Waterloo Optometry 2012 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 more days! I have a strong feeling this friday will be the day, just 1 week delayed because the 2nd was so early in march. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah im thinking its this friday too. Because its a leap year :p. lets hope!!

I'm sure everyone on this thread is expecting this Friday and that almost everyone will be on this page 2 days from now! This is a bit late but anyone else on this thread awaiting a reply from BC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a current student at Waterloo but I'm wondering if I could still get a QUEST account. How does it work? Do I need a waterloo id in order to sign in??

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for your reply!! I was just wondering where you found your Waterloo ID.. the only thing that they've sent me since I applied was the email/PDF regarding the interview, and that didn't have any information about an ID. There isn't anything in the folder they gave me on the interview date either.
I do have an OUAC ID though.. but I don't think that works :(

Hey! I found my Waterloo ID in the email they sent me confirming my online application. Maybe search for that one back when you first applied. Hope that helps! ;)

The director of admissions told me that the offers will be given out in late march. I wouldn't count on an offer sent out tomorrow... I kinda wish they'll send it out soon cuz the wait is killing me XD

when did the director of admissions tell you this!? I hope he meant by mail, and quest will be sooner!

At our interview they said late March too and for the past few years they've said mid march but it has still been updated on Quest in early march (first Friday) so I think it's really hard to know when exactly we're going to hear... All we can do is hang in there!

Okay all... my status on quest says ADMIT! I think that means I'm in, and the results are at least partially up!!!!! Oh crap, so excited!!!! XD

Mine has changed to "admit" as well. Let the flood gates open... good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
any one who has "admit" have conditions as well?? mine says i have conditions but I dont know what they are!!!! PLEASE BE ATTAINABLE :D

Mine still says application :( Does this mean I didn't get in?! It's almost 6 pm so I doubt they are still updating statuses now.

I dont think they did every acceptance today, dont give up hope! The first person posted in the afternoon. Admissions could be being evil and dragging it on for two days. but I'm thinking your decision will be updated in the morning! Good luck!

Mine still says application, but i handed in my transcript 2 weeks late >_< !!

I'M IN! And conditions are passing all your classes if I'm not mistaken!

Thanks for the moral support :) I really appreciate it!! I'm so nervous now and at this point I just want to know what the decision is. and congrats on getting accepted!!!

Mine still says application :( Does this mean I didn't get in?! It's almost 6 pm so I doubt they are still updating statuses now.
No news is good news! That could mean wait list too. You never know though!

ADMIT!! Just signed up for QUEST now and checked! I hope someone can answer this question... I have heard that conditions usually consists of passing your classes, but I am currently taking 2 classes that are required prerequisites. Has anyone had (or heard of conditions) of acquiring a minimum grade in these classes (ie. Must obtain a minimim of an A)???

ADMIT!! Just signed up for QUEST now and checked! I hope someone can answer this question... I have heard that conditions usually consists of passing your classes, but I am currently taking 2 classes that are required prerequisites. Has anyone had (or heard of conditions) of acquiring a minimum grade in these classes (ie. Must obtain a minimim of an A)???

hi Ubc101! i'm in first year at waterloo. first of all congrats to everyone! we can't wait to meet all of you next year! :)

to answer your question, as far as i'm aware you only need to pass your current courses (60%). i don't think there are any requirements that the prereqs be a certain grade. you can relax now!

ACCEPTEDDDDDD!
Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear :)

Hehe Physio101 beat me to it but congrats to those who made it in!
It really does not feel like a year has passed...:D

I'm on waiting list #3, I just got a email. Is that good?

I'm on waiting list #3, I just got a email. Is that good?

Last year our waitlist went through something like 12 people. Obviously that changes every year and there are no guarantees, but I would say 3 is a pretty great position to be in - people might be waiting on med school admissions, might choose to go to a school in the States, etc.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted, and best of luck to those still waiting! Looking forward to meeting you all in September.

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! and for those still waiting to hear or those on the waiting list, best of luck!

to answer your question, as far as i'm aware you only need to pass your current courses (60%). i don't think there are any requirements that the prereqs be a certain grade. you can relax now!

Good to know!!
I just got my email this morning!:) I'm in!

Me too!!

I also really want to figure out housing...

me too! where do you think we can coordinate something like that? I'm guessing there will be a facebook group soon!

Congratulations to everyone on your acceptance!

Your hard work has paid off and you can now relax and celebrate your achievement. Now is a great chance to start getting to know all of your classmates. A face book group has been created to kick things off: University of Waterloo Optometry - Class of 2016 (http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/302104339855647/).

I'm looking forward to meeting you all :)

p.s. For those of you still waiting, fingers crossed! Good luck.

