Wayne State living questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a specific apartment complex in Royal Oak that medical students tend to rent at?

Additionaly, for those students who live in Detroit, where do you guys go for gas? Do you have to venture outside of Detroit to fill up your cars or are there safe places near Scott Hall? Same question for grocery shopping. Any safe places in Detroit? How is Eastern Market?

I read online that Riverfront is building a market in there complex. Is this done? If so, is it pricey?

Thanks all, I am still trying to figure out my living arrangements for next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a specific apartment complex in Royal Oak that medical students tend to rent at?

Additionaly, for those students who live in Detroit, where do you guys go for gas? Do you have to venture outside of Detroit to fill up your cars or are there safe places near Scott Hall? Same question for grocery shopping. Any safe places in Detroit? How is Eastern Market?

I read online that Riverfront is building a market in there complex. Is this done? If so, is it pricey?

Thanks all, I am still trying to figure out my living arrangements for next year.

I'm not sure about any single apartment complex that people use in Royal Oak. I am a bit biased against living downtown. Detroit still has a way to go before it becomes the type of city that most people want to live in. However, RO is a good option. I live in Grosse Pointe, and that works well for me.

I've heard that it kind of breaks down this way (which is consistent with my own experience); 1/3 of the class lives in Detroit, 1/3 live in RO, and 1/3 live all over the place. Wayne State is a great place to go to med school. I'm very happy so far. But, there's not a ton of cohesion w/r/t living arrangements. However, there ARE a few places in Detroit that have a lot of med students living there (just not sure about RO). University Towers is one I've heard about.

In terms of conveniences etc., Detroit really does lack some of that. Again, I'm biased, but it just doesn't strike me as the type of place were you step out of your apartment in the a.m., and walk down to any myriad of coffee shops etc. like you can do in most other major cities. Hopefully others will chip in with more experience living in Detroit, because I can't be too helpful there. But, I'd seriously consider one of the closer suburbs that surround the city.

Hey all,

check out the wayne state class thread on these forums for some more answers. There are a couple of gas stations on Warren and chrysler (within like a mile from scott hall) that I always go to before getting on I94/I75. They are as safe as any other gas station, at least in daylight.

There is nothing wrong with living downtown if you live in one of the big complexes.... i.e. riverfront, riverview, laffeyette towers, university towers, the towers, milender center, and i am sure there are a handful i am forgetting. If you want to live downtown, make sure you get secured parking (in a structure) and be prepared to shell out at least $1000/month. I know people paying $500/month and are happy who havent had any problems, but their living conditions are not as nice as some of the other big apartment complexes.

Most people I know who live downtown travel about 20-30 mins to shop at meijer.... but I have heard of Eastern Market, where you can buy things.. MY experience is limited, as I do not live downtown yet. Royal Oak is a good option if you want that college-city feel... like Ann Arbor. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replys. I went apartment shopping a few days ago in the Detroit area and felt as though I would be a prisoner within whatever apartment complex I was living in (basically if I wanted something I could not simply walk a block to get it as I currently do at my undergraduate campus). Riverfront and Lafeyette Towers were nice but again I felt as though I would be limited to my apartment and Scott Hall and that is it (unless I traveled to the suburbs). I am going to be looking at some places in Royal Oak in a few weeks and would appreciate some suggestions on places to look at.

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I went apartment shopping a few days ago in the Detroit area and felt as though I would be a prisoner within whatever apartment complex I was living in (basically if I wanted something I could not simply walk a block to get it as I currently do at my undergraduate campus). Riverfront and Lafeyette Towers were nice but again I felt as though I would be limited to my apartment and Scott Hall and that is it (unless I traveled to the suburbs). I am going to be looking at some places in Royal Oak in a few weeks and would appreciate some suggestions on places to look at.

Thanks

Royal Oak is probably more of what you are looking for. However, I know very little about the city... my friends and I live elseware. You could try asking this question on the Wayne State Class Thread, you might get some more answers.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739&page=3

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I was eluding to. Some people are really commited to the plight of the city, and tend to fool themselves into believing that it's not so bad. Personally, I would never want to live downtown. There's zilch going on, and a serious lack of conveniences. It's sad, really.

That being said, there are MANY other great options for you in the surrounding areas. Also, Wayne State has been a great med school so far, and I feel great about being there. Good luck in your search.

Hey all,

Dude, if you go to Wayne State don't creep around there past daylight. My buddie goes to school there and got jumped in their parking lot and stabbed! Also, on New Years if your driving down 8 mile all the dudes start shooting their guns up in the sky at midnight. It was so bad at the party I was at they parked my Expo in so no one could hijack it. Also, have fun driving I-94 with all the twists and turns when its Icy. Granny-No-Goods are always flying around the bends going 80 and that's why there are like 60 car pile-ups.. Enjoy...

Dude, if you go to Wayne State don't creep around there past daylight. My buddie goes to school there and got jumped in their parking lot and stabbed! Also, on New Years if your driving down 8 mile all the dudes start shooting their guns up in the sky at midnight. It was so bad at the party I was at they parked my Expo in so no one could hijack it. Also, have fun driving I-94 with all the twists and turns when its Icy. Granny-No-Goods are always flying around the bends going 80 and that's why there are like 60 car pile-ups.. Enjoy...

you know, i really can't find any truth in anything you said... I94 does not have twists and turns and there (look at a map) have been no 60 car pile ups.... what a great imagination you have.

Thanks
I've lived downtown for a few years now and would definitely reccommend it, at least for the first 3 years. The fact of the matter is that during those years, your life outside of the campus will be somewhat limited, especially if you are one of those people who go to class on a consistant basis. Coffee shops are in low supply in the city, but it is nice to actually be able to go bar hopping without drinking and driving by just hopping on the people mover. As for groceries, I typically drive out to one of the burbs, but I'd rather do that once a week, than have to make the same drive every day to get to school and back. Not to mention, that I can get to mainstreet in RO in 15 min non-rushhour, that's the same amount of time it would take to get there from many places in RO or the surrounding communities themselves.

Just beware when people tell you its only a 15 min drive to get to school, because during peak times I75 can be like a parking lot.

And for the record, I have never been robbed, shot, stabbed, or had anything stolen from me despite walking most areas of downtown during all times of the night. However, that's because I am cautious, know where I am going, and don't act like an a**. Most of the serious crime in Detroit takes place in the neighborhoods and is drug related or amongst people who know eachother. If you look at the statistics, Downtown is as safe as any other big city.

I've lived downtown for a few years now and would definitely reccommend it, at least for the first 3 years. The fact of the matter is that during those years, your life outside of the campus will be somewhat limited, especially if you are one of those people who go to class on a consistant basis. Coffee shops are in low supply in the city, but it is nice to actually be able to go bar hopping without drinking and driving by just hopping on the people mover. As for groceries, I typically drive out to one of the burbs, but I'd rather do that once a week, than have to make the same drive every day to get to school and back. Not to mention, that I can get to mainstreet in RO in 15 min non-rushhour, that's the same amount of time it would take to get there from many places in RO or the surrounding communities themselves.

Just beware when people tell you its only a 15 min drive to get to school, because during peak times I75 can be like a parking lot.

And for the record, I have never been robbed, shot, stabbed, or had anything stolen from me despite walking most areas of downtown during all times of the night. However, that's because I am cautious, know where I am going, and don't act like an a**. Most of the serious crime in Detroit takes place in the neighborhoods and is drug related or amongst people who know eachother. If you look at the statistics, Downtown is as safe as any other big city.

I currently commute on 94 and it sucks so bad. Non-rush hour it is about 25 mins... during rush hour 45-90mins. I hate driving. I will be moving downtown this summer...

you know, i really can't find any truth in anything you said... I94 does not have twists and turns and there (look at a map) have been no 60 car pile ups.... what a great imagination you have.

ok, so the 64 car pile-up was a little bit sarcastic. But, a 4 car pile-up is normal. Also, there is truth to bends and twists driving through Detroit on I-94, 94 is basically straight until you get to the center of Detroit where there are alot of bends and twists (north of Wayne State exit). How do I know this? I use to live there for 2 years and drove it everyday... The map doesn't show Jack...

It seems I will be in Detroit in the Fall. Trying to find places to stay online, which is a lot harder than it seems. Just a couple of questions for those already there:

1) I know a lot of people live out in the Burbs because Wayne simulcasts lectures there (is it in Royal Oak?) But how often are you required to be on campus for clinical traning, labs, et? Speaking of which, besides Clinical training, is anything else absolutely required attendance, like labs, symposia, meetings, et? I'm just trying to figure out how often I would have to drive downtown, if I decided to live in the burbs and attend the simulcast lectures.

2) Not many rentals downtown offer parking. Most state theres on-street parking. Is on-street parking generally available downtown? Do you need a permit (I'm out of state and dont want to change my residency)?

3) I forget from the tour, but is the library open 24 hours? Are there rooms in Scott Hall that are accessible 24 hours? I'm a night owl...

Thanks for the help guys.

PS Whats up with the Class of 2011 thread? Isnt the Wayne class supposed to be huge?

It seems I will be in Detroit in the Fall. Trying to find places to stay online, which is a lot harder than it seems. Just a couple of questions for those already there:

1) I know a lot of people live out in the Burbs because Wayne simulcasts lectures there (is it in Royal Oak?) But how often are you required to be on campus for clinical traning, labs, et? Speaking of which, besides Clinical training, is anything else absolutely required attendance, like labs, symposia, meetings, et? I'm just trying to figure out how often I would have to drive downtown, if I decided to live in the burbs and attend the simulcast lectures.

2) Not many rentals downtown offer parking. Most state theres on-street parking. Is on-street parking generally available downtown? Do you need a permit (I'm out of state and dont want to change my residency)?

3) I forget from the tour, but is the library open 24 hours? Are there rooms in Scott Hall that are accessible 24 hours? I'm a night owl...

PS Whats up with the Class of 2011 thread? Isnt the Wayne class supposed to be huge?

1) i am not sure where wayne "simulcasts" lectures to.... oakwood campus? It is going to vary how often you have to go in. During first year, you will have to go at least once (maybe twice) a week for clinmed. Certain units will have required labs 1-2 days a week, which you will have to attend. I am a M2 and I try and stay home and avoid driving as much as I can, but I still would say I average having to go in 2 days a week. A couple weeks ago, I was there every day for one thing or another.

2) I thought there were a handful of rentals downtown that offerred parking, although at an extra charge. In my opinion, I would recommend finding a place that offers secured parking so you do not have to park on the street. Although I do have a friend who parks on street consistently (only a few blocks from scott hall) and has not had a problem in 2 years.

3) Library and Scott Hall are open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Members don't see this ad :)

Re: the "Class of xxxx" threads there usually isn't much action there for WSU because most of us spend our time at the "Wayne State Univeristy" thread (now on part 2). (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180118) & (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739)
I would suggest contacting Tracy at the Student Affairs office and ask her about the roommate list that she puts together every year.

First off, yeah its the Oakwood wayne campus where the lectures are simulcast. And you actually dont need to go to Scott Hall for clinmed. They give you credit for attending if you go to Oakwood. I've never used it but took a tour of that campus during orientation, and its really really nice.

I currently live in RO, bout half a mile from the downtown area. My commute to school is around 12 minutes with no traffic, and around 20-30 when there is (worse now cause the lodge is down till Sep or something). I live right on I-696 so I take that to 75 normally all the way to school. Usually I make due by not going to class unless they start at 10am so I can skip traffic.

It seems to me that if you are looking for housing in RO, your best bet is getting a house or a condo. Try and find roommates and split the rent for one of these places and it wont be too pricey. Although, if you live downtown it is WAY cheaper.

In terms of living in RO, I love it. Everyone is right in saying that we basically have no free time, but I am close enough to the downtown area to ride my bike to one of the many coffee shops in the summer (which I do almost daily) to study. Also, if there is an post-exam party in downtown RO (which is like 1 out of every 3 parties) I can just walk to the bars.

Hey dude. Welcome to Wayne. Detroit's not a super awesome city, but it does have it's moments. Also, it's drastically improving, with a fair amount of investment coming into the city. It's a step in the right direction. Also, while I'm not a proponent of living downtown, I should say that I've never lived downtown, so I could be biased.

