Wayne State Full Tuition vs. MSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnManJo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior and this is my first post after lurking here for a few months. I'm trying to make a decision on where to attend college this fall and have 1 month left to do it. I received the Presidential Scholarship and Honors Program acceptance yesterday from Wayne State University. However my parents and I are wondering if attending Michigan State University (with no scholarships) would be a better idea? I am accepted to the Lyman Briggs School at MSU and am an alternate for the Medical Scholars Program as well. I will definitely attend MSU if I'm accepted off of the alternate list for the MSP program a MSU. I know Wayne State has a very good medical school, but will attending it's undergrad be a "detriment" compared to attending MSU for undergrad (based on research and volunteer opportunities, name recognition, etc)? I saw there are quite a few people on SDN that are knowledgeable on both Michigan State and Wayne State, so anyone have some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

sdnManJo said:
I'm a high school senior and this is my first post after lurking here for a few months. I'm trying to make a decision on where to attend college this fall and have 1 month left to do it. I received the Presidential Scholarship and Honors Program acceptance yesterday from Wayne State University. However my parents and I are wondering if attending Michigan State University (with no scholarships) would be a better idea? I am accepted to the Lyman Briggs School at MSU and am an alternate for the Medical Scholars Program as well. I will definitely attend MSU if I'm accepted off of the alternate list for the MSP program a MSU. I know Wayne State has a very good medical school, but will attending it's undergrad be a "detriment" compared to attending MSU for undergrad (based on research and volunteer opportunities, name recognition, etc)? I saw there are quite a few people on SDN that are knowledgeable on both Michigan State and Wayne State, so anyone have some advice?

Wayne State has a very good medical school? Not that any medical school is bad, but I'm not sure I've ever heard Wayne State referred to as "very good." But I don't think it really matters very much, as I don't think going to MSU is going to be all that much more impressive than Wayne State. They are both state schools. Unless MSU has a great reputation in that part of the country that I'm unaware of.

willthatsall said:
Wayne State has a very good medical school? Not that any medical school is bad, but I'm not sure I've ever heard Wayne State referred to as "very good." But I don't think it really matters very much, as I don't think going to MSU is going to be all that much more impressive than Wayne State. They are both state schools. Unless MSU has a great reputation in that part of the country that I'm unaware of.
I don't really think Wayne vs MSU will make a difference. UMICH would be a different story though.

Members don't see this ad :)
YzIa said:
I don't really think Wayne vs MSU will make a difference. UMICH would be a different story though.

I unfortunately was deferred from UMich. Had I been accepted there, I would definitely attend. The reason I asked if Wayne vs MSU makes a difference is because I'm not sure if it matters that the adcomm has never heard of your undergraduate school before. Do interview invites depend solely on your GPA, MCAT, LORs, and extracurricular activities? Since this is MSU vs Wayne and not something like Harvard vs X State University, I assume my logic is correct? Please help a confused youngin :D

wayne and msu med schools are not going to care where you go, so long as everything else is good. When it comes to the best medical schools in the country (UM, harvard, JH, etc), they will care. But, the differences between wayne and msu, are negligable... they are both state schools, as was mentioned above. I think if I were you, I would choose wayne based on money- this is what I did (a diff school though). I chose to go to a small state school for free, rather than pay more for the reputation, but I also thought I was going into pharmacy when I chose my school...

If money isn't an option for you, then I might lean toward MSU because it is a better area and I think it's undergrad might have a little better reputation. I am kinda of in your situation- I have about a month to decide between MSU CHM and Wayne medical schools... it's not an easy decision.. good luck.

fun8stuff said:
wayne and msu med schools are not going to care where you go, so long as everything else is good. When it comes to the best medical schools in the country (UM, harvard, JH, etc), they will care. But, the differences between wayne and msu, are negligable... they are both state schools, as was mentioned above. I think if I were you, I would choose based on money. If money isn't an option for you, then I might lean toward MSU because it is a better area. I am kinda of in your situation- I have about a month to decide between MSU CHM and Wayne medical schools... it's not an easy decision.. good luck.

Thanks for the response. This is what I thought. My parents don't know much about the medical school admissions process and thought that there is a huge difference between the two schools, hence they were leaning on MSU. I would like to save my parents some money because I have a younger brother who is a freshman in high school right now, and the thought of having to pay for his college and mine at the same time is a scary thought at times.

well, MSU has a better campus but Wayne is FREE. hmm.... flip a coin!

Dr.D-man said:
well, MSU has a better campus but Wayne is FREE. hmm.... flip a coin!