Waitlisted as well.. :( I guess i still have hope but im disappointed. Congrats to everyone on getting accepted and for those in the same boat as myself. Just wondering if people get accepted from the wait list if they could post their number and when they find out, to give me some hope!...im #13...Thanks everyone!

So this is kinda early, but i'm just wondering if Waterloo sends us a booklet or some kind of package that outlines the curriculum and associated costs? Also, what is the best place for housing on campus??

Can I ask what you guys think of the current job market in Canada for ODs? Do you believe that there is oversupply of ODs in most provinces?

So this is kinda early, but i'm just wondering if Waterloo sends us a booklet or some kind of package that outlines the curriculum and associated costs? Also, what is the best place for housing on campus??

I'm going to reply here, but I would suggest in future you direct these sorts of questions to the Facebook group, where you'll get a lot more replies! (My classmates are all really eager to help you guys out. This is a testament to how much fun we had in first year - we all want you to have the same awesome experience.)

The curriculum is currently posted on the School of Optometry's website - it lists all the courses you take each year. Your schedule will be posted on Quest sometime in July, if I'm remembering correctly. The Undergraduate Officers will also email you an information package sometime this summer that outlines a lot of these details; we got it realllly late last year, but that was the first year the School has ever done its own orientation, so they were still working out some bugs. A breakdown of estimated costs can also be found on the School's website, although the numbers are slightly out of date. (Basically, over-estimate the cost of EVERYTHING. You will spend a lot more than you realize. Loans and lines of credit are your friend.) Don't expect anything via snail mail - you'll get your official letter of acceptance, but that's it. Everything else is done via email these days. You'll also get your student-run orientation package sometime this summer through email.

The only place on campus that optometry students can live is Columbia Lake Village-North. These are two-bedroom townhouses about a 20-minute walk from the school. Several optometry students lived in CLV this year. All the other on-campus residences are for undergraduate students only (and CLV is way nicer than all of them anyway). You can find out more information about that on the UWaterloo's housing website. Otherwise, you're pretty much going to have to look for something off-campus.

Does anyone's official letters have different information on it regarding admissions than their email??

Does anyone's official letters have different information on it regarding admissions than their email??

ya, I was number 9 on the contingency list in the email, now i'm 11 in the letter. Marie said the letters are corrected versions. so depressed...

Don't worry. Hopefully two places won't make much of a difference.
It's too bad that the mistake happened its confusing!

My letter said number 6 and my email said 13, so I was very shocked and thought it was an error. But if letters are correct, I'm very excited.

Thanks for your info. Good luck!

Can contingency listers please post your acceptances and your position when you get the call? Thanks!

@limegreen Thanks, hopefully lots of people get accepted into med or something and refuse their offer. that way it'll work out for everybody :) congratz on moving up the list, you're probably in.

Can contingency listers please post your acceptances and your position when you get the call? Thanks!

@limegreen Thanks, hopefully lots of people get accepted into med or something and refuse their offer. that way it'll work out for everybody :) congratz on moving up the list, you're probably in.

thanks! :) and i agree hopefully we both get good news. Too bad we have to wait so long!

Hey guys, I'm kinda new on this site.. Please excuse my ignorance.. I'm registered to take the OATS for June and have my application completed by July 1, 2012. To be part of the starting class of fall of 2013. What is waterloo? Is this thread to help students in my similar time frame? Let me know. I'm so exited, yet extremely nervous!! Any advice would help! Also, Which do you guys reccomend? Taking the OAT in June, if my scores are a little low I can retake it again in August before the first set of interviews in Sepetember? or Second option.. Studying hard until August and taking it once. I'm not planning on taking it twice but studying now real hard, and taking it in June still leaves August open to retake it and in the first hand full of interviews.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new on this site.. Please excuse my ignorance.. I'm registered to take the OATS for June and have my application completed by July 1, 2012. To be part of the starting class of fall of 2013. What is waterloo? Is this thread to help students in my similar time frame? Let me know. I'm so exited, yet extremely nervous!! Any advice would help! Also, Which do you guys reccomend? Taking the OAT in June, if my scores are a little low I can retake it again in August before the first set of interviews in Sepetember? or Second option.. Studying hard until August and taking it once. I'm not planning on taking it twice but studying now real hard, and taking it in June still leaves August open to retake it and in the first hand full of interviews.

You must wait 90 days to retake OAT. Take it once if you can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

What is waterloo?

Waterloo refers to the University of Waterloo, the only school in Canada that offers a Doctor of Optometry program in English (the University of Montreal is the other school that offers a Doctor of Optometry but in French). This thread is for students who applied to the School of Optometry at UW for the 2012-2013 cycle.

There is a new post on Waterloo's website stating that for the entering class of 2013 the OAT must be taken from 2011-July 2012. And yes you have to wait 90 days in between tests. This is kind of my new dilemna as my last OAT will no longer be accepted if i were to re-apply for 2013!:S