Wayne State Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,

My interview is on December 4th. I was wondering if there will be any seats left by then. I'm scared because my interview is later than your guys and if there will be any seats left by then. Also any tips for the interview? Do you guys know what they like to hear from applicants? I'm just scared because Wayne is my first choice and I don't know if my stats are good enough at all. My science GPA is 3.71, overall GPA is 3.75. My PCAT went horrible (64th Percentile with highest scores in Chem and Bio). I am a pharmacy technician and I have done research at the Wayne State Medical School. I have also been a Patient Care Aide at Beaumont Hospital and have taken part in organizations like United Way.

Please give me your thoughts.
Thank You

Practice! Do bullet points of stuff you want to mention about yourself. Do not MEMORIZE! Talk about your extracurriculars and show that your passionate about Pharmacy through them. I talked about my compassion of pharmacy and the educational aspect and how i feel about it. I spoke about my experiences as well (they asked me about my healthcare experiences). Just really show them your passion for it...if you have some for the profession lol don't worry about not getting in! I had a 3.5 and 72 pcat and lots of extracurricular and healthcare experience. I think it really rides on your interview and how you present yourself. I have a really catchy personality and that helped me. I'm always smiling and laughing and so i feel that helped me also. SMILE! ALOT lol it will help :) and when i get nervous i don't stutter i just can't process what i say..which is bad. Also, if you have other interview opportunities before that take them. I had 2 other ones so it prepped me good. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
So I was wondering how did you write your resumes? What headings did you use? Can someone post a template?

I basically did
Objective
Education
-name of school the year to year attendance (i went to two)
-mentioned Deans list
-included high school that i graduated

Work Experience
Title, Address (year to year)
small description of what i do/did

Healthcare Experience
Title, (year to year date) then spaced down one line wrote the hours a week then spaced down a did a small description

Extracurricular Experiences
same as the above

Skills
just did a typical resume set of skills that are oriented towards what they want in pharmacy students (googled the potential candidate what they want and wrote what i could)

Awards and Achievements
my awards i wrote them , including scholarships

Hey Guys,
So I was wondering how did you write your resumes? What headings did you use? Can someone post a template?
What I wrote for mine:

Objective- I made a statement that I want to get a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree and become a clinical pharmacist
Education- honors, and deans lists included as well as overall GPA
Work Experience- with dates and descriptions
Certifications- I mentioned my lifeguard training, first aid, and cpr/aed certifications
Volunteering- descriptions of each event
Extracurriculars

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot, your replies really helped me!

Reactions: 1 user
Can anybody who has been accepted into WSU's PharmD program assist me with the writing portion of the interview. What was your scenario? How did you answer the question? How long does the response need to be and what are they looking for in your response? Thank You

Can anybody who has been accepted into WSU's PharmD program assist me with the writing portion of the interview. What was your scenario? How did you answer the question? How long does the response need to be and what are they looking for in your response? Thank You
Don't worry about the essay its a piece of cake. All they give you is a question about a scenario as if you were in a workplace environment and its just basically about how you would handle the situation, so there is no right or wrong answer to it. They give different questions but I'm sure they will give you something similar. My response was only a page long (double-spaced). They really only ask you one question so just keep in mind when your righting your essay, keep it short and straight to the point and make sure you answer the question they asked without adding unnecessary details.

On the day of my interview, someone mentioned that if you will not be getting your bachelor's degree when you start pharmacy school, then you can use your classes at pharmacy school toward your bachelor. Anyone know anything about this?

On the day of my interview, someone mentioned that if you will not be getting your bachelor's degree when you start pharmacy school, then you can use your classes at pharmacy school toward your bachelor. Anyone know anything about this?

i'll message it to you, I actually e-mailed her about it.

Hello,

So I know that for my interview, they will ask me 1. Why Pharmacy? and 2. Why Wayne State? Now I know this sounds dumb considering that I chose this for my career path but I'm kind of stuck on how to answer these two questions. What do they like to hear from candidates regarding these two questions? To the people that got accepted, how did you approach this question when they asked you? Also any other questions that they asked you during the interview? Please help me out, I really want to get accepted to Wayne's pharmacy program considering I have done my 4 years of undergrad here.

Thank You

1. Why Pharmacy? and 2. Why Wayne State?
They COULD ask you that, but I personally was not asked those two questions. It was more of a conversation. We talked mostly about my experience and my expectations of the program. It's all random and depends on how the flow of the conversation.

Hello,

So I know that for my interview, they will ask me 1. Why Pharmacy? and 2. Why Wayne State? Now I know this sounds dumb considering that I chose this for my career path but I'm kind of stuck on how to answer these two questions. What do they like to hear from candidates regarding these two questions? To the people that got accepted, how did you approach this question when they asked you? Also any other questions that they asked you during the interview? Please help me out, I really want to get accepted to Wayne's pharmacy program considering I have done my 4 years of undergrad here.

Thank You

They did not ask anyone the same questions, everyone i talked to had different one the same day we all interviewed. Answer honestly use your own answers of why you want to do pharmacy and why you want to be at WSU. Tell them that you have been there for 4 years and tell them what you learned from your experience there, basically thats what i said. Also, why pharmacy....talk about your experiences and why you yourself want to do pharmacy its like an original answer thing.