Are you at Kalamazoo College or Western Michigan University by chance?

I go to MSU currently and will enter WSUSOM this fall. With all schools being equal I say go to MSU:

1) Medical Scholars Program - free ride to medical school if accepted...no MCAT required.(http://www.chm.msu.edu/chmhome/admissions/msapplication.htm)

2) All your premed classes are going to be in a movie theater anyways, might as well go to the campus with a better chance to have fun (parties/sports/etc) and enjoy yourself.

3) WSU uses B-/B/B+ grades (2.66, 3.00, 3.33) while MSU uses 2.5, 3.0, etc. This makes it a little easier to get good grades and not have to worry about "grade grubbing" (begging for a C+ as opposed to the C).

At MSU most chem (my major) classes are graded:
80+ = 4.0
75+ = 3.5
70+ = 3.0

4) I've taken classes at WSU before and would say that Michigan State is a much prettier campus if you're into hiking,canoeing, etc.

5) Sadly, I'd say WSU has more crime. Probably more so than East Lansing because of location in downtown of a major city. (although getting ****ing tear gassed last night SUCKED)

6) Most of my friends (4 went to WSU as undergrads) say that WSU is more of a "commuter school," if that's what you're into.

7) Both schools have solid research reputations. WSU might have the edge medically....

8) Cheaper Housing. Most two bedrooms will run you less than 450 and parking isn't THAT bad (compared to other college towns). Free parking on weekends and after 6pm everynight on campus.

Ok, I'm a little biased but in all honesty it comes down to where you can see yourself, PM for more ranting.

sdnManJo said:
Thanks for the response. This is what I thought. My parents don't know much about the medical school admissions process and thought that there is a huge difference between the two schools, hence they were leaning on MSU. I would like to save my parents some money because I have a younger brother who is a freshman in high school right now, and the thought of having to pay for his college and mine at the same time is a scary thought at times.

There is really not that much difference. Also keep in mind that Wayne is substantially better for clinicals than MSU. Also keep in mind that in MSU exams are every week, at Wayne once a month, at least first year, then they are like every 2 weeks in second year. Furthermore, MSU students have to leave and go to Grand Rapids, KZoo area to do their clinicals, whereas Wayne does all in the D area. Also it depends what specialty you want. Wayne has pretty much all specialties available with the exception of plastics program. If you wanna do OB/GYN, Wayne state's OB/GYN dept is one of the best in the country. Overall you have to decide which school fits you better. But overall, Wayne produces excellent clinicians, b/c a lot of them train in innercity Detroit where you can see pretty much anything. There is an abundance of cases, and you will see and get to do a ton of stuff. I would pick Wayne if I were you, but just my two cents. Best of luck.

the difference in reputation for the two schools is negligible. choose based on money and happiness.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's talking about undergrad.... :laugh:

tupac_don said:
There is really not that much difference. Also keep in mind that Wayne is substantially better for clinicals than MSU. Also keep in mind that in MSU exams are every week, at Wayne once a month, at least first year, then they are like every 2 weeks in second year. Furthermore, MSU students have to leave and go to Grand Rapids, KZoo area to do their clinicals, whereas Wayne does all in the D area. Also it depends what specialty you want. Wayne has pretty much all specialties available with the exception of plastics program. If you wanna do OB/GYN, Wayne state's OB/GYN dept is one of the best in the country. Overall you have to decide which school fits you better. But overall, Wayne produces excellent clinicians, b/c a lot of them train in innercity Detroit where you can see pretty much anything. There is an abundance of cases, and you will see and get to do a ton of stuff. I would pick Wayne if I were you, but just my two cents. Best of luck.

tupac_don said:

just a little FYI, he's trying to choose an undergrad :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrogant scUM student... :laugh: :thumbup:

Sorry, I've been in this town too long :D

LauraMac said:
just a little FYI, he's trying to choose an undergrad :)

AStudent said:
Arrogant scUM student... :laugh: :thumbup:

Sorry, I've been in this town too long :D

hey, u said it, too! ;)

Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far. I'm an alternate for the Michigan State University Medical Scholars Program right now. So if I get in, I will definitely attend MSU. I can see myself having a good undergrad experience at both schools, but MSU would probably be better seeing as how they have Big 10 sports (the UNC game was so dissapointing). The grading scale does not worry me too much. I know people at both schools doing very well. The Presidential Scholarship covers 4 years of tuition and a $1,000 housing grant for their brand new dorms at Wayne State. If I attend WSU, I will dorm there the first year at least and then get a car and an apartment, or move back home (ugh..). Being a Presidential Scholar and Honors Program member, I have easier access to research and volunteer opportunities. Wayne State also just started a new program called "Medical Fellows" that I have a good shot of getting, which sets you up with Job Shadowing opportunities in the DMC and metro-Detroit, as well as helps during the application period with mock interviews, etc. The campus is great at MSU compared to Wayne State, but I feel that the price can't be beat for WSU. I will have a good time at either school, and hopefully after 4 years of hard work, I'll be able to have some good medical school acceptances under my belt. Again, thanks for all your help everyone. I'm pretty sure I'll be attending Wayne State undergrad.

