Wayne State living questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I am planning on going to look at places in April and then I'm contacting admissions to get a roomate list and get placed on it myself. I'm leaning towards living downtown just because I like living in a city, even if it is more "dangerous". I'm going back and forth about having a roomate. I went50/50 for undergrad with my roomates. Half of them were great, the other half sucked. I get along well with most people, but neat freaks bug the heck outta me. If I got stuck living with someone like that I would be out of luck. Plus, I don't want someone getting irritated with me if I happen to bring guests home with me to watch tv or have dinner. On the other hand, I do want somone to talk to and be able to get to know a bit better. I don't want to be lonely. I'm used to living on campus and bugging any number of people anytime I got bored.
Gah. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you'll be bored very often, as you'll mostly be immersed in lecture notes. As far as getting to know your classmates, you'll find out a whole lot about them during orientation and the anatomy block. A lot of people also form study groups, so you'll always have someone to talk to if you're having trouble with something.

bumping, so I won't lose this again...

Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2011, where are you living next year? Lots of discussion on where to live, but it would be nice to get an idea of where the MS1s will be.

I think I'm going to try and get a place near school... thinking U Towers, but not sure yet... a lot depends on pricing/roommate situation/ etc.

Is there any apt located within walking distance of campus (like within 0.5 miles of Scott Hall) that has a w/d in the unit, or at least w/d connections?

I hate to be anti-downtown, but you should consider the suburbs.

the reason i'm thinking about living downtown is because i dont' have a car/don't want to drive and prefer to walk/bike/bus to class. but if there is any public transport from royal oak etc. to campus i may consider the suburbs.

i know the bus system in detroit is dismal, but is there an easy connection from the suburbs?

the reason i'm thinking about living downtown is because i dont' have a car/don't want to drive and prefer to walk/bike/bus to class. but if there is any public transport from royal oak etc. to campus i may consider the suburbs.

i know the bus system in detroit is dismal, but is there an easy connection from the suburbs?

First, congrats on being accepted to med school. I think you'll like WSU. It's a good place to be, in my opinion.

I'm sure there are buses that you could take from certain parts of the suburbs, to get downtown. I just don't know how reliable, or convenient, that would be for you. Detroit is not known for it's public transport systems (to say the least).

So, given that you won't have a car, perhaps downtown is a good choice, and you definitely won't be alone. Lots of med students live down there. It's just not for me, personally.

Few thoughts:
1. public transit within metro detroit is not well known for its reliability (not good - think exam days:mad:) – case in point is the recent bus service stoppage over security :scared: (or more accurately the lack of security) on the DDOT buses
[however, I do know someone that took the bus to scott hall from the near east side when their car was acting up]

2. Not a large selection of stores in downtown (granted there are more new ones opening frequently around WSU - main campus), so you can probably figure on being forced to get out to the 'burbs to do your shopping

3. if you plan on doing every rotation within the DMC you will
a. go crazy, b. get assigned to Ann Arbor (or somewhere equally distant) and c. learn the real meaning of the term "wayne'd"

4. you are going to have to get a car, eventually. So why not get one now?

i lived about 30 miles away for the first two years and it sucked donkey balls. I now live downtown and it is great. I definitely don't want to live downtown all my life (of any city) but I would highly recommend it for the first 4 yrs of med school. Do you really want to waste 1+ hrs driving everyday? Time is a limited commodity.

Coming to wayne you will almost certainly need a car. You could get away with it for the first 2 years if you lived in the jail-cell dorms since they do provide rides to scott hall and you can get a meal plan for the cafeteria. However it will be hard to be involved in any extracurrics if you don't have a car. Come 3rd and 4th year you will need some way to get to your clerkships. Might as well get a car now while you have some cash....

i got a roomate and we are living in the pavilion in downtown detroit. it only a 10 minute drive to class and it is also a walkable distance to all the bars and restaurants in greektown and downtown detroit. so that is perfect if you want to grab something to eat or go to the bar for an after exam relaxer. two bedroom range from 900-$960 usually depending on how high your apartment is. plus if ur a med student they may give you a month's free rent and waive the deposit. and depending where your apartment is located, you can get a great view of the riverfront and winsor or downtown detroit.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are going to have to get a car, eventually. So why not get one now?

Might as well get a car now while you have some cash....

ahhh alright...

i just can't decide whether to buy a car here (vancouver), and drive it out with all my stuff, or else get rid of almost everything, fly out, and rebuild in detroit. i can probably hold out on the car until third year (except for groceries?) but buying an old dumpy car from the winter and salt-free westcoast is a better deal.

i was looking at the Rinaldo - someone mentioned it wayyy back in this post - seems like the perfect spot, although maybe in a boring area if i remember from walking around there on my interview day? i can't believe how cheap the rent is - $650 for a two-bedroom! is there laundry in the building?

thanks for all the help, future superiors...

