Wayne State BMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alohomora77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, no one has started a new thread for this year yet so here goes! Did anyone get info about orientation after acceptance??

Members don't see this ad.

Just dropping in to say I love the BMS program! I just finished my first 21 credits, so feel free to tag me to ask any questions you may have.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, no one has started a new thread for this year yet so here goes! Did anyone get info about orientation after acceptance??
Hey! So I didn't, and I posted on Reddit because I wanted to see if anyone else is doing the program. Another incoming student replied saying they got info on the orientation so I had to email the director of the program and tell him I never got information about it. Weird how they told some people and not others. It's August 24th btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have recommendations for what courses I should take?

How do people typically break down the 20 credits over two semesters?

Please elaborate on the 20 credit rule for Wayne State, what does it exactly mean?

Does anyone have recommendations for what courses I should take?

How do people typically break down the 20 credits over two semesters?
I would recommend Biochem and Physiology I for the fall semester. Typically, people do 8/8/4 and then have their AMCAS transcript in by late June, when the Anatomy spring term grade is posted.

I did Biochem and Physio I in Fall (8), Pharmacology and Physio II in Winter plus a mini course (9), and Anatomy in the short Spring term (4), applying with 21 credits to AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend Biochem and Physiology I for the fall semester. Typically, people do 8/8/4 and then have their AMCAS transcript in by late June, when the Anatomy spring term grade is posted.

I did Biochem and Physio I in Fall (8), Pharmacology and Physio II in Winter plus a mini course (9), and Anatomy in the short Spring term (4), applying with 21 credits to AMCAS.
Thank you

Just dropping in to say I love the BMS program! I just finished my first 21 credits, so feel free to tag me to ask any questions you may have.

hey, if I start from the winter semester, is it still possible to finish 20 credits before applying for the 2017 cycle?

Or is this 20 credits thing only required for wayne med school?

hey, if I start from the winter semester, is it still possible to finish 20 credits before applying for the 2017 cycle?

Or is this 20 credits thing only required for wayne med school?
No, it won't be.

No, it won't be.

Do you think its still worth it to do it? I saw a lot of people start their SMP after they apply and update their grades to school. Seems like this is not possible for wayne...

Will other schools still consider those grades? especially the in state schools (for both MD and DO)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think its still worth it to do it? I saw a lot of people start their SMP after they apply and update their grades to school. Seems like this is not possible for wayne...

Will other schools still consider those grades? especially the in state schools (for both MD and DO)
Second this I'm considering applying for winter term

I'm interested in applying to this program and I'm wondering if it's okay to use letters of recommendation for dental school as letters of rec to this program? And also using the dental school personal statement?
Also, i'm wondering if the application is rolling admissions? when is the best time to apply for each of the semesters to maximize chances of getting excepted?

Really interested in applying to this program, it's my top choice. I've heard some good things about it! Does anyone know how competitive it is?

Really interested in applying to this program, it's my top choice. I've heard some good things about it! Does anyone know how competitive it is?
LOL not competitive. Just have >3.0 and a 50th percentile MCAT/GRE. But I do love the program and highly recommend it!

Hi friends, I just got accepted into the Wayne BMS program for Winter 2017... need some inside information if possible!
1) what classes are good for medical school? (I'm thinking of taking pharmacology and neurobiology I)
2) this is my first time taking grad classes... i am under the impression that 8 credits is standard... do people ever do more? like 12? What are my chances for balancing a job?
3) is there a club of pre-med hopefuls here at this program who get together and do pre-med extracurricular?

thanks!

For wayne BMS, I hear that most people take 8 cred- Fall/Winter and 4 in the spring while applying. Will you be applying this cycle? Also wondering about 3, I'm assuming research or scribing may be something that is possible if you're interested.

I have a few friends that attended/attend this program and it's a reputable place to prove yourself if you have a low uGPA. Attending here doesn't improve your chances of going to Wayne as opposed to attending different programs though. There is zero correlation between the graduate office and the admissions office.

I have a few friends that attended/attend this program and it's a reputable place to prove yourself if you have a low uGPA. Attending here doesn't improve your chances of going to Wayne as opposed to attending different programs though. There is zero correlation between the graduate office and the admissions office.
I concur with this. The people in our program who got interviewed at Wayne would have gotten interviewed whether they did a program here vs anywhere else. They had the strong grades and MCAT.

Does anyone know what courses are best to take during the winter in terms of least level of difficulty (first semester taking graduate courses- would like to take the easier choices of classes) with IM 7010 and PHC 7010, which of these is more difficult?

Hi friends, I just got accepted into the Wayne BMS program for Winter 2017... need some inside information if possible!
1) what classes are good for medical school? (I'm thinking of taking pharmacology and neurobiology I)
2) this is my first time taking grad classes... i am under the impression that 8 credits is standard... do people ever do more? like 12? What are my chances for balancing a job?
3) is there a club of pre-med hopefuls here at this program who get together and do pre-med extracurricular?

thanks!
I'm also doing the BMS program starting this winter. Do you know what classes u are choosing and have any info from
Others about the best options?

Take physio II and pharm.

How is the pharm class? I have been thinking between pharmacology, immunology and neurobiology and haven't decided which one. I don't know too many people that are in/have been in this program so I haven't gotten any recommendations.

How is the pharm class? I have been thinking between pharmacology, immunology and neurobiology and haven't decided which one. I don't know too many people that are in/have been in this program so I haven't gotten any recommendations.
Well I mean how many credits are you looking for? Immuno is only two.

Well I mean how many credits are you looking for? Immuno is only two.

I am looking to take 2 classes even if it goes below 8 credits. I just want to get an idea of what classes are the easier ones to ace as I want to be careful in my first semester of grad level classes since i'm
Not used to the work load yet.

I am looking to take 2 classes even if it goes below 8 credits. I just want to get an idea of what classes are the easier ones to ace as I want to be careful in my first semester of grad level classes since i'm
Not used to the work load yet.
None of them (that look good to medical schools) are easy to ace. I took physio II and pharm together and received an A in both.

You'll be able to handle it.

When is the next deadline to apply? And when does the next semester start? I'm unfamiliar with the semester schedule at Wayne...
All of this information can simply be found on the BMS website and Wayne's academic calendar, but the new semester just started Tuesday. The next full semester is Fall 2017 and begins at the end of August. The deadline to apply to the BMS program to begin at this time is in early June. When I applied to start Fall 2015 I submitted my app in March and heard back in May.

I just started the BMS program and so far i'm initially somewhat overwhelmed simply due to the transition of undergrad type classes to grad school level with the increased coureload and increased expectations which is of course what is to expected as one transitions to grad level courses. I was a bio minor as undergrad and took quite a lot of bio courses including upper level ones. I'm wondering if people had a similar experience initially starting the BMS program? I just want to know if it's only me that's finding the program initially overwhelming or is that normal for everyone else too?

Could anyone tell me do they average multiple attempts in the same course like an md school? Or when >3.0 gpa is said to be required , it is not averaging multiple attempts of the same course, just the latest attempt?

Thanks

Could anyone tell me do they average multiple attempts in the same course like an md school? Or when >3.0 gpa is said to be required , it is not averaging multiple attempts of the same course, just the latest attempt?

Thanks
You mean to apply to BMS? They take whatever GPA your university reports. There's no separate recalculation like in medical school applications.

How many students are in BMS? Did you like the program? How big were your classes? Did you take a full course load each semester? Did you finish in two semesters?
I have no idea how many students started with me, I wanna say there were around 85 at fall 2015 orientation. I liked the program because it got the job done (got me into med school) and the professors are willing to help/write rec letters. But outside of that there's no real "program" feel, it's just people who show up and take classes. My classes were probably around 50 people each, depending on what class it was.

No one does the program in two semesters unless you are planning on just getting 20 credits and dropping without getting a master's degree. I think it would be nearly impossible to do 15 credits each semester plus summer anatomy just to finish in one year. Plus then you would STILL have a year before matriculating into medical school, so why not take that time to spread out your master's degree instead of cramming it into a year and risk doing poorly.

I took a full time (8 credits or more, except for Spring where 4 is full time) each semester. This is what I did:

Fall 2015: Physio I, Biochem (8 credits)
Winter 2016: Physio II, Pharm, a one credit mini course (9 credits)

Spring 2016: Anatomy (4 credits)

Applied to medical school June 2016

Fall 2016: Epidemiology elective, Molecular Bio and Toxicology (10 credits)
Winter 2017: No courses, just my BMS essay (3 credits) and will graduate April 2017, start medical school June 2017

Hope this helps!

I just started the BMS program and so far i'm initially somewhat overwhelmed simply due to the transition of undergrad type classes to grad school level with the increased coureload and increased expectations which is of course what is to expected as one transitions to grad level courses. I was a bio minor as undergrad and took quite a lot of bio courses including upper level ones. I'm wondering if people had a similar experience initially starting the BMS program? I just want to know if it's only me that's finding the program initially overwhelming or is that normal for everyone else too?
If you don't mind me asking, what classes are you in? I felt kind of the same way for my first biochem exam (did below average) then just realized what I needed to adjust to do better. I think some people found the transition to BMS difficult in terms of managing your time/study skills but again it depends on the rigor of your undergraduate institution. I personally found the exams on average to be much easier than anything I had in college.

If you don't mind me asking, what classes are you in? I felt kind of the same way for my first biochem exam (did below average) then just realized what I needed to adjust to do better. I think some people found the transition to BMS difficult in terms of managing your time/study skills but again it depends on the rigor of your undergraduate institution. I personally found the exams on average to be much easier than anything I had in college.

I'm taking physio 2 and pharm. I've had experiences with both these classes in undergrad but the level of depth and amount of content in this program is the difference which i'm hoping is just something I'll adjust to overtime

Typically how many BMS students get an interview at Wayne State School of Medicine?

