Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waves in a pipe

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by SuperOrchestra, May 25, 2008.

1. SuperOrchestra

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay, I have seen in two different places problems involving waves in a pipe with open ends on each side.
    In one it states that at the open ends of a pipe the waves are nodes because outside the pipe would be atmospheric pressure and thus the waves at the ends are not capable movement, however I have also read that waves at the end of a pipe are anti-nodes. So in what circumstances are the waves at the end of a pipe nodes and when are they anti-nodes?

2. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think an open end = antinode, while a closed end = node. Think of a rope secured at one end to a wall (that end would be a node), and the other end either being free (antinode) or being tied to another wall (node).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...