Sorry to ask more questions about the living situation in Detroit (especially after the previous poster has asked so many), but I basically went to college in a very small town area, so I really don't know what to expect. Before going to college in the US, I did all my schooling overseas, so I really haven't had much experience with American metropolitan areas. I'd really appreciate any information I can get from a WSUSOM student. I just decided upon an apartment today that is on Warren Ave, 1st floor of a building with gated parking, but no other form of security(ie: active security guard, cameras, etc). It's about 5-6 blocks from school, and I had heard from other individuals that a lot of medical students who lived in Phillips Manor/Rinaldo walked to and from school at all hours of the night, I was wondering what your opinions of this is?

I was driving around the area today after signing the lease, and I'm a bit hesitant to walk to and from the school, especially after dark, but I don't want to be accused of acting paranoid or irrationally, when there really isn't a significant chance of danger. I was also told by some individuals that living on the first floor poses a risk since it is easier for individuals to break into my room, especially since one of the windows faces a relatively abandoned back alley, is this true? should I keep my windows locked at all times?

Once again, sorry to bombard with questions, but I'd really appreciate honest opinions from people who have experience in the area. I've unfortunately heard a lot of stories about crime in Detroit, but I'm not sure how much of it to believe, and therefore, I'd appreciate any advice people could offer to help me out.

Very few people would worry about walking from warren to the medical campus while its daylight out--some homeless guys will probably ask you for money some days, but really its pretty safe. After dark would be more questionable though- I've done it plenty of times before but there are a lot of people who wouldn't want to.
As far as your windows, if you're living on the ground floor you should definitely lock your windows when you leave your apartment.
I'm a WSU undergrad who will be starting med school in a month, so this is based off my experiences over the last 4 years.

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a condo in the DMC area? There are a lot of condo/loft conversions of warehouses and older apartment buildings available. But because the cost of renting is so cheap ($500 1 bed?), buying will never be the better option financially (if you're only going to be staying there for 4 years). But there seems to be a big difference in the amenities of the condos--much more sq footage, gated and sometimes even covered parking, generally less depressing feel and, most importantly, a washer and dryer in unit.

I'm curious about the detroit housing market though. I read recently that detroit is in the top ten for foreclosures in the country, so that doesnt bode well. But ignoring the city as a whole, what are the prospects for a condo in the immediate vicinity of DMC? Is the market appreciating at a decent rate (at least 4 percent a year)? Or would I end up selling in four years for the same price I paid?

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a condo in the DMC area? There are a lot of condo/loft conversions of warehouses and older apartment buildings available. But because the cost of renting is so cheap ($500 1 bed?), buying will never be the better option financially (if you're only going to be staying there for 4 years). But there seems to be a big difference in the amenities of the condos--much more sq footage, gated and sometimes even covered parking, generally less depressing feel and, most importantly, a washer and dryer in unit.

I'm curious about the detroit housing market though. I read recently that detroit is in the top ten for foreclosures in the country, so that doesnt bode well. But ignoring the city as a whole, what are the prospects for a condo in the immediate vicinity of DMC? Is the market appreciating at a decent rate (at least 4 percent a year)? Or would I end up selling in four years for the same price I paid?

It's a bit of a catch-22. It's BECAUSE the housing market is depressed that there are some excellent deals to be found.

However, I'd be very careful about purchasing a home/condo in this market. My personal view is that it's gonna take over 5 years for things to properly rebound. I wouldn't want to be one of the many 4th years currently trying to unload a home/condo because they're leaving for residency out of state, or just elsewhere in-state. It's a very unenviable position to be in.

I constantly hear about how "renting is just throwing money away". This is not always the case, by a long shot. The two biggest benefits of buying are 1) any natural appreciation that the market can generate, and thus you can gain equity simply by sitting on a property and 2) mortgage interest is deductable, which is great if you have income.

However, in a depressed market like Detroit (and even nationally), there's a very good chance that you can see DEPRECIATION in the short term. I know of many people that have needed to take money to the bank when closing on the sale of their home. Not cool.

Also, the deductability of mortgage interest is a moot point for most med students. How many med students really have substantial income to deduct anything FROM??

Just a few things to consider. Real estate can be a good deal, but only under the above conditions. I'm just not very optimistic about the housing market here, UNLESS you have a pretty long term outlook and tolerance. You can get a good deal, but it may take more time than you have (i.e. leaving for residency etc.) in order to materialize into a good investment.

Sorry to ask more questions about the living situation in Detroit (especially after the previous poster has asked so many), but I basically went to college in a very small town area, so I really don't know what to expect. Before going to college in the US, I did all my schooling overseas, so I really haven't had much experience with American metropolitan areas. I'd really appreciate any information I can get from a WSUSOM student. I just decided upon an apartment today that is on Warren Ave, 1st floor of a building with gated parking, but no other form of security(ie: active security guard, cameras, etc). It's about 5-6 blocks from school, and I had heard from other individuals that a lot of medical students who lived in Phillips Manor/Rinaldo walked to and from school at all hours of the night, I was wondering what your opinions of this is?

I was driving around the area today after signing the lease, and I'm a bit hesitant to walk to and from the school, especially after dark, but I don't want to be accused of acting paranoid or irrationally, when there really isn't a significant chance of danger. I was also told by some individuals that living on the first floor poses a risk since it is easier for individuals to break into my room, especially since one of the windows faces a relatively abandoned back alley, is this true? should I keep my windows locked at all times?