I've found Wayne great thus far. At first, you'll have histology and anatomy labs. So, you'll have to be on campus for the first few months. Then, you could simply stream the lectures at home. These lectures are uploaded about 3-4 hours after the time the lectures end. But, there is that "Oakland Center" where you can watch them real time if you want. Also, you can have people at the Oakland Center (pretty sure that's what it's called) certify that you've "attended" some required lectures in Clinical Medicine.

After anatomy and histo, you'll need to be on campus (or perhaps at an agreed upon outside location, depending on your preceptor)at least once per week for mandatory small group sessions for clinical medicine (this is first year). Also, there are some non-mandatory labs and clinical case studies that are NOT streamed since they are small group oriented. This varies in frequency from 1/month to once/wk.

I've heard from MS2's (even ones that did not go to class much during 1st year) that they spend much more time on campus during second year. This is due to more labs and more clinical medicine activities. So, they just stay there.

Anyway, good luck. You'll enjoy Wayne. Good place to be.:thumbup:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Are there safe places to get gas or grocery shop?? No, people risk their lives everyday just to drive and be able to get food. :thumbdown: Grow up. That is so insulting. Whether or not you feel safe somewhere and if it actually is safe are 2 different things. Stop basing opinions off the media. These threads are so stupid because all you get is media biased people who have never lived a day in Detroit. 4 car pile-ups are common on I-94? That is ridiculous. Please stop spreading this type of stuff.

Hey dude. Welcome to Wayne. Detroit's not a super awesome city, but it does have it's moments. Also, it's drastically improving, with a fair amount of investment coming into the city. It's a step in the right direction. Also, while I'm not a proponent of living downtown, I should say that I've never lived downtown, so I could be biased.

I've found Wayne great thus far. At first, you'll have histology and anatomy labs. So, you'll have to be on campus for the first few months. Then, you could simply stream the lectures at home. These lectures are uploaded about 3-4 hours after the time the lectures end. But, there is that "Oakland Center" where you can watch them real time if you want. Also, you can have people at the Oakland Center (pretty sure that's what it's called) certify that you've "attended" some required lectures in Clinical Medicine.

After anatomy and histo, you'll need to be on campus (or perhaps at an agreed upon outside location, depending on your preceptor)at least once per week for mandatory small group sessions for clinical medicine (this is first year). Also, there are some non-mandatory labs and clinical case studies that are NOT streamed since they are small group oriented. This varies in frequency from 1/month to once/wk.

I've heard from MS2's (even ones that did not go to class much during 1st year) that they spend much more time on campus during second year. This is due to more labs and more clinical medicine activities. So, they just stay there.

Anyway, good luck. You'll enjoy Wayne. Good place to be.:thumbup:

For the last few months (perhaps since oct-nov), they have been getting lectures up for year 2's within 20 mins after lecture. I can generally read through all lectures and watch all lectures in the same amount of time people would spend in scott hall only watching them. It rocks!

There are parts of year 2, especially in first half of the year, where I could spend a couple weeks at home without going to class at all. Now that physical diagnosis has started (january), I may not go to Scott hall everyday, but I have to go into the hospital or clinical skills center twice a week. Then if there are any labs, I will generally go in for those (since they are not streamed).

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Are there safe places to get gas or grocery shop?? No, people risk their lives everyday just to drive and be able to get food. :thumbdown: Grow up. That is so insulting. Whether or not you feel safe somewhere and if it actually is safe are 2 different things. Stop basing opinions off the media. These threads are so stupid because all you get is media biased people who have never lived a day in Detroit. 4 car pile-ups are common on I-94? That is ridiculous. Please stop spreading this type of stuff.

I have lived on 3 major highways in Michigan and there are the same amount of accidents on 94 as any other highway. The thing that sucks about 94, which sucks for any major highway by a big city, is that during rush hour people are *****s, it gets congested, and takes a hell of a long time to get anywhere.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Are there safe places to get gas or grocery shop?? No, people risk their lives everyday just to drive and be able to get food. :thumbdown: Grow up. That is so insulting. Whether or not you feel safe somewhere and if it actually is safe are 2 different things. Stop basing opinions off the media. These threads are so stupid because all you get is media biased people who have never lived a day in Detroit.[/COLOR] 4 car pile-ups are common on I-94? That is ridiculous. Please stop spreading this type of stuff.

