Waterloo Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*amy*

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone who applied to Waterloo this year know when we can expect to hear? I know it says that admission decisions will be made by July 2nd, but thats a Saturday, and Friday is a holiday. Does this mean letters won't go out until the 4th?? Has anyone who is an external app heard yet? I am just going crazy waiting!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

*amy* said:
Hi,

Does anyone who applied to Waterloo this year know when we can expect to hear? I know it says that admission decisions will be made by July 2nd, but thats a Saturday, and Friday is a holiday. Does this mean letters won't go out until the 4th?? Has anyone who is an external app heard yet? I am just going crazy waiting!!

Thanks

I'm an external applicant, and I'm still waiting to hear. I'm assumming we'll hear after the long weekend... the suspense is killin' me!!!
Have internal applicants already been admitted???

I would bet on finding out before the long weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed to find out, as I'm leaving to Europe on the 2nd. here's what I got:

"The letters will be in the mail by the end of June. You can phone after July 1 if you have not received your letter. You would need your OUAC number when you phoned."

Take that for what you will. I'm betting we'll all get something by the Thursday....

Yes, according to some on the site, internal apps. have been admitted. So it's the waiting game for the rest of us....

I know a few internal applicants who also know a few people admitted. They got admitted end of May.

Yeah, I e-mailed Waterloo about a week ago but haven't gotten a response yet. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and wait...
Thanks!

*amy* said:
Yeah, I e-mailed Waterloo about a week ago but haven't gotten a response yet. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and wait...
Thanks!

Just sit tight!! I'm an external applicant who was accepted at the beginning of May, but I declined the spot later in May... so there's another free spot... Waiting is difficult, but you'll eventually hear from the school! Good luck and I hope you all make great OD's in the future (since I'll be a patient)!

Woooohooooo! I just recieved an email today (haven't got anything in the mail yet) and I got into Waterloo!!!!!! Guess the letters must be on their way... the responses are required by July 8th, Good luck to everyone that's still waiting!

Hey Caliente,
Just curious - why did you decline the offer?
Sara

caliente said:
Just sit tight!! I'm an external applicant who was accepted at the beginning of May, but I declined the spot later in May... so there's another free spot... Waiting is difficult, but you'll eventually hear from the school! Good luck and I hope you all make great OD's in the future (since I'll be a patient)!

Bone said:
Woooohooooo! I just recieved an email today (haven't got anything in the mail yet) and I got into Waterloo!!!!!! Guess the letters must be on their way... the responses are required by July 8th, Good luck to everyone that's still waiting!

did you inquire? or did they just send it to you? Congrats, btw.

tybuff said:
did you inquire? or did they just send it to you? Congrats, btw.

Thanks... They just sent it, late on friday afternoon.

Bone said:

I too found out i got into waterloo on friday via email!!! They said the offers have now been sent.

VanGirl said:
I too found out i got into waterloo on friday via email!!! They said the offers have now been sent.

The people who already heard from Waterloo, what city do you live in??

Members don't see this ad :)
I know they say they don't, but has anyone noticed if Waterloo gives a preference for internal applicants over external applicants?

OD2009 said:
I live in Vancouver BC

OD2009 said:

I live in London, Ontario (external applicant)

cripes, not looking good for the rest of us. congrats though.

I would figure they'd send out emails either way, guess not :mad:

Just wondering if anyone has recieved a rejection email ?

JonnyOpto said:
Just wondering if anyone has recieved a rejection email ?

nope, but sounds like no news is bad news at this rate

SuperSara said:
Hey Caliente,
Just curious - why did you decline the offer?
Sara

I have commitment issues, :p For me, if I had done optometry, it would have been the end of the line...... most probably I would be an optometrist until I retired at ~65. I know myself - I am not very adventurous in this regard. I am not the type of person who would practice as an OD for 10 years, then suddenly decide to do something else (by sacrificing a decent and respectable job/profession). Especially if that something else required re-training or additional schooling. After a 4-yr undergrad and an OD, I probably could not justify more (expensive!) schooling.

At this point in my life, I am not ready for such a big career committment. I opted to do something else that enables me to put off such a crucial decision until later; there are also more future lateral movement opportunities. Plus, I am not passionate about optometry. The main draws of the profession for me were: a) working on a daily basis with people, or "customers", and b) it being a respectable way to earn a decent living. As you can see, neither item is terribly specific to optometry.

cansnowflake said:
I know they say they don't, but has anyone noticed if Waterloo gives a preference for internal applicants over external applicants?

I really don't think they have a huge preference, if any, for internal applicants. I was an external applicant - I neither live in Waterloo nor attended the university - and did not feel disadvantaged at any point. I was even offered early admission and did not have to interview! In truth, I was quite surprised by this because I had heard a rumour (false, as it turned out) that only internal applicants were offered early admission.

If there are proportionately more students from Waterloo in the OD program, it is most probably because they have had more exposure to the program (you'd be surprised at the number of people who never consider the profession and who don't know that Waterloo has the only English OD program in Canada....almost all these people have 20/20 vision, though :rolleyes: ...so many have never even been to an OD before). Or, because they were considering optometry out of high school, they chose Waterloo for undergrad. I'm pretty sure Waterloo has a "pre-optometry" program for these dedicated and decisive students ..... unlike me, who is famously indecisive. In the end, I managed to make a decision without really making one at all :laugh:

tybuff said:
nope, but sounds like no news is bad news at this rate

You are probably on the waitlist or alternate list - whatever it's called. At this point, no news is better than definitive bad news, isn't it?