Has anybody gotten anything back from the December 4th interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who had been previously deferred hear back about acceptances today (or recently)?

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted so far?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people have been accepted so far?
Well their are five interviews in total and after each one 20 are accepted so since three interviews have finished 60 should be accepted so far.... You can also predict about 30 are still deffered and 30 have been denied maybe 20/40 who knows but that adds up to the 120 intervied so far!

Interviewing January 12th!

Has anyone had interviews at all 3 COP's in Michigan and have any comments/suggestions? Just wanted to hear your thoughts. I've already read through all three threads.

Interviewing January 12th!

Has anyone had interviews at all 3 COP's in Michigan and have any comments/suggestions? Just wanted to hear your thoughts. I've already read through all three threads.
Hi any way you can point me to the Ferris thread cant seem to find it anywhere... Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this! I interviewed at all three schools in Michigan. I'm also Canadian haha! I got into Ferris, deferred from Michigan and I just had an interview at Wayne on January 12 and I was really hoping I'd get in right away but I also got deferred. I have a 98th percentile on my PCAT and GPA is around a 3.8 from what Tamra told me because I think Wayne calculates GPA's a bit differently. My WES evaluation GPA was a 3.74. To be honest I'm pretty devastated about Wayne, I know it's not a no but I didn't do horrible on my interview. We were actially laughing, joking and conversing a lot. I mean there are things that I wish I said that I didn't say but I'm still pretty sad lol. I know Ferris is a great school but Wayne was my number 1. Anyways, not sure what to do now :/ Congrats to all of you by the way!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this! I interviewed at all three schools in Michigan. I'm also Canadian haha! I got into Ferris, deferred from Michigan and I just had an interview at Wayne on January 12 and I was really hoping I'd get in right away but I also got deferred. I have a 98th percentile on my PCAT and GPA is around a 3.8 from what Tamra told me because I think Wayne calculates GPA's a bit differently. My WES evaluation GPA was a 3.74. To be honest I'm pretty devastated about Wayne, I know it's not a no but I didn't do horrible on my interview. We were actially laughing, joking and conversing a lot. I mean there are things that I wish I said that I didn't say but I'm still pretty sad lol. I know Ferris is a great school but Wayne was my number 1. Anyways, not sure what to do now :/ Congrats to all of you by the way!

From one Canadian to another...

My PCAT was 92nd percentile, my GPA from my University was a 3.71. When I had my WES evaluation done, my GPA dropped to 3.43. I was originally deferred by Michigan, but got in. Was accepted to Wayne without being deferred. You'll get in for sure to both. These schools like diversity, so they will always like to have us Canadians in (plus extra money for being out of state)

From one Canadian to another...

My PCAT was 92nd percentile, my GPA from my University was a 3.71. When I had my WES evaluation done, my GPA dropped to 3.43. I was originally deferred by Michigan, but got in. Was accepted to Wayne without being deferred. You'll get in for sure to both. These schools like diversity, so they will always like to have us Canadians in (plus extra money for being out of state)

Thank you! That's very reassuring. Also, I've been emailing Mark Nelson from UM constantly and he has not been emailing me back. My mentor actually sent me an email one day congratulating me on being admitted into the program and I was SO confused because Mark had just told me I was deferred again. So she said she would email people to look into it, and they never emailed me, so she's emailing them again. I'm afraid that there's something wrong with my application at this point.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows, does Wayne give priority for those deferred depending on the date they interviewed like if someone was deferred on the second interview and another on the third interview does it go by order of who gets in?

Last edited:
Hey I was apart of the afternoon session as well, I haven't been contacted either. I'm guessing everyone will find out monday

It's a snow day...does that mean we're still getting emails?

I hope so!
I know you guys are so anxious to hear back, but I just wanted to say it's not a bad thing if it took a little longer than you expected. I had my interview on December, 4th and they sent out the emails exactly one week after which felt like a lifetime to me and I'm sure you feel the same way now. But seriously try not to worry and hope for the best. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!! You guys i'm so happy sooo happyyy I'm crying. BALLING/HYPERVENTILATING!!!

Placed on the alternate list. Can anyone explain the difference if any between being waitlisted and being placed on the alternate list?

Yea I am also on the alternate list but wish they would let us know where we stand like some other schools do. I don't think there is a difference between waitlist and alternate list probably their word of choice...

Congrats, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Thank You!
GPA Science and Non-Science -4.0
PCAT 91
There were 2 P-2 students during the orientation at the interview on 27th that were accepted from the alternate list. So hang in there. Students can get accepted as late as June , I was told.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank You!
GPA Science and Non-Science -4.0
PCAT 91
There were 2 P-2 students during the orientation at the interview on 27th that were accepted from the alternate list. So hang in there. Students can get accepted as late as June , I was told.
I read on past forums that its possible to contact the dean to find out where I stand on the waitlist but am not sure if I should do that especially since his last name is "Slaughter" lol

I read on past forums that its possible to contact the dean to find out where I stand on the waitlist but am not sure if I should do that especially since his last name is "Slaughter" lol
I would email and ask. Why not? Go for it..

I emailed Tamra saying that I accept the offer, but she hasn't emailed me back. Should I email her again?

Well one of you guys will get my spot. I got into U of M and just paid my deposit there. Good Luck!

does anyone know...if I already gave Tamra my updated transcript, do I still have to update PharmCAS??