I am not basing my above questions on simply the media. My father, whom I respect more than anyone else, spent four years attending Wayne State University and living in Detroit. He told me that one of the disadvantages to living in Detroit (at least when he went to Wayne) was the fact that when he wanted to purchase gas or go shopping for food, he went to the suburbs. Granted things have probably changed in the last 20-30 years I was wondering to what extent? Instead of bashing me why don't you answer the questions. What gas station do you go to for gas? Where do you shop for groceries? Are these hard questions to answer?

I am not basing my above questions on simply the media. My father, whom I respect more than anyone else, spent four years attending Wayne State University and living in Detroit. He told me that one of the disadvantages to living in Detroit (at least when he went to Wayne) was the fact that when he wanted to purchase gas or go shopping for food, he went to the suburbs. Granted things have probably changed in the last 20-30 years I was wondering to what extent? Instead of bashing me why don't you answer the questions. What gas station do you go to for gas? Where do you shop for groceries? Are these hard questions to answer?

No they are not hard questions they are just silly questions. There is no select gas station with a halo hovering over it saying pick me. Sure there are gas stations at night that wouldnt be the safest choice. But Wayne State is not in this type of area. I apologize if I came off as bashing you but I am just frustrated with people making huge generalizations about Detroit based on the media's portrayal. But like i said, not feeling safe and being safe are two separate things. I cannot help it if someone doesnt "feel" safe. The fact is, Detroit is an urban enviroment and thus has crime like other urban environments. But this does not mean that you are walking into a warzone. Ordinary people go shopping and get gas everyday. These are not places that target areas for crime. Wayne State is not in an area where you will get randomly hit by a stray bullet. There is a high crime rate in Detroit, but for the most part, this involves people that are involved in illegal activity. Detroit does not have gangs or people doing drive-bys anymore. Is there a risk of getting mugged? Sure, but not anymore so than any other urban environment. These days people are flooding the streets of downtown in the evenings for events, games,and other shows. And for the most part,these are people coming into the city from the suburbs. So, contrary to popular belief, Detroit (at least the areas that concern med students) is much safer than people think.

No they are not hard questions they are just silly questions. There is no select gas station with a halo hovering over it saying pick me. Sure there are gas stations at night that wouldnt be the safest choice. But Wayne State is not in this type of area. I apologize if I came off as bashing you but I am just frustrated with people making huge generalizations about Detroit based on the media's portrayal. But like i said, not feeling safe and being safe are two separate things. I cannot help it if someone doesnt "feel" safe. The fact is, Detroit is an urban enviroment and thus has crime like other urban environments. But this does not mean that you are walking into a warzone. Ordinary people go shopping and get gas everyday. These are not places that target areas for crime. Wayne State is not in an area where you will get randomly hit by a stray bullet. There is a high crime rate in Detroit, but for the most part, this involves people that are involved in illegal activity. Detroit does not have gangs or people doing drive-bys anymore. Is there a risk of getting mugged? Sure, but not anymore so than any other urban environment. These days people are flooding the streets of downtown in the evenings for events, games,and other shows. And for the most part,these are people coming into the city from the suburbs. So, contrary to popular belief, Detroit (at least the areas that concern med students) is much safer than people think.

What is the average price for a one bedroom and two bedroom for one of the better apartments in Detroit? And is U Towers probably the best place to be ?

What is the average price for a one bedroom and two bedroom for one of the better apartments in Detroit? And is U Towers probably the best place to be ?

There are no new apartment complexes near the medical center. Rents in some of the older 30's-era buildings run 400-600 for a 1 bed. All of the nicer places that I found were warehouse condo conversions, which yield some nice loft apartments, but run $800+.

From what I can tell, the best option seems to be to find an apt that you like in one of the older buildings really really close to Scott Hall.

Do any current Wayne people have any experience with purchasing condos/lofts near Wayne? Any feedback?

First, it depends on when your dad was there. Detroit's had it's ups and downs over the years, but I'd say the city in general is on it's way up. Now, certainly, there are still a LOT of problems, but there are improvements such as large corporate investments that tend to set the trend. Then, more shops open up, and there will be more conveniences etc. And, ofcourse, it depends on where you're at in Detroit. Not all places are bad.

I graduated from Wayne State in 2005, and for the first 3 years of med school, I lived at Riverfront Towers. It was a nice commute (10 min to Scott Hall, with minimal time on freeways, so traffic really wasn't an issue), and I felt safe there living alone as there was 24 hour guard-gated access. The little grocery store there is really tiny and overpriced, so I only shopped there if it was an emergency (ie - I was in the middle of cooking something and ran out of an ingredient, etc). Otherwise, I'd go to Meijer in one of the suburbs (usually either Madison Heights/Troy or Lavonia). I got married at the end of third year of med school, and my husband and I moved to an apartment in Madison Heights (very close to Royal Oak and Troy) - it was a gated community called "The Heights" and was on 13 Mile and John R (I think). Tons of shopping/groceries all around (Meijer next door, Oakland Mall just a mile away), and about a 20 min commute to Scott Hall going on I-75. We liked it.

As for getting gas downtown, I filled up at any of the gas stations right around Scott Hall. Almost all of the time it was during daylight hours. I never had any problem. I remember that during orientation, one of the speakers told us that one of the gas stations around there was owned by a retired police officer, and it was safe to get gas there as lots of cops filled up there. I can't recall the name of that particular gas station, but it was near the medical bookstore and the Whitney..

I'm not sure how much things have changed in the past 2 years as I've since left Michigan for residency, but I hope this helps. And, congrats on Wayne State! You will receive a great education there.

I graduated from Wayne State in 2005, and for the first 3 years of med school, I lived at Riverfront Towers. It was a nice commute (10 min to Scott Hall, with minimal time on freeways, so traffic really wasn't an issue), and I felt safe there living alone as there was 24 hour guard-gated access. The little grocery store there is really tiny and overpriced, so I only shopped there if it was an emergency (ie - I was in the middle of cooking something and ran out of an ingredient, etc). Otherwise, I'd go to Meijer in one of the suburbs (usually either Madison Heights/Troy or Lavonia). I got married at the end of third year of med school, and my husband and I moved to an apartment in Madison Heights (very close to Royal Oak and Troy) - it was a gated community called "The Heights" and was on 13 Mile and John R (I think). Tons of shopping/groceries all around (Meijer next door, Oakland Mall just a mile away), and about a 20 min commute to Scott Hall going on I-75. We liked it.

As for getting gas downtown, I filled up at any of the gas stations right around Scott Hall. Almost all of the time it was during daylight hours. I never had any problem. I remember that during orientation, one of the speakers told us that one of the gas stations around there was owned by a retired police officer, and it was safe to get gas there as lots of cops filled up there. I can't recall the name of that particular gas station, but it was near the medical bookstore and the Whitney..

I'm not sure how much things have changed in the past 2 years as I've since left Michigan for residency, but I hope this helps. And, congrats on Wayne State! You will receive a great education there.

just here to give a :thumbup: for the thread.

i answered the gas stations above...? ??

The average is probably $1000-1100/month (not including all utilities) for a 2 bedroom at one of the nicer complexes. University towers is nice in that it is ~$900/month (all utilities.. and internet?) for a 2 bedroom. The downside with the towers is that there are no dishwashers and no washing/dryers in unit.

I have some friends living in Renaldo place (older place a few blocks from scott hall) who pay like $500/month (all utilties).... but it is really small (like 5-600 sq feet) and pretty old. Also, there is only parking on the street. So, it just depends on what you are comfortable with. The older places will be cheaper, but they won't be as nice, and perhaps not as safe. Although, the people I know at renaldo have not had any problems, but they also don't drive flashy cars... they aren't the kind you would really want to steal.

I hear Lafayette Towers are nice at a good price, especially if you get a roommate. I live in Riverfront Towers, which is very nice, but not exactly cheap.

can I get a single w/ a washer and dryer for about 700 or so somewhere? I know someone made a little website about apartments a couple years ago... anyone have a link?

can I get a single w/ a washer and dryer for about 700 or so somewhere? I know someone made a little website about apartments a couple years ago... anyone have a link?