Im applying from WSU undergrad right now, and I do feel it works against me TO AN EXTENT. But a full ride looks nice :) And the new dorms are cool (you shoulda seen it here b4 the dorms! eeks). Is tehre much of a diff applying from MSU and WSU, not really except maybe for MSU CHM.

Id say pick the full ride.

AStudent said:
I guess you're right. Why spend the extra money going to school in a riot infested ghetto when you can trade it for another crime infested ghetto (the city of Detroit, not WSU)... :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/050404 (note Winnie the pooh running from the riot police)

Hahahahaha, that's awesome. The winnie the pooh picture is probably the best. My AP History teacher had some riot training when he was in the army. I'm sure he'll enjoy that pic. :laugh:

I have pictures of a panda bear getting tackled by the mounted police. When interviewed by the student newspaper just before being carted off to jail he replied "I'm a sad panda." :laugh: :laugh:

sdnManJo said:
Hahahahaha, that's awesome. The winnie the pooh picture is probably the best. My AP History teacher had some riot training when he was in the army. I'm sure he'll enjoy that pic. :laugh:

tupac_don said:
, MSU students have to leave and go to Grand Rapids, KZoo area to do their clinicals, whereas Wayne does all in the D area.

Not that it matters for undergrad, but this is not true anyway. MSUCHM students can choose between Kzoo, Grand rapids, lansing, Flint, and Saginaw for clinicals. To the OP, I loved MSU undergrad, but if I had a free ride to Wayne I would go. it will not matter which school you went to when you apply to med school.

medic170 said:
Not that it matters for undergrad, but this is not true anyway. MSUCHM students can choose between Kzoo, Grand rapids, lansing, Flint, and Saginaw for clinicals. To the OP, I loved MSU undergrad, but if I had a free ride to Wayne I would go. it will not matter which school you went to when you apply to med school.

My thoughts exactly, without the experience to know how good an MSU undergrad can be. :D

pretty damn good, let me tell you. :thumbup:

sdnManJo said:
My thoughts exactly, without the experience to know how good an MSU undergrad can be. :D

I'll be visiting my friend who was accepted to the Medical Scholars Program quite a bit. I'm sure he'll tell me all about it!

Hey sdnmanjo I had the almost the exact same situation as you 4 years ago.

I was accepted to Lyman Briggs at MSU but also to Lake Superior State with a full ride (and it’s close to my home town).

I chose the full ride at LSSU. I’ll be graduating in 3 weeks owing exactly $0.00, I have no credit card debit and I was able to use the money I would have spent on tuition to pay off a car.

I was accepted to med school at both Wayne and MSU but will be attending Wayne.

I am totally happy with my decision; the important thing is to do what you feel is best. Just work hard, get a good GPA, ace the MCAT, and party as much as possible while doing it :p

I intend to do just what you said in your last paragraph. :)

Oh c'mon, could you see Winnie the Pooh get the **** kicked out of him in Detroit? ....oh wait, nevermind.

dispgalpic.phtml.jpg

AStudent said:
Oh c'mon, could you see Winnie the Pooh get the **** kicked out of him in Detroit? ....oh wait, nevermind.

dispgalpic.phtml.jpg

So awesome.

I was in the Peanut Barrel form about 4 pm untill the games go over.

My friends and I got gassed walking to a party after.

The tear gas was horribly uncalled for, no warning at all.

Being from Canada, I don't know much about state schools. Like almost everybody else in the world, I only know about Harvard, Yale, etc.

Is Wayne State (the medical school) a good school? It is the only school I applied to in the US (hehe...because it has a really late deadline). Of course, if I am accepted into a Canadian school I will go there to save $$$. However, I would appreciate any general comments that you think I should know. I know I am being vague, but it's been a long day :rolleyes:

Basically, I am hoping if Wayne State is pretty well regarded in the US, it might make it easier for me to come back to Canada. If not, I am prepared to stay in the states to practice...and I would prefer to go to a school that is not the laughing-stock of med schools.