I am an expert at holding on to hope. Sometimes, things have even worked out in my favour! Good luck...

For the people that got accepted to UW... Congratulations!
Just curious... What was your cumulative average and OAT score?

caliente said:
You are probably on the waitlist or alternate list - whatever it's called. At this point, no news is better than definitive bad news, isn't it?

I am an expert at holding on to hope. Sometimes, things have even worked out in my favour! Good luck...

the eternal optimist, eh? ;). Although, those I do know who have been admitted in the past did not receive an email, only snail mail....*sigh*

tybuff said:
the eternal optimist, eh? ;). Although, those I do know who have been admitted in the past did not receive an email, only snail mail....*sigh*

Tybuff, are you from Winnipeg??

I am sooo scared! I just want to hear from them already, this is so annoying! Anyone received an acceptance letter but no email??

Where is waterloo? Is that a new school?

RLK said:
Where is waterloo? Is that a new school?

I was wondering the same thing.... is that in Canada??? seems like all the Canadians wanna go to Waterloo...

ODhopeful said:
I was wondering the same thing.... is that in Canada??? seems like all the Canadians wanna go to Waterloo...

Waterloo (UW) is canada's only english speaking optometry school, there is a french only school at McGill. So optometry hopefuls such as myself pretty much have one choice when it comes to pursuing optometry (unless you want to incure the huge debt that is associated with going to the US). Unfortunately, UW does not have a rolling admission policy (like the US) so all of us canadian OD hopefuls are awaiting the acceptance letters (which were just mailed out friday (24th) or monday (27th). Athough it appears there was some sort of email on friday to some (possibly students from outta province??).

ps johnnyopto, this is who you think it is - ill call you when i find out bro

cheers
jimmy

TommyGuns said:

cumulative GPA: 3.81
OAT
AA: 370
TS: 390

And yes, Waterloo is in Canada! :thumbup:

jimmyopto said:
there is a french only school at McGill.

The french language school is at Universite de Montreal, not McGill.

jd4me said:
The french language school is at Universite de Montreal, not McGill.

My first post and already a correct correction - my mistake, should have known better.

jimmy

tybuff said:
yes i am. who is this??

Oh I don't know you. I'm just asking because looking back at some other threads, it seems like we had our interview on the same day. Friday the 13th!!! Did you hear anything from them yet??

OD2009 said:
Oh I don't know you. I'm just asking because looking back at some other threads, it seems like we had our interview on the same day. Friday the 13th!!! Did you hear anything from them yet??

oh ok, wasn't sure. i know a couple ppl from around here that applied, thuoght one might be you. i have heard nothing. :thumbdown:

Hey, what % is 3.8 GPA?
I'm just wondering if my conversions are right.

I also got an acceptance email friday :D Congrats to others!

I'm from B.C. What are others from out of province planning to do about housing? I guess I'll wait for the letter in the mail and see what info is in that!

TommyGuns said:

OAT: 400 (AA) and 400 (TS)
average: 3.9ish, maybe...lower if including this last year, hehe

I totally just enjoyed myself this year, "extracurricularly"-speaking that is....:D For those who feel pressured to hurry and graduate and/or go to professional schools: personally, 4th year was by far my BEST undergrad year. I've experienced a time that I will "remember all my life", and perhaps it was even "the best time of my life" (you know...all the things your parents or teachers say about their own undergrad youth :laugh: ). I love my entire undergrad, but 4th year was something special. Even academicaly-speaking: you definitely act differently as a 4th-year student...I found there was a subtle, but noticable, change in the way I interacted with my classmates. TAs, and professors; and how classes were run; and how my attidude towards school had changed. I always felt like an old geezer applying to Waterloo since they take people after only 2 years of undergrad (and in my mind this translated into a class full of youngsters with only 2/3 years of undergrad and 20 or 21 years old at most).

duracell said:
Hey, what % is 3.8 GPA?
I'm just wondering if my conversions are right.

that was a 3.8 using the OMSAS conversion rate (which varies depending on the school you went to: http://www.yorku.ca/ypms/Prof_Info/OSMAS 2003 GPA Conversion.pdf ). I don't know if waterloo uses a similar scale, but it's what med schools use.

my 3.81 came from an 88% average over 4 years of undergrad. Hope that helps!

For those who got in, how many of the reccommended courses did you have???? (I won't be able to fit in as many as I would like).
Thanks!

cansnowflake said:
For those who got in, how many of the reccommended courses did you have???? (I won't be able to fit in as many as I would like).
Thanks!

none, only the required

Hey all,

I received my acceptance on Monday in the mail. I completed 3 years of undergrad at Waterloo already so if any of the external applicants have any questions about waterloo they can ask me. As far as housing, on campus residence might be tough now since the frosh get priority however, there is a townhouse complex residence not far from the optometry building that might still accept upper years. Its basically a 4 bedroom townhouse. Otherwise off campus housing is pretty available and really depends on if you have a car or not.
see you guys this fall

Bone said:
that was a 3.8 using the OMSAS conversion rate (which varies depending on the school you went to: http://www.yorku.ca/ypms/Prof_Info/OSMAS 2003 GPA Conversion.pdf ). I don't know if waterloo uses a similar scale, but it's what med schools use.

my 3.81 came from an 88% average over 4 years of undergrad. Hope that helps!
I had a 91% average at UBC and total science 400 overall 380

VanGirl said:
I had a 91% average at UBC and total science 400 overall 380

with that type of avg and oat score i would jump ship on uw and head south. you'll be able to score some scholarships and some of the schools have tuition waivers for the top student.

do yourself a favor, go south. :thumbup: