Waterloo Optometry 2012 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks swtswter! I Wish everyone much luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, just wanted you all to know I got the call for waiting list. I am # 3, good luck to all those after me :)

Hey everyone! I got my phone call this afternoon!!! I was #6! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! they seem to be moving thru the list pretty quickly this year. thanks for the posts :)

Heyy guys, im not sure if any of you could tell me where I would be able to do the practice kaplans OAT test???

Would a Full-time course load be crucial for an application during the admission process? Thanks!

Hello All,
I'm new to the site and just finished applying to Waterloo. I have an 86% GPA from my undergrad and got an overall mark of 330 on the OAT. How much does Waterloo weigh on the OAT scores as I've heard they just check to make sure you got over 300 in each section (which I did)? I've been working for an optometrist for four years as well so I hope that counts for something.
Just curious what some of the accepted students for September 2012 had for GPAs, OAT scores and job experience?

Hey! I was accepted into the entering class of 2012, and from what I read we seem to have very similar profiles. I also got a 330 on my OAT (some sections higher than others), my GPA was around the same, and I also had lots of experience job shadowing, working and volunteering for Optometrists over the years. So, I would say you have a good shot, the experience working for an O.D definitely counts for something! Not only does it show that you are knowledgeable about your career choice but also it will help you very much for the interview!

So from what I got out of my experiences applying to Waterloo and now being accepted is that experience is KEY, the more the better. GPA and OAT definitely count but as long as your in range and like you said not lower than 300 in any sections it shouldn't hinder you much it's just more a comparative against other applicants. I applied twice to the program, was accepted the second time, and my OAT score was the same, the improvements I made were in job experience (volunteering, job shadowing and working), GPA, and extracurriculars.
Hope this helps! This site was gold for me when I was applying so I am happy to give back!

I am a canadian high school student. I hope to one day go to waterloo for optometry. Do you think it would decrease my chances of getting in if I went to a local college for one year and then transferred to a university? I would save a lot of money and I could keep my job as a lifeguard. Sorry if i'm asking this in the wrong place.

Hey!
I'm actually thinking of applying to the Waterloo's optometry school and I was wondering if someone that has already been accepted can share where they volunteered and which organizations they worked with.
Thank you so much!