interview invite?? The website said November 30th for the deadline to receive an interview invite? ("Deadline by which interview selection will be completed. Unfortunately, if not invited for an interview, students are no longer considered for admission.")

I'm getting worried... one more day I guess..

Has anyone got an interview invite?? The website said November 30th for the deadline to receive an interview invite? ("Deadline by which interview selection will be completed. Unfortunately, if not invited for an interview, students are no longer considered for admission.")

I emailed Stephanie and sh

I emailed them

Invites will be sent out by end of day tomorrow

I emailed Stephanie and sh

I emailed them

Invites will be sent out by end of day tomorrow

Oh my god...has anyone gotten an invite yet??? Now I feel really anxious.

I still have yet to here anything either... Does anyone know if it would be through email or?

I just got mine through email!!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my invite a few minutes ago, so I'm guessing it was sent all at once. So excited! And nervous! Good luck to everyone!!!

For reference, here are my stats:
Current Education level: 4th year of B.Sc. Honours in Neuroscience
OAT score: 330 TS/ 330 AA
GPA: 11.15 out of 12.00 (about 3.90 out of 4.00)
Optometry Experience: Shadowed two ODs and opticians for a day
EC: Worked in the Registrar's Office of my university for over a year / volunteer with the CNIB / Dean's List / Neuro society at my university / TA for first year Bio lab / Mentor for first year B.Sc. students

Oh, and my interview is on January 11th at 1pm.

I just got my invite a few minutes ago as well! So pumped! Good luck to everyone!

Current Education level: 3rd year B.sc.
OAT score: 330TS/330AA
GPA: 3.9 on 4.0 grade scale
Optometry experience: Work past two summers in an optometry clinic, as well as a couple days of shadowing doctors of other clinics.

Interview is Jan 13th in Edmonton.

I got the email at for the interview too! I'm so excited! Hope to actually meet you guys in person during the half day session.

I just got my invite a few minutes ago, so I'm guessing it was sent all at once. So excited! And nervous! Good luck to everyone!!!

For reference, here are my stats:
Current Education level: 4th year of B.Sc. Honours in Neuroscience
OAT score: 330 TS/ 330 AA
GPA: 11.15 out of 12.00 (about 3.90 out of 4.00)
Optometry Experience: Shadowed two ODs and opticians for a day
EC: Worked in the Registrar's Office of my university for over a year / volunteer with the CNIB / Dean's List / Neuro society at my university / TA for first year Bio lab / Mentor for first year B.Sc. students

Oh, and my interview is on January 11th at 1pm.

Aw man my interview is at 8:30 am.... ughh lol