Waves in a pipe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperOrchestra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have seen in two different places problems involving waves in a pipe with open ends on each side.
In one it states that at the open ends of a pipe the waves are nodes because outside the pipe would be atmospheric pressure and thus the waves at the ends are not capable movement, however I have also read that waves at the end of a pipe are anti-nodes. So in what circumstances are the waves at the end of a pipe nodes and when are they anti-nodes?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I have seen in two different places problems involving waves in a pipe with open ends on each side.
In one it states that at the open ends of a pipe the waves are nodes because outside the pipe would be atmospheric pressure and thus the waves at the ends are not capable movement, however I have also read that waves at the end of a pipe are anti-nodes. So in what circumstances are the waves at the end of a pipe nodes and when are they anti-nodes?

I think an open end = antinode, while a closed end = node. Think of a rope secured at one end to a wall (that end would be a node), and the other end either being free (antinode) or being tied to another wall (node).