wave frequency and energy

Started by wormboge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi, wormboge--

Where did you read that/what was the context? E = hf (energy of a wave is equal to Planck's constant times frequency); nothing is squared in this.

However, the energy is proportional to the amplitude squared.

I may be missing something though...
 
I have been looking into this, and believe it is from the equation, I = (1/2) p w^2 A^2 v In that case intensity is proportional to angular frequency squared, and of course, energy and intensity are directly proportional from other equations.

So, how does this square with the notion that E=hf? How can energy be proportional to frequency in that case, and in the prior paragraph, energy is proportional to angular frequency squared?