Way more B's than A's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragtime

An underdog
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And it doesn't make much sense. I study and do my work, but I somehow always manage to mess up on exams. I'm very knowledgeable. I know more than my classmates. I just blank out on exams or have really bad memory. I may have test anxiety as a component of my diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder. I guess the only thing that could save me now is a high MCAT score, and unique extracurricular activities. Is it safe to assume this?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds to me like you need to sort out your test anxiety or the same thing will happen on the MCAT, right?

People are bad test takers, it happens. It's probably something I would try and sort out before the MCAT though. If you get test anxiety that badly from undergrad exams, I feel like the pressure of the MCAT might weigh on you. Also, as much as it sucks, try not to make excuses; your "I'm smarter than my peers, but just do bad on tests" argument is going to fall on deaf ears when it comes to admissions.

GPA is an important factor, but it isn't everything. Build a strong application (MCAT, EC's, etc.) around your "weak" GPA and I'm sure you'll be successful if becoming a doctor if it is what you really want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
And it doesn't make much sense. I study and do my work, but I somehow always manage to mess up on exams. I'm very knowledgeable. I know more than my classmates. I just blank out on exams or have really bad memory. I may have test anxiety as a component of my diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder. I guess the only thing that could save me now is a high MCAT score, and unique extracurricular activities. Is it safe to assume this?

Many people with low undergrad GPAs opt to do a postbacc/SMP/graduate degree in order to raise their GPA. What is your GPA now?

If you're struggling to take regular exams, the MCAT is a whole other animal and your test anxiety will be off the charts. It's one thing to say you need to get a high MCAT, it's another thing to actually obtain a high MCAT score. You need to see someone about your anxiety and try to fix it before attempting the MCAT. Also, take upper level science courses (also after you alleviate some anxiety) to raise the GPA. It depends on what your GPA is, but if it's too low, even a high MCAT score and brilliant ECs might not make up for it.

Well it depends what year you are and what your GPA is. It may still be possible to get a reasonable GPA (especially if you have nothing lower than a B). You are right that a good MCAT score will make up for a lot too, but make sure that you have figured out a way to get passed your anxiety. Also, if you have some sort of special ed plan make sure you have it all cleared with AAMC really early if you need extra time.

Well it depends what year you are and what your GPA is. It may still be possible to get a reasonable GPA (especially if you have nothing lower than a B). You are right that a good MCAT score will make up for a lot too, but make sure that you have figured out a way to get passed your anxiety. Also, if you have some sort of special ed plan make sure you have it all cleared with AAMC really early if you need extra time.

I always see references to a "good" MCAT score making up for a low GPA, but I'm just wondering what you'd say the range for that is. 39+? 34+?

I always see references to a "good" MCAT score making up for a low GPA, but I'm just wondering what you'd say the range for that is. 39+? 34+?

I'd say 3.6 33 good EC's will have no prob getting into at least one med school, same with 3.9 30 good EC's. Tons of constraints on that tho: good essays, interpersonal skills, etc.

Basically, numbers like that definitely won't keep you out. If you have <3.5, it's an uphill battle for sure, but a few people do manage that every year.

I would say if you have a 3.6 GPA you want at least a 33 MCAT (based on my own experience at least). If your GPA is lower (say 3.3/3.4) I would guess you want more like 35+, though that it is not based on anything specific.

The truth is, each school will have it's own secret system for evaluating candidates. However, a low GPA is essentially saying that you had diffuclty with the work load/material of undergrad. It is essential to counter this perception, so scoring in the 90+ percentile on the MCAT is one way to demonstrate that you are capable of mastering the kind of material you need to handle in med school. It is a second chance to show that you are academically competent, and will not become overwhelmed if you were accepted.