Probably. You should check out Grosse Pointe Park or even RO. The only problem is that in many "uppers", there's not a lot of room for a washer and dryer. So, you may have to hunt a bit. But, $700/mo is not unreasonable for a nice place in a good location in the burbs as long as you're willing to take the upper 1/2 of a duplex house.

probably not in downtown detroit. we (my wife and i) have been looking on the internet for places with washer/dryer, dishwasher, and secured parking for while now. We have not found any places for under $1000/month with all that stuff.. let me know if you run across something! you can probably find something in the burbs for 700-900 with those specs though...

http://www.homepagepro.com/detroit/

I'm not sure about any single apartment complex that people use in Royal Oak. I am a bit biased against living downtown. Detroit still has a way to go before it becomes the type of city that most people want to live in. However, RO is a good option. I live in Grosse Pointe, and that works well for me.

I've heard that it kind of breaks down this way (which is consistent with my own experience); 1/3 of the class lives in Detroit, 1/3 live in RO, and 1/3 live all over the place. Wayne State is a great place to go to med school. I'm very happy so far. But, there's not a ton of cohesion w/r/t living arrangements. However, there ARE a few places in Detroit that have a lot of med students living there (just not sure about RO). University Towers is one I've heard about.

In terms of conveniences etc., Detroit really does lack some of that. Again, I'm biased, but it just doesn't strike me as the type of place were you step out of your apartment in the a.m., and walk down to any myriad of coffee shops etc. like you can do in most other major cities. Hopefully others will chip in with more experience living in Detroit, because I can't be too helpful there. But, I'd seriously consider one of the closer suburbs that surround the city.

I kind of like Farmington Hills. do u know anyone in ur class who lives over there? wats the travel time to wayne?

I kind of like Farmington Hills. do u know anyone in ur class who lives over there? wats the travel time to wayne?

Well it will be much quicker once the Lodge is open. I'm not quite sure how bad 696 gets in the mornings around there, but the times I have driven there it's isn't great. I would assume it could be anywhere from 20-50 minutes.

I think the safest place to live is Royal Oak or somewhere in southern Oakland County. Of course I live in Rochester and will be taking 75 the whole way down ranging from 25 minutes if I'm speeding to upwards of 1.5 hours in traffic and snow. Traffic can be brutal between 696 and 94 on 75 in the morning. With the Lodge being closed until September it won't be pretty for the first month of class.

Like TMP said, Farmington is a bit of a hike. Probably more than what you'd want. There are a ton of other options though.

FYI, I know people that commute from Ann Arbor and New Baltimore, so it all depends. However, I'd say that for 3rd year, you'd want to be MUCH closer to the DMC.

I lived near Farmington Hills when I was younger (West Bloomfield). That area is really really boring (not that we will have anytime to do anything). It is a very nice area though and I wouldn't mind living there when I had a family but not while in medical school. Just something to consider.

I know of a couple people who lived in FH for the first couple years. I wouldn't really recommend it though. I practically live in Ann Arbor now, but will be moving closer for third year. Driving sucks. You can skip most lectures after anatomy, but you will still have to go in for other things a couple times a week. I would recommend either living downtown in a nice apartment complex or living in royal oak, gross pointe, madison heights, or surrounding areas.

That site is 2 years old so I'm sure prices have changed by now.

I've lived down town for 2 years now. Its been great. When I first moved in stuff was a little rough, but the super bowl clean up did really help.

Detroit does have a great downtown, and there is plenty to do. Iceskating at CM. Art shows at the DIA. The Carshow. We had the world series and super bowl in the same year. All the theaters (we have the most seating of any city besides new york) . The Opera house. The Max. Largest African American museum in the country. Heart Plaza. The Freedom Festival. The winter Blast. The DEMF. 3 Sports teams in a few blocks of each other. 80+ restaurants and bars with in 12 blocks of each other. 3 Casinos. The Greektown Area. Midtown has a lot of hipster artsy stuff. 4 Micro Breweries. An 18,000 student university. Canada is south of us. Lots of good stuff going on.

As for housing, It is still far cheaper then most other big cities and every bit as safe downtown. I bought a condo here and its crazy how little I pay.

You'll save a ton on gas, and even more importantly in time. (sleeping for 20+ extra minutes per day is amazing)

Give down town a chance, I know a lot of kids who moved down her after first year really like it.

Coffe shops in Detroit? you got to be kidding.Maybe you mean liquor store. Those ones there is one every single block. Sometimes you can count up to three liquor store on a single block and they all run full speed 24/7/365. Among all the cities I visited on this planet, Detroit is the one that count the most liquor store per square mile.....

Coffe shops in Detroit? you got to be kidding.Maybe you mean liquor store. Those ones there is one every single block. Sometimes you can count up to three liquor store on a single block and they all run full speed 24/7/365. Among all the cities I visited on this planet, Detroit is the one that count the most liquor store per square mile.....

Ugh.

I live with in 6 blocks of 2 starbucks, 2 independent coffee shops and several university/library related ones.

Detroit is, however, (pre-katrina) the poorest city in the country. So its not all roses.

Ugh.

I live with in 6 blocks of 2 starbucks, 2 independent coffee shops and several university/library related ones.

Detroit is, however, (pre-katrina) the poorest city in the country. So its not all roses.

:thumbup: There are indeed 2 starbucks in the Wayne State/Downtown area and a host of coffee shops and diners. And what's wrong with liquor stores? Do medical students and doctors not drink alcohol? Haha. Interestingly enough though, Detroit also has areas with the most churches per square mile too.

i've actually had a hard time finding liquor stores a couple times. but, that when i first moved here and i was walking at night.

There really only 3 or 4 booze stores downtown. In midtown I have to walk way farther then I do for coffee.

That site is 2 years old so I'm sure prices have changed by now.

I've lived down town for 2 years now. Its been great. When I first moved in stuff was a little rough, but the super bowl clean up did really help.

Detroit does have a great downtown, and there is plenty to do. Iceskating at CM. Art shows at the DIA. The Carshow. We had the world series and super bowl in the same year. All the theaters (we have the most seating of any city besides new york) . The Opera house. The Max. Largest African American museum in the country. Heart Plaza. The Freedom Festival. The winter Blast. The DEMF. 3 Sports teams in a few blocks of each other. 80+ restaurants and bars with in 12 blocks of each other. 3 Casinos. The Greektown Area. Midtown has a lot of hipster artsy stuff. 4 Micro Breweries. An 18,000 student university. Canada is south of us. Lots of good stuff going on.

As for housing, It is still far cheaper then most other big cities and every bit as safe downtown. I bought a condo here and its crazy how little I pay.

You'll save a ton on gas, and even more importantly in time. (sleeping for 20+ extra minutes per day is amazing)

Give down town a chance, I know a lot of kids who moved down her after first year really like it.

should I try to get a roommate through Wayne or should I live alone ? (I want to live downtown)

should I try to get a roommate through Wayne or should I live alone ? (I want to live downtown)

probably depends on how much $$ you want to spend and whether or not you would like having to share a living space.

I'll probably either be in Royal Oak or downtown, but I've had a roomate for too many years, and I am very excited about having my own place.

I grew up in Farmington Hills, and I would not recommend living there for medical school. Yes, it is a very nice area, yes my parents want me to live at home and commute, however it does not have a college town feel at all. Also, when I went for my interview it took me about 30 minutes to get to Scott Hall (I live about a mile from I-96), which is too long.

I will most likely be living in Royal Oak to get that college town feel and the shorter commute. However, I have NO idea where would be a good place to live in RO. Any thoughts? I would like to have 1 or 2 roomates, so a house wouldn't be bad or maybe a 2-3 bedroom apartment.

I wanted to live alone in either downtown or royal oak for about 500-600ish any thoughts on good places? thanks.

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE A LOOK AT WWW.RENT.COM WEBSITE. IT LISTED SOME APARTMENTS NEAR DOWNTOWN AND ROYAL OAK. THE WEBSITE HAS A SEARCH MENU THAT YOU CAN USE TO FIND APARTMENTS WITH 1 OR 2 OR 3 BEDROOMS OR THAT ARE LOCATED IN A SPECIFIC CITY. CHECK IT OUT. THE WEBSITE ALSO TELLS YOU IF PETS ARE ALLOWED.

I wanted to live alone in either downtown or royal oak for about 500-600ish any thoughts on good places? thanks.

I live in an Amber apartment. Here's their website. All address are near RO even if the Address isn't RO.

http://amberapts.com