Sorry...I realize that may have sounded rude, but I really don't know anything about schools in the states. There are definitely way more schools than in Canada, and the "hierarchy" of good vs. not-so-good schools seems to be fairly strong...

Thanks!

caliente said:
Being from Canada, I don't know much about state schools. Like almost everybody else in the world, I only know about Harvard, Yale, etc.

Is Wayne State (the medical school) a good school? It is the only school I applied to in the US (hehe...because it has a really late deadline). Of course, if I am accepted into a Canadian school I will go there to save $$$. However, I would appreciate any general comments that you think I should know. I know I am being vague, but it's been a long day :rolleyes:

Basically, I am hoping if Wayne State is pretty well regarded in the US, it might make it easier for me to come back to Canada. If not, I am prepared to stay in the states to practice...and I would prefer to go to a school that is not the laughing-stock of med schools.

Sorry...I realize that may have sounded rude, but I really don't know anything about schools in the states. There are definitely way more schools than in Canada, and the "hierarchy" of good vs. not-so-good schools seems to be fairly strong...

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with Wayne, and FYI, almost there is really no such thing as "laughing stock" of medical schools as far as U.S. med schools are concerned. they are all regarded highly. You basically have IVY leagues and then the rest.

i

Last edited:
Hey spyder, so u lurk around here too? :) :laugh:

Not to hijack ur thread or anything, but since u guys seem to know so much, I'd appreciate any help in my decision. I'm a high school senior;

8 year BS/MD at Wayne State with full tuition, laptop, dorm, books, study aborad all paid for

VS

Full tuition at UMICH Ann Arbor.

Thnx for any input!!!! :thumbup:

hehe, hey Farvah, I posted on CC as well about what I think you should do. BTW- are you a national merit scholar finalist? Because I thought that MedStart only gives the Presidential Scholarship as well? Good luck with your decision, hopefully I'll see you on campus at Wayne State this fall!

sdnManJo said:
hehe, hey Farvah, I posted on CC as well about what I think you should do. BTW- are you a national merit scholar finalist? Because I thought that MedStart only gives the Presidential Scholarship as well? Good luck with your decision, hopefully I'll see you on campus at Wayne State this fall!

Yeah. I'm a finalist. I'm glad I'll be seeing u at Wayne this fall. I take it you didn't get off the alternate list? GL with whatever u do.

sdnManJo said:
Are you at Kalamazoo College or Western Michigan University by chance?

Western

Farvah said:
Hey spyder, so u lurk around here too? :) :laugh:

Not to hijack ur thread or anything, but since u guys seem to know so much, I'd appreciate any help in my decision. I'm a high school senior;

8 year BS/MD at Wayne State with full tuition, laptop, dorm, books, study aborad all paid for

VS

Full tuition at UMICH Ann Arbor.

Thnx for any input!!!! :thumbup:

Wow, thats quite an offer from Wayne. I'd take it if I were you. Congrats on the offers!

AStudent said:
I go to MSU currently and will enter WSUSOM this fall. With all schools being equal I say go to MSU:

1) Medical Scholars Program - free ride to medical school if accepted...no MCAT required.(http://www.chm.msu.edu/chmhome/admissions/msapplication.htm)

2) All your premed classes are going to be in a movie theater anyways, might as well go to the campus with a better chance to have fun (parties/sports/etc) and enjoy yourself.

3) WSU uses B-/B/B+ grades (2.66, 3.00, 3.33) while MSU uses 2.5, 3.0, etc. This makes it a little easier to get good grades and not have to worry about "grade grubbing" (begging for a C+ as opposed to the C).

At MSU most chem (my major) classes are graded:
80+ = 4.0
75+ = 3.5
70+ = 3.0

4) I've taken classes at WSU before and would say that Michigan State is a much prettier campus if you're into hiking,canoeing, etc.

5) Sadly, I'd say WSU has more crime. Probably more so than East Lansing because of location in downtown of a major city. (although getting ****ing tear gassed last night SUCKED)

6) Most of my friends (4 went to WSU as undergrads) say that WSU is more of a "commuter school," if that's what you're into.

7) Both schools have solid research reputations. WSU might have the edge medically....

8) Cheaper Housing. Most two bedrooms will run you less than 450 and parking isn't THAT bad (compared to other college towns). Free parking on weekends and after 6pm everynight on campus.

Ok, I'm a little biased but in all honesty it comes down to where you can see yourself, PM for more ranting.

As a State grad and (former) Michigander, I heartily concur with this assessment. A couple other points to consider:

Lyman Briggs is unique in that you would be in a residential college within the larger MSU community, which means you have a dedicated community and resources not accesible to other pre-meds at MSU. It's much smaller too and a lot more individual attention and smaller pre-med classes. Briggs also has a great reputation among medical schools that I dare say can rival that of U of M (though they would never admit as such). I went to James Madison, the other residential college on campus for pre-law wanna-be's, and it was a much better experience compared to my U of M friends who didn't learn nearly as much as I did or had as much access to top-quality profs. The profs, btw, do not teach grad courses and are dedicated to undergraduate teaching, even though they still do gobs of academic papers/research.

Don't worry about the full ride to WS vs. MSU. Since I presume you are going to med school after undergrad regardless, all of the loans you would take would be rolled into the final loan consolidation at the end of your medical education anyway. You just tack on an extra $50-70K to your $200K loan and pay it all off then anyway. Therefore, go to the place you would be happiest and receive the best education--MSU! And if you get into the Health Scholars Program, all the better.

MSU is much more of a true "college" experience, pooh bears and tear gas notwithstanding. Don't live in Cedar Village if you don't want that crap. Holmes hall (Briggs' dorm) is just fine and quiet enough.

Though I was reluctant about going to MSU, I am very very glad I did in the end. The best times of my life have involved MSU in some way, either the people I met, the experiences I had, and the memories I retain. Not to mention an education that was practical and has served me well among my peers. I even supervise two U of M grads at my job lobbying on health care issues. Hehhehehe.

In the real world, success is determined by what you know and how you apply it, not the showy piece of paper hanging on the wall. In the future, your patients will appreciate this, I am sure.

So yeah, go to State, you won't regret it.

Good luck and GO STATE!!! :luck:

booradley5 said:
As a State grad and (former) Michigander, I heartily concur with this assessment. A couple other points to consider:

Lyman Briggs is unique in that you would be in a residential college within the larger MSU community, which means you have a dedicated community and resources not accesible to other pre-meds at MSU. It's much smaller too and a lot more individual attention and smaller pre-med classes. Briggs also has a great reputation among medical schools that I dare say can rival that of U of M (though they would never admit as such). I went to James Madison, the other residential college on campus for pre-law wanna-be's, and it was a much better experience compared to my U of M friends who didn't learn nearly as much as I did or had as much access to top-quality profs. The profs, btw, do not teach grad courses and are dedicated to undergraduate teaching, even though they still do gobs of academic papers/research.

Don't worry about the full ride to WS vs. MSU. Since I presume you are going to med school after undergrad regardless, all of the loans you would take would be rolled into the final loan consolidation at the end of your medical education anyway. You just tack on an extra $50-70K to your $200K loan and pay it all off then anyway. Therefore, go to the place you would be happiest and receive the best education--MSU! And if you get into the Health Scholars Program, all the better.

MSU is much more of a true "college" experience, pooh bears and tear gas notwithstanding. Don't live in Cedar Village if you don't want that crap. Holmes hall (Briggs' dorm) is just fine and quiet enough.

Though I was reluctant about going to MSU, I am very very glad I did in the end. The best times of my life have involved MSU in some way, either the people I met, the experiences I had, and the memories I retain. Not to mention an education that was practical and has served me well among my peers. I even supervise two U of M grads at my job lobbying on health care issues. Hehhehehe.

In the real world, success is determined by what you know and how you apply it, not the showy piece of paper hanging on the wall. In the future, your patients will appreciate this, I am sure.

So yeah, go to State, you won't regret it.

Good luck and GO STATE!!! :luck:

1. As a Michiganian you should know that Michiganian is the proper term, not Michigander as many falsly believe :smuggrin: I learned that it HST 302 (Michigan History) with Dr. Rosentreter

2. I was just curious...I was a regular undergrad, not Lymann Briggs. You said the Briggs kids had access to pre-med resources that the rest of us did not. I just wondered, what resources would that be? I can't imagine what "advantage" the Briggs kids had other than the academic environment, which I was not to keen about. maybe there are some. I have to say, as far as pre-med advising and resources go, I was NOT impressed with MSU. The pre-med advisors are very taxed for time (only 2 for the whole college), impersonal, weird, refuse to write LOR's, often give you outdated or wrong information, and even told me my chances were slim when I got into several schools :rolleyes: I hope Briggs does a better job.

