-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wayne State SOM c/o 2010
Started by AStudent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey you guys. Glad to see the WSU-SOM class of 2010 thread picking up a bit.
For those of you looking for places to live, check out Gross Pointe. I'll be signing a lease for an upper flat of a rental home in an awesome area. It's good if you have a pet, since GP is very dog friendly and there are a ton of people walking around, running, biking etc. (also walking dogs). I'm in an area where I can walk to a Carribou, Starbucks, Panera, Borders, and Einstein Bagels within, literally, two minutes.
Frankly, I haven't timed my commute yet, since I'm not moving in until next week. But, I'm pretty sure I can make it in about 20-25 minutes.
Anyway, there were a lot of places to rent when I was searching the GP area. Check out Neff street, St. Clair Avenue, perhaps Notre Dame, and then there's always Beaconsfield. Just do a mapquest or something, and perhaps take a drive down there. When I was looking, not all of the properties were listed, but all had signs out front if available, with numbers to call. It's worth a drive down to check out the area anyway, if you're not familiar with GP.
Good luck, and I look forward to meeting you guys in another month!
cf
For those of you looking for places to live, check out Gross Pointe. I'll be signing a lease for an upper flat of a rental home in an awesome area. It's good if you have a pet, since GP is very dog friendly and there are a ton of people walking around, running, biking etc. (also walking dogs). I'm in an area where I can walk to a Carribou, Starbucks, Panera, Borders, and Einstein Bagels within, literally, two minutes.
Frankly, I haven't timed my commute yet, since I'm not moving in until next week. But, I'm pretty sure I can make it in about 20-25 minutes.
Anyway, there were a lot of places to rent when I was searching the GP area. Check out Neff street, St. Clair Avenue, perhaps Notre Dame, and then there's always Beaconsfield. Just do a mapquest or something, and perhaps take a drive down there. When I was looking, not all of the properties were listed, but all had signs out front if available, with numbers to call. It's worth a drive down to check out the area anyway, if you're not familiar with GP.
Good luck, and I look forward to meeting you guys in another month!
cf
Yeah, you would think that the medical school with the biggest class size in the nation would have the most active thread, go figure.
Im still having a hard time finding a place to live but Im sure Ill find something eventually. Worst case scenario Ill probably live at home for the first month of med school before I find a good place. I have probably been too focused on RO, Im gonna give GP a try (parents arent too keen on the idea of me living in Detroit, even though I think I would prefer it that way).
How do you guys think the orientation is gonna be set up? With 300ish students, I can imagine it being pretty hard to do the normal orientation type stuff like icebreakers (god forbid) or whatever.
Well, here's hoping for an open bar 😀
Im still having a hard time finding a place to live but Im sure Ill find something eventually. Worst case scenario Ill probably live at home for the first month of med school before I find a good place. I have probably been too focused on RO, Im gonna give GP a try (parents arent too keen on the idea of me living in Detroit, even though I think I would prefer it that way).
How do you guys think the orientation is gonna be set up? With 300ish students, I can imagine it being pretty hard to do the normal orientation type stuff like icebreakers (god forbid) or whatever.
Well, here's hoping for an open bar 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cfdavid said:Frankly, I haven't timed my commute yet, since I'm not moving in until next week. But, I'm pretty sure I can make it in about 20-25 minutes.
Sounds about right.
cfdavid said:Anyway, there were a lot of places to rent when I was searching the GP area. Check out Neff street, St. Clair Avenue, perhaps Notre Dame, and then there's always Beaconsfield. Just do a mapquest or something, and perhaps take a drive down there. When I was looking, not all of the properties were listed, but all had signs out front if available, with numbers to call. It's worth a drive down to check out the area anyway, if you're not familiar with GP.
Good luck, and I look forward to meeting you guys in another month!
cf
About time that someone else has started to encourage folks to take a look at the GP area.

Boonu said:Yeah, you would think that the medical school with the biggest class size in the nation would have the most active thread, go figure.
More of the activity is over at the Wayne State University thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180118)
Boonu said:Im still having a hard time finding a place to live but Im sure Ill find something eventually. Worst case scenario Ill probably live at home for the first month of med school before I find a good place. I have probably been too focused on RO, Im gonna give GP a try (parents arent too keen on the idea of me living in Detroit, even though I think I would prefer it that way).
I know of someone in GP thats looking for a housemate PM me if you want more information.
Boonu said:How do you guys think the orientation is gonna be set up? With 300ish students, I can imagine it being pretty hard to do the normal orientation type stuff like icebreakers (god forbid) or whatever.
Remember the MD labs (if you went on the tour)? They get used for lots of the orientation stuff including some icebreakers, sensitivity training (at least a couple years ago), etc.
As memory serves, you can plan on spending some time in Jaffar with the rest of your class and some time scattered to various other places (library, graduate lecture hall, etc.) for smaller group (~1/8 - 1/4 of class) sessions. I would predict that odds are that youll also have part of a day spent on BCLS training.
Boonu said:Well, here's hoping for an open bar 😀
Not likely.
Enjoy the rest of your summer.
When some of us incoming MS1's were posting on the Wayne State University thread over in Allo, I noticed some people got "annoyed", since they were all talking about exams and seemed to all be 2nd years, mostly.
So, the question is, do we start another, separate, thread over in the allo forum for the class of 2010? That way we can discuss issues specific to our class in the regular allo forum. Or is that what this allo class thread forum is for? Are we gonna stay in the "class threads" forum forever? In other words, the WSU-SOM thread over in allo must have deviated at one point from the "class threads" forum and gone over to allo for some reason.
oldjeeps, any input? I've followed the one over in allo, and I can see it being a cool resource to share experiences and exam discussions. But, to cross-class the thread seems like it would somