Wave trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luctoretemergo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had been having some issues with waves. Today I completely re-read phsyics (well 3/4 of it) and it really seems to make sense now, but EK tends to be a bit confusing. Can I clarify these trends and perhaps have other trends added as well by anyone who knows more, MCAT seems to really like trends with waves so yea..

Sound waves speed up from gas to liquid to solids b/c the bulk modulus is higher and compensates for increased density. Pressure also increases sound wave speed
Light waves slow down in liquids and solids because of increased index of refraction, as do electromagnetic waves. As tension increases, speed increases, as elasticity increases, speed increases. A wave on a lighter medium will travel faster than a heavier one if tension is equal.

Sound right?

Members don't see this ad.

sounds great!

dont forget the frequency-speed-wavelength relationship: v=wavelength*frequency;
when light slows down in a medium, it is because the wavelength changes; frequency stays constant for all EM waves.

sounds great!

dont forget the frequency-speed-wavelength relationship: v=wavelength*frequency;
when light slows down in a medium, it is because the wavelength changes; frequency stays constant for all EM waves.

right, because wavelength increases. velocity changes with mediums but freq stays constant right?

is their any solid or liquid medium that would have a lower index of refraction than air? in which case light waves would speed up?

nope. the lowest index of refraction is 1, which is "void". air is 1.0006 i think.

light can't go faster than in void (c), because index of refraction n=c/v; for air v is just slightly less than c.

yep, frequency stays the same.