That said, the actual courses as MSU were very challenging and well developed, the campus can't be beat, the social life is great, and the administration is very student friendly. MSU def does not get enough credit, but I would still go with the free ride rather than add another 50-70K to an already enourmoous debt (which I had to do). In the end, I will have a total of over 250K to pay back with my undergrad, and if I could have got a free ride to Wayne I would have taken it, even thouigh I think MSU is a better experience. If money is not a big deal though, I say MSU for sure. I loved it here, so much that I am staying here for medical school too :thumbup:

OH, BTW someone said you could get a 2 bedroom for less than 450 a month..not true. 2 bedroom apartments run at least 550, with most into the 600 range in East lansing and Okemos. MSU on campus housing(dorms and apartments) is going up another 5% next fall too.

medic170 said:
1. As a Michiganian you should know that Michiganian is the proper term, not Michigander as many falsly believe :smuggrin: I learned that it HST 302 (Michigan History) with Dr. Rosentreter

2. I was just curious...I was a regular undergrad, not Lymann Briggs. You said the Briggs kids had access to pre-med resources that the rest of us did not. I just wondered, what resources would that be? I can't imagine what "advantage" the Briggs kids had other than the academic environment, which I was not to keen about. maybe there are some. I have to say, as far as pre-med advising and resources go, I was NOT impressed with MSU. The pre-med advisors are very taxed for time (only 2 for the whole college), impersonal, weird, refuse to write LOR's, often give you outdated or wrong information, and even told me my chances were slim when I got into several schools :rolleyes: I hope Briggs does a better job.

Please, fellow Spartan, don't flame me on Michigander. I lived in Michigan for 15 years and NEVER heard someone use Michiganian. Though it may be "proper,' it is still an acceptable term. A little google search pulled this up:

Michigander (mish-uh-GAN-der) is a demonym for residents of the State of Michigan. It coexists with Michiganian (mish-uh-GAIN-ee-un) and Michiganer, and various Michigan residents may prefer one or the other. Michigander was originally pejorative, but has since lost much of its negative connotation. Some use Michigander to indicate any resident of Michigan, but Michiganian to indicate an alumn of the University of Michigan. [Emphasis mine.]

Origin

The word Michigander is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, coined when he was a Whig representative in Congress. On July 27, 1848, Lincoln made a speech against Lewis Cass, the first governor of the Michigan Territory. Cass was running for president on a "popular sovereignty" platform that would have let states conquered in the Mexican War decide whether or not to legalize slavery. Lincoln accused the Democrats of campaigning on the former President Andrew Jackson's coattails by playing up their own their military accomplishments.

"But in my hurry I was very near closing on the subject of military tails before I was done with it. There is one entire article of the sort I have not discussed yet; I mean the military tail you Democrats are now engaged in dovetailing onto the great Michigander [i.e. Lewis Cass]."

Lincoln thus combined Michigan with gander to form a nickname that made Cass sound foolish like a goose. Nevertheless many Michigan residents preferred the sound of Michigander (which more closely parallels the pronunciation of Michigan) to Michiganian, and the word remains popular to this day.

-- Did your prof go to U of M?

That said, Michigander is acceptable in common usage and I will continue to use it.

As for advising at Lyman Briggs, check this out http://www.lymanbriggs.msu.edu/academics/advising.html

Granted, I did not go to Lyman Briggs myself, but two roommates of mine did and one went to vet school, one to med school (a full ride to Wayne State, ironically).

booradley5 said:
Please, fellow Spartan, don't flame me on Michigander. I lived in Michigan for 15 years and NEVER heard someone use Michiganian. Though it may be "proper,' it is still an acceptable term. A little google search pulled this up:

Michigander (mish-uh-GAN-der) is a demonym for residents of the State of Michigan. It coexists with Michiganian (mish-uh-GAIN-ee-un) and Michiganer, and various Michigan residents may prefer one or the other. Michigander was originally pejorative, but has since lost much of its negative connotation. Some use Michigander to indicate any resident of Michigan, but Michiganian to indicate an alumn of the University of Michigan. [Emphasis mine.]

Origin

The word Michigander is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, coined when he was a Whig representative in Congress. On July 27, 1848, Lincoln made a speech against Lewis Cass, the first governor of the Michigan Territory. Cass was running for president on a "popular sovereignty" platform that would have let states conquered in the Mexican War decide whether or not to legalize slavery. Lincoln accused the Democrats of campaigning on the former President Andrew Jackson's coattails by playing up their own their military accomplishments.

