• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey guys -
I just was accepted to Wayne State's MS in BioMedical Science program. :)
Has anyone been through this? Most of my classmates from U of M who completed this have been accepted into the medical school at Wayne.
Ah! Sunny and safe Detroit, MI - bring it on. :laugh:
 

Dr Rod

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
5
0
Status
I have gone to Wayne all of undergrad, and will be starting the BMS program in the fall as well. The program director told me that last year half the people who finished the program were accepted to Wayne's med school. Detroit isn't that bad, although after all the years I've been there my car was stolen on April 1. Anyway, good luck!
 
About the Ads

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
One of the highest murder rates, Faygo soda, the Insane Clown Posse, 30 degrees below zero winters...it makes one wonder if its worth it.

Two words: medical school

Two more words that soften the blow of putting up with the arctic winters and crime: White Castle.
 

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
1,568
0
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
one of my best friends is finishing up this summer in that program. Its pretty intensive, a lot of gunners, but he likes it, its good prep for med schl, especially the classes, plus if u do ok on MCAT, u've a great shot at wayne state. The down side is that if u dont get in immediately, not much options remain in terms of working with the degree.
 

Dr Rod

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
5
0
Status
One other thing about the program; while there isn't much of a job you can get with it, the classes apply toward a phd at Wayne if you ended up getting a really strong interest in cancer biology or physiology or one of the other core areas. I'm sticking to the MD idea, but at least I know it's not a complete dead end as far as options if I don't get in right away.
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did not know Wayne had a program. If I had known, i would have applied there. Here I am gunning for Erie, PA. My wife is a grad student at U of M and Detroit is a heck of a lot closer than Erie. I wonder if it is too late to apply. BTW, congrats on your acceptance. Are you going to go there or are you still looking at Duquesne?
 

Dr Rod

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
5
0
Status
deadline to apply for Fall is June 1. You need mcat or gre scores. Even though the deadline is June 1, they accept people way past the deadline. I hope this helps.
 

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
medic170 said:
I did not know Wayne had a program. If I had known, i would have applied there. Here I am gunning for Erie, PA. My wife is a grad student at U of M and Detroit is a heck of a lot closer than Erie. I wonder if it is too late to apply. BTW, congrats on your acceptance. Are you going to go there or are you still looking at Duquesne?
Medic170 -
If you have the scores, you should apply. Detroit is MUCH closer than Erie. There is my marriage counseling!

Here is my dilemma - let's for a second rule out the following variables: cost, duration, geography - although I own a house just north of Detroit and could live there if I go WSU BMS.

Here are my options so far: Please respond with your input ANYONE:
Wayne State - BMS
Barry - postbac/BMS
Duquesne (accepted yesterday) post-bac
Columbia - post-bac
My situation is that I still need to pick up 2nd term physics (I only have 1 semester).
Older student, college athlete, 2.8 GPA, now antibiotic research scientist (6 years), publications etc. Will eventually need to retake MCAT (24T). - I had no idea on any of the physical stuff at all.
I have not taken a college course since 1998.
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
911Med said:
Medic170 -
If you have the scores, you should apply. Detroit is MUCH closer than Erie. There is my marriage counseling!

Here is my dilemma - let's for a second rule out the following variables: cost, duration, geography - although I own a house just north of Detroit and could live there if I go WSU BMS.

Here are my options so far: Please respond with your input ANYONE:
Wayne State - BMS
Barry - postbac/BMS
Duquesne (accepted yesterday) post-bac
Columbia - post-bac
My situation is that I still need to pick up 2nd term physics (I only have 1 semester).
Older student, college athlete, 2.8 GPA, now antibiotic research scientist (6 years), publications etc. Will eventually need to retake MCAT (24T). - I had no idea on any of the physical stuff at all.
I have not taken a college course since 1998.


I am missing the 2 physics labs and orgo II. I am taking them at MSU this summer before I go to a post-bacc. Maybe you could do the same with your physics. I don't know much about the other programs, but Duq I think will let you integrate PHYII into your post-bacc curriculum. Also, they have the linkeage agreements(don't know if the others do). For me, skipping the lag year means a lot, which is why I chose LECOM and DUQ. Thats my 2 cents.
 
About the Ads

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2002
1,255
6
Boston
Visit site
Status
This program doesn't sound too successful, IMO. I emailed the director of this program, and his answers were pretty disheartening.
Here are his responses:

Me: How long does the program usually take to complete?
Dr. McCoy: 18 ? 24 MONTHS

Me: Do people take part in research, volunteering, etc outside of the courses?
Dr. M: A FEW DO RESEARCH. MOST VOLUNTEER FOR/IN CLINICAL SETTINGS.]

Me: What percentage of the program graduates are accepted to medical school?
Dr. M: BETWEEN 25 ? 35 % OF THOSE WHO APPLY.

Me:Do you have some sort of guaranteed interview or acceptance program with Wayne State SOM if one does well in the BMS program?
Dr. M: ABSOLUTELY NOT!! DOING WELL IN THIS PROGRAM (3.60 GPA & 9 ? 10 AVG MCAT

Me:What is the cost for the entire program?
Dr.M: RESIDENT TUITION = $262.60/CRHR = $8928 TOTAL; NON-RESIDENT TUITION = $579.80/CRHR = $19713 TOTAL.]

Ouch. I was seriously debating doing this program, BU, SMP, or just doing a post bacc at Harvard extension. I think the answer is becoming clearer by the minute. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know.

Cheers
Captjack
 

tazzysoze

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
18
0
Visit site
Status
I'm in the BMS program right now, and it's a great prep for med schools (I'm applying right now). You take the same classes as med students, the material, professors, and the notes are exactly the same. So, if you do well in the BMS, you have a great shot at Wayne. And the first year will be easy, cuz you have taken most of the classes already.

It's not given that you'll do well, but that goes for almost anything. If you work at it, it's a great prep for med school.
 

heymisslady

Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
65
1
Status
Just to give you guys some insite on what's happening here at WSU. They do have a post-bacc program for disadvantaged students. If you get in you recieve a stipend, don't have to pay tuition, have to retake the mcat, but you are guaranteed a spoot in the next freshman class (no matter what your score is). Just adding my two cents
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
heymisslady said:
Just to give you guys some insite on what's happening here at WSU. They do have a post-bacc program for disadvantaged students. If you get in you recieve a stipend, don't have to pay tuition, have to retake the mcat, but you are guaranteed a spoot in the next freshman class (no matter what your score is). Just adding my two cents
Don't you have to be invited to apply to that particular program after being rejected by Wayne, something like MSU's ABLE program? I think 911 Med is talking about the Masters program is Basic Biomed Sciences, which is actually quite different.
 

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
1,568
0
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
medic170 said:
Don't you have to be invited to apply to that particular program after being rejected by Wayne, something like MSU's ABLE program? I think 911 Med is talking about the Masters program is Basic Biomed Sciences, which is actually quite different.

yeah u've to be, plus u've to be 1st generation college graduate

MSU Able is awesome, no need to retake, pretty much pass classes, and ur in the next fall, plus u take biochem able yr. I know many people who went thru it, and even tho i got direct acceptance, if i got ABLE i'd have been happy.

My friend is finishin up his masters in biomed sciences, and the classes are gerat prep but u till have to get in. He has to retake the MCAT, and unless he does ok, it'll be a long road. He also says his classmates are pretty competitive and dont share info
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lotanna said:
yeah u've to be, plus u've to be 1st generation college graduate
Does that just mean that you are only eligible if your parents do not have a BA or BS or higher(mine don't, but my Father got his associate degree through an online correspondance college and "life experience credit" earlier this year).
 

