waxing #8 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maximus3010

UMD 2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a first year and tomrrow is going to be our first lab practical on a full contour waxing of the # 8. I can get the shape, and over all allignment pretty decent, but i am having a hell of a time with the facial grooves. Whenever I carve, they become very pointy, and not smooth and curvy. If any of you guys have any quick hints from your days as first years. I would be very grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

maximus3010 said:
Hi,
I am a first year and tomrrow is going to be our first lab practical on a full contour waxing of the # 8. I can get the shape, and over all allignment pretty decent, but i am having a hell of a time with the facial grooves.

Lingual grooves, right?

maximus3010 said:
Hi,
I am a first year and tomrrow is going to be our first lab practical on a full contour waxing of the # 8. I can get the shape, and over all allignment pretty decent, but i am having a hell of a time with the facial grooves. Whenever I carve, they become very pointy, and not smooth and curvy. If any of you guys have any quick hints from your days as first years. I would be very grateful.

Use the body of Q-tip to carve the grooves (horizontaly with axis line) then the tip to polish them. I also used Q-tip with soapy water to polish the lingual surface because my finger with pantyhose couldn't get into the base of cingulum. I got A with #8 practical.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Lingual grooves, right?

no i think he is talking about the facial developments.

the way that i did it was that i warmed my PKT2 instrument (just barely warm) and then touched the facial surface with it afew times. carving it out makes it look exaeggerated.

HuyetKiem said:
Use the body of Q-tip to carve the grooves (horizontaly with axis line) then the tip to polish them. I also used Q-tip with soapy water to polish the lingual surface because my finger with pantyhose couldn't get into the base of cingulum. I got A with #8 practical.

everyone should get an A with number 8. good luck with doing the molars.

also, bend the Q-tip in half to carve the lingual fossa.

ItsGavinC said:
Lingual grooves, right?
I think he's talking about the itty-bitty concavities between the different enamel lobes, Gavin. I can't really offer much in the way of advice, but sympathy I've got--I hated waxing with a passion till about halfway through spring semester. Just keep plugging away (easier said than done, I know) and you'll start catching the hang of it.

PERFECT3435 said:
no i think he is talking about the facial developments.

the way that i did it was that i warmed my PKT2 instrument (just barely warm) and then touched the facial surface with it afew times. carving it out makes it look exaeggerated.

This is exactly what i did. After i melted them in i just used one of the thicker PKTs and burnished them just a tad, this seemed to do the trick.

Gently carve them out with the discoid end of a cleoid-discoid. GENTLY! Did you hear me? I said GENTLY! :D Now take the end of a wax spatula and heat it up until it is absolutely glowing. Bring it close to the wax and wave it over the area without actually touching your tooth. The wax will run slightly giving you very natural contours and leave the surface like glass. You shouldn't have to polish it much at all unless you need a slight adjustment of the contour.

Hope that helps.

I took mine to a lab tech and paid them to work on it. Worked really well for me.... not too sure how to help though :)

I just use a swiss army knife

or make impression of your typodont a night before then pour the wax over during your lab practical. You will be out there in less than 15 min. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Use a little forehead grease on your finger for that final shine. :cool:

omsres said:

Along those same lines, I liked to use nose grease...he's right, it does leave a perfect shine.

omsres said:

forhead grease?

a classmate of mine is been using the grease off his nose. his wax ups are the shinniest i have even seen. lol :laugh: .

Any tips for the lingual side of #6?

Hey thanks a lot guys, really appreciated teh help, and that forehead grease, i had plenty to spare during the last few minutes. Only problem i had was way at the end when i finally hooked my mandible in and tried closing it only to realize that the mandibular incisors were cutting into my wa#8...son of a bitch. That required a bit of hustle to take care of, but I was able to pull through. A quick suggestion to any one else who is going to be doing their waxing any time soon. WATCH THOSE DAMN PROXIMAL POINTS. They kept disapearing every few minutes. You gotta be really careful putting it in and out of the typodont. Once again, thanks a lot guys. :)