"But in my hurry I was very near closing on the subject of military tails before I was done with it. There is one entire article of the sort I have not discussed yet; I mean the military tail you Democrats are now engaged in dovetailing onto the great Michigander [i.e. Lewis Cass]."

Lincoln thus combined Michigan with gander to form a nickname that made Cass sound foolish like a goose. Nevertheless many Michigan residents preferred the sound of Michigander (which more closely parallels the pronunciation of Michigan) to Michiganian, and the word remains popular to this day.

-- Did your prof go to U of M?

That said, Michigander is acceptable in common usage and I will continue to use it.

As for advising at Lyman Briggs, check this out http://www.lymanbriggs.msu.edu/academics/advising.html

Granted, I did not go to Lyman Briggs myself, but two roommates of mine did and one went to vet school, one to med school (a full ride to Wayne State, ironically).

Nobody flamed you, that is why I put the sarcastic laughing guy in the post. I am sorry that you felt that you had to take all that time to write all that over one stupid word, for which you proved, and admitted, me correct anyway sheesh :rolleyes: (BTW, I have been a Michigan Resident for 29 years, so I have you beat ;) ) I don't know where my prof got hid PhD, but I do know he is the chief editor of Michigan History Magazine. Anyway, use whatever word you want, I don't care. Plenty of people say "don't" when they should say "doesn't" too, and I correct them on their grammar as well ;)

Also, I checked out your link. All that stuff is for undergrad advising. For pre-med and pre-professional advising, it links you to the college of natural science outside of Briggs, so I still do not see where they get any more premedical resources.

Michigander or Michiganian, whatever, I would rather not get into a debate over semantics here. I didn't write ALL of that out, just a nice cut and paste job from an online encyclopedia showing that it's common usage and the etymology of the word.

All tangents asude, the purpose of this is to help someone choose whether to go to MSU or WSU.

As for Briggs, I am going off of what I learned from my roommates who were always meeting with their "advisors" and felt they got a lot of help getting LOC and general pre-med advising. Just like my advisors over at JMC were not specifically pre-law advisors, I got an LOC from two of them and plenty of great advising that was not strictly in the academic advising purview. At Briggs I would assume it is no different. If you were having problems getting a committee letter, I am sure they would help out--which you would not get from outside Briggs.

Of course, I would advise anyone to go to Briggs and ask all those questions for themselves.

PS--that sarcastic laughing guy looks more angry to me, but I'm on a Mac so maybe it's screwed up and not animating himself into some hilariously funny smily guy.

I live in Berrytree, directly across from MSU, within walking distance of the medical school, right on the busline (23), and in Meridian Township/Okemos. I live in a two bedroom apartment with a courtyard/fountain view, have free parking, and live on the top floor. Most people who live here are medical students or old people.

I pay $419 per month with a typical electric bill of $25.

Which is less than $450

OH, BTW someone said you could get a 2 bedroom for less than 450 a month..not true. 2 bedroom apartments run at least 550, with most into the 600 range in East lansing and Okemos.

booradley5 said:
Michigander or Michiganian, whatever, I would rather not get into a debate over semantics here. I didn't write ALL of that out, just a nice cut and paste job from an online encyclopedia showing that it's common usage and the etymology of the word.

All tangents asude, the purpose of this is to help someone choose whether to go to MSU or WSU.

As for Briggs, I am going off of what I learned from my roommates who were always meeting with their "advisors" and felt they got a lot of help getting LOC and general pre-med advising. Just like my advisors over at JMC were not specifically pre-law advisors, I got an LOC from two of them and plenty of great advising that was not strictly in the academic advising purview. At Briggs I would assume it is no different. If you were having problems getting a committee letter, I am sure they would help out--which you would not get from outside Briggs.

Of course, I would advise anyone to go to Briggs and ask all those questions for themselves.

PS--that sarcastic laughing guy looks more angry to me, but I'm on a Mac so maybe it's screwed up and not animating himself into some hilariously funny smily guy.

As for the debate on "Michigander" vs."Michiganian", I am going to have to cast my vote toward Michigander. Having only lived in Michigan all of my 22 years, I have heard both terms, but I have heard Michigander used much, much more. I hail from the west coast area, so perhaps it's different in my part of the woods....

fun8stuff said:
As for the debate on "Michigander" vs."Michiganian", I am going to have to cast my vote toward Michigander. Having only lived in Michigan all of my 22 years, I have heard both terms, but I have heard Michigander used much, much more. I hail from the west coast area, so perhaps it's different in my part of the woods....