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
1,568
0
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
medic170 said:
Does that just mean that you are only eligible if your parents do not have a BA or BS or higher(mine don't, but my Father got his associate degree through an online correspondance college and "life experience credit" earlier this year).
i'm not sure, i know last application cycle, after i was rejected post secondary, i asked and was told that. I dont know if they'd consider associate as going to college-graduating. You should ask
 

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, I am referring to the Basic Medical Science MS Program.
2 years MS degree - you have to complete a research essay.

This reserved seat program?
I am unfamiliar with whatever program allows people in with crappy MCATs, pays their tuition, gives them a reserved spot, AND gives them a stipend! So they are making money to go to medical school?
Give me a friggin' break.

If you can't stand the heat get outta the kitchen.

If your not smart enough to be there in the first place, I see no reason why an MD school should bend over backwards and significantly lower their requirements and PAY you to attend.

There HAS to be many more details that people have left out.
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
911Med said:
Yes, I am referring to the Basic Medical Science MS Program.
2 years MS degree - you have to complete a research essay.

This reserved seat program?
I am unfamiliar with whatever program allows people in with crappy MCATs, pays their tuition, gives them a reserved spot, AND gives them a stipend! So they are making money to go to medical school?
Give me a friggin' break.

If you can't stand the heat get outta the kitchen.

If your not smart enough to be there in the first place, I see no reason why an MD school should bend over backwards and significantly lower their requirements and PAY you to attend.

There HAS to be many more details that people have left out.
No , its true. Check out the ABLE program at MSUCHM web site, it is basically the same thing as what they are talking about at Wayne. You have to be rejected by the MD admissions and then invited to participate. It is exculsivly for whatever they consider to be disadvantaged applicants. Also, you can't have "crappy" scores, it is what the ADCOM deems "competitive" but in need of more preparation. They do not pay you to go to medical school, they pay you the stripend and tuition for the program though, then you start MD school normally(and pay for it) in the following year class.
 

911Med

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
medic170 said:
No , its true. Check out the ABLE program at MSUCHM web site, it is basically the same thing as what they are talking about at Wayne. You have to be rejected by the MD admissions and then invited to participate. It is exculsivly for whatever they consider to be disadvantaged applicants. Also, you can't have "crappy" scores, it is what the ADCOM deems "competitive" but in need of more preparation. They do not pay you to go to medical school, they pay you the stripend and tuition for the program though, then you start MD school normally(and pay for it) in the following year class.
O.K., so these are basically "competitive" URM's that applied like the rest of us and did not get in. Whew!

My BP shot up as I was reading these posts and thinking that they grab Joe undergrad and say "Hey, wanna spot in med school? How about some extra cash along the way?" - the whole thing sounded like an MTV reality show.

Yes, UCSD has the exact same program - URMs, applied to a US MD school and rejected, blah blah blah.

Wait - so as of 2006 admissions, caucasian, middle class, males are a URM right? Sweet - I am SO in that program. :laugh:

This should be directed towards "reapplicants" - not post-bacs.
 

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
1,858
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
911Med said:
O.K., so these are basically "competitive" URM's that applied like the rest of us and did not get in. Whew!

My BP shot up as I was reading these posts and thinking that they grab Joe undergrad and say "Hey, wanna spot in med school? How about some extra cash along the way?" - the whole thing sounded like an MTV reality show.

Yes, UCSD has the exact same program - URMs, applied to a US MD school and rejected, blah blah blah.

Wait - so as of 2006 admissions, caucasian, middle class, males are a URM right? Sweet - I am SO in that program. :laugh:

This should be directed towards "reapplicants" - not post-bacs.
Right, except this is not necessarily for URM's. They don't use race as an indicator, they use socioeconomic status.
 

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
1,568
0
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
911med, medic is right about the Wayne and MSU Able. I'm aware about MSU ABLE very well, cause i worked there. Several people there end up doing way better than the regular class even
 
About the Ads