Once again, sorry to bombard with questions, but I'd really appreciate honest opinions from people who have experience in the area. I've unfortunately heard a lot of stories about crime in Detroit, but I'm not sure how much of it to believe, and therefore, I'd appreciate any advice people could offer to help me out.

Don't worry about being stigmatized or paranoid. You do need to be aware of potential dangers. I wouldn't be walking down there at night. I love WSU-SOM. It's really a great place to go to school. I've also taken many courses at the main campus (north of Warren, versus south where the med school is). And, I was always impressed with how nice and safe the campus was.

However, at night, in that part of town, you need to be careful. I wouldn't be walking the streets down there at night. But, that's just my personal view and since I don't live in Detroit, I really can't speak from actual experience.

I wasn't expecting to make any money from buying a condo. In fact, I wasnt even expecting to break even. My hope was that I wouldnt lose too much *more* money than by renting. Assuming I pay $550 a month to rent a 1 bed for 48 months, I would hope to not lose much more than $550 x 48 = $26400 (including closing costs, selling costs, mortgage, insurance, maintanance fees, opportunity cost of money, et) at the end of four years. If thats the case, then buying becomes the better option because it would be more spacious and with better amenities. And, you wont have to contend with the prospect of moving at the end of every year.

I could stomach losing up to $32k, because thats how much the stability and amenities of a condo over a rental are worth to me. But thats assuming the condo appreciates by about 8-10% over four years, and I'm not sure that would happen.

I wasn't expecting to make any money from buying a condo. In fact, I wasnt even expecting to break even. My hope was that I wouldnt lose too much *more* money than by renting. Assuming I pay $550 a month to rent a 1 bed for 48 months, I would hope to not lose much more than $550 x 48 = $26400 (including closing costs, selling costs, mortgage, insurance, maintanance fees, opportunity cost of money, et) at the end of four years. If thats the case, then buying becomes the better option because it would be more spacious and with better amenities. And, you wont have to contend with the prospect of moving at the end of every year.

I could stomach losing up to $32k, because thats how much the stability and amenities of a condo over a rental are worth to me. But thats assuming the condo appreciates by about 8-10% over four years, and I'm not sure that would happen.

I hear ya. But, I honestly would not count on that rate of appreciation in this market. That's just my opinion. I think that things are going to get worse before they get better. In 4 years you could very easily find yourself selling at a loss. I'm basing this on the glut in supply, as well as the short term prospects of Michigan's economy. It's gonna take some time for things to rebound.

Hey there,

My name's Erlene. I'm on the roommate list for the upcoming year but somehow only got a short list of females looking for female roommates only. We're looking for a female roommate for an available one bedroom in a nice, spacious Royal Oak condo to be shared with two fourth year med students (one male, one female, not a couple!). This modern 2-story condo was built in 2005 and has a beautiful living room and kitchen with hardwood floors, new kitchen appliances, a washer/dryer room on the same floor as the bedrooms (the upstairs bedrooms floor is carpeted), backyard and deck great for grilling, and a spacious basement for storage.

Safe pleasant neighborhood that's great for studying, socializing, and recreation. Located near 696 and 75 intersection as well as Woodward making it an easy commute to Scott Hall/DMC. (FYI that's 12 mins on a good day, about 30-45 mins on a bad day, woodward is always about 20-25 mins. Have not been late often since I've lived here.) Only a few minutes from Washington/Main Street coffee shops, restaurants, and bars. Short drive to Southfield Public Library, Meijers, shopping areas. Walking distance from public parks with a softball field, basketball court, and tennis courts.

ALSO you're with two fourth years with plenty of experience, books, and knowledge of where to study and where to have a good time :) There is one very cute cat so if you're allergic keep that in mind. No other pets please.

I'm asking $450 per month + utilities split between the 3 of us.

You can reach me by email [email protected]. Available this month.

can anyone comment about living situation in grosse pointe? is it the suburbs? are there lots of grocery stores/coffee shops/etc around? hows the drive to the DMC?

can anyone comment about living situation in grosse pointe? is it the suburbs? are there lots of grocery stores/coffee shops/etc around? hows the drive to the DMC?

Grosse Pointe is a great option. Lots of amenities. I lived there for most of 1st year and loved it. The drive to the DMC is about 20-30 minutes depending on your route and where in the Pointes you live.

technically the Pointes are suburbs, but they have been around for a while and are as a whole some of the closer 'burbs to WSU/DMC.

I have been living the Grosse Pointe Park since before med school (almost seven years now) and it has treated me well.

And yes there is a good supply of coffee shops, stores, etc. over here on the East side.

One of the things that I really like about the Pointes is that I have my choice of at least four different routes down to WSU/DMC, which is something that most of the other 'burbs can't say.

Alright, class of 2012, where are you living and why?

Factors in my decision

Proximity to all things fun -- Restaurants, clubs, bars, festivals, etc.
Nice place --condo/apartment/house
May have a dog

Nonfactors

Closeness to campus/school

Don't know where I am living yet, looking at Downtown, Royal Oak and Ferndale. Lets figure this out, if you have a place set or know where, let us know why.