Semi-Officially, according to the michigan historical society its michiganian. However, in the northern part of the state (and most others) if you said that everyone would b!tch the hell out of you and say you weren't really from michigan. A couple years ago they tried to make michiganian the offical title for citizens and it was shot down by a huge margin.

AStudent said:
I live in Berrytree, directly across from MSU, within walking distance of the medical school, right on the busline (23), and in Meridian Township/Okemos. I live in a two bedroom apartment with a courtyard/fountain view, have free parking, and live on the top floor. Most people who live here are medical students or old people.

I pay $419 per month with a typical electric bill of $25.

Which is less than $450

You must be under a very old rental lease. This comes directly from their web site, and a 2 bed is $745. Even the Studio is $555, so what I said was true. They are nowhere near $450. Maybe you have a roomate and you are talking about your half of the rent?

Community Information

Berrytree Apartments
2950 Whitehall Dr,
Okemos, Michigan

Welcome Home to Berrytree. We offer spacious floorplans and unique architectural design. These features along with unsurpassed resident services create the ultimate experience in apartment living that you expect and deserve.

Additional Community Detail

Floor Plan Sq. Ft. Deposit Availability Rent From
Studio 1 Bath 500 $200 Call $555
1 Bed 1 Bath 675 $200 Call $600
2 Bed 1 Bath 1,000 $200 Call $745

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f....jhtml?pid=5968&gate=yahoo&source=a2yaat2t857

BTW I am not trying to bust your chops, I just don't want people to get the wrong information. I just got done apartment hunting this year, so I think my assessment of rental costs in the area is pretty up to date and accurate.

Thrice said:
Semi-Officially, according to the michigan historical society its michiganian. However, in the northern part of the state (and most others) if you said that everyone would b!tch the hell out of you and say you weren't really from michigan. A couple years ago they tried to make michiganian the offical title for citizens and it was shot down by a huge margin.

This is direct from the Secretary of State. It looks like we were all right, although I still do not like Michigander because of its negative origins, and Michiganian appears to be the winner as far as historical use and frequency goes.

Michiganian or Michigander?
The Web site of the Michigan Historical Center uses Michiganian. Michiganian has a long history. It is the term used for the state's citizens in The Collections of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society since the 1870s and in Michigan History magazine since just after the turn of the 20th century. But people who call Michigan their home use the word they like best, and there is no "official" term.

I'm a first yr at MSU CHM(med schl) and I went here undergrad, even my friends from undergrad that are now in other grad/med progs say that they are yet to come across a campus like MSU. In regards to great campus/undergrad experience, I'd say MSU is up there and I wouldnt trade my yrs there for anything.
Do y'all know what the Med scholars prog is?? The poster is an alternate for it meaning he could get in, meaning they wont have to take the MCAT, and are just about guaranteed a spot in med schl as long as they meet certain requirements which most always do!!! I dont know about y'all, but I know how hard the MCAT was to overcome for my friends and I and if I had a choice not have taken it, then maybe I would be graduating right now from med schl in May and not be a 1st yr!!(MCAT couldnt hold me back for too long tho :D)

Folks say go with the free ride, easier said than done, now if that was med schl that would be totally different, but since its undergrad pls think carefully about ur decision, undergrad yrs are one of the best yrs of anyone's life, u find yourself, become an adult, and get to experience life in a way you wont ever again.

Goodluck!!

Well....duh. Why else would you live in a two bedroom if you didn't have a roommate? :rolleyes:

I signed my lease last May, and the POINT of the post was to say that apartments are cheaper up here rather than down there. (and with better parking)

medic170 said:
You must be under a very old rental lease. This comes directly from their web site, and a 2 bed is $745. Even the Studio is $555, so what I said was true. They are nowhere near $450. Maybe you have a roomate and you are talking about your half of the rent?

Community Information

Berrytree Apartments
2950 Whitehall Dr,
Okemos, Michigan

Welcome Home to Berrytree. We offer spacious floorplans and unique architectural design. These features along with unsurpassed resident services create the ultimate experience in apartment living that you expect and deserve.

Additional Community Detail

Floor Plan Sq. Ft. Deposit Availability Rent From
Studio 1 Bath 500 $200 Call $555
1 Bed 1 Bath 675 $200 Call $600
2 Bed 1 Bath 1,000 $200 Call $745

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f....jhtml?pid=5968&gate=yahoo&source=a2yaat2t857

BTW I am not trying to bust your chops, I just don't want people to get the wrong information. I just got done apartment hunting this year, so I think my assessment of rental costs in the area is pretty up to date and accurate.