And how many hours a day should be spent on reviewing lecture material?

Typically how many BMS students get an interview at Wayne State School of Medicine?

And how many hours a day should be spent on reviewing lecture material?
Not many. There are only 3 in my class of 80 that I know of. It could change, since Wayne interviews through March. I have a 3.9 in the BMS and did not receive an interview thus far.

I have no idea how many students started with me, I wanna say there were around 85 at fall 2015 orientation. I liked the program because it got the job done (got me into med school) and the professors are willing to help/write rec letters. But outside of that there's no real "program" feel, it's just people who show up and take classes. My classes were probably around 50 people each, depending on what class it was.

No one does the program in two semesters unless you are planning on just getting 20 credits and dropping without getting a master's degree. I think it would be nearly impossible to do 15 credits each semester plus summer anatomy just to finish in one year. Plus then you would STILL have a year before matriculating into medical school, so why not take that time to spread out your master's degree instead of cramming it into a year and risk doing poorly.

I took a full time (8 credits or more, except for Spring where 4 is full time) each semester. This is what I did:

Fall 2015: Physio I, Biochem (8 credits)
Winter 2016: Physio II, Pharm, a one credit mini course (9 credits)

Spring 2016: Anatomy (4 credits)

Applied to medical school June 2016

Fall 2016: Epidemiology elective, Molecular Bio and Toxicology (10 credits)
Winter 2017: No courses, just my BMS essay (3 credits) and will graduate April 2017, start medical school June 2017

Hope this helps!

You're awesome! What are the professors like? Are they super helpful? Is it just one professor who teaches Physio and Pharm or do they divide it up with multiple professors for certain topics of the class?

Is there on-campus housing provided for BMS students? Do they have access to the dining hall?

Did you work during the first few semesters? How much time did you dedicate for your classes and what study strategies did you use?

For those who received A's in physio 2 and pharm, do you have any advice on how to achieve that? The most effective ways to study and how the exams are and how to study for them?

You mean to apply to BMS? They take whatever GPA your university reports. There's no separate recalculation like in medical school applications.

Thanks for your response, sounds like the BMS was a great idea for you.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get into a Michigan medical school? It would be very hard for me to move and I am wondering if many BMS graduates get into schools in the area. (DO or MD)

Thanks for your response, sounds like the BMS was a great idea for you.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get into a Michigan medical school? It would be very hard for me to move and I am wondering if many BMS graduates get into schools in the area. (DO or MD)
I got into msucom and interviewed at central :)

I got into msucom and interviewed at central :)

Congratulations! I would love to go to MSUCOM, I've always hoped it's easy to get into the Detroit campus. But I would take Lansing in a heartbeat.

Not many. There are only 3 in my class of 80 that I know of. It could change, since Wayne interviews through March. I have a 3.9 in the BMS and did not receive an interview thus far.
Hi @femmegoblue, I've been following your posts and am interested in knowing what other schools you applied to and when in terms of SMP programs. I am currently a senior with 3.1 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA and am interested in Wayne as well as the Umich MIP program. I haven' taken my MCAT yet so I will probably take the GRE next month.

Thank you!

Off of what @M123GoBlue said, @femmegoblue what type of EC's did you have when applying?

PS. Go blue! haha :)
Go blue!

I had normal college stuff: Captain of dance team for 3 years (it was an Indian team and I'm white so I guess some people think that's interesting), research assistant in Women's Health for 3 years, professional fraternity w/ leadership positions, 50 hours of shadowing (shadowed DO and MD), alternative spring break volunteer with LGBTQ organization in Detroit, volunteer intern for HIV/AIDS nonprofit through Children's Hospital in Detroit

Things that were above average imho: Student orientation leader for two summers for UM Freshman Orientation, student tour guide and campus day leader for two years, free clinic volunteer at two different clinics (one in Detroit and one in Yspi, and one had direct patient care taking vitals), clinical study coordinator for UM research group with full-time direct patient care (also with a very vulnerable and underserved population)

So I don't think I had outstanding EC's, but the things I had I did with commitment/long-term and rose to leadership within them. I was also able to really tie my experiences into a narrative of why I want to be a physician and portray that through my PS since a lot of my experiences are focused on working with the underserved.

Also I was a Women's Studies major which is off the beaten path and grabbed some schools' attention, I think.

Those are great ECs! Yeah I'm definitely the same way in terms of quality over quantity, hopefully that shows. Thanks for sharing!

There definitely is a correlation. I have spoken to program director and WSU SOM admissions about this.

Also, MSU (both CHM and COM) like this program a lot. OBV, you have to do well in it.

Last edited:
I concur with this. The people in our program who got interviewed at Wayne would have gotten interviewed whether they did a program here vs anywhere else. They had the strong grades and MCAT.

Do you keep in touch with everyone in ths program? Prog directot told me he only can find out which students went to Wayne,but not to other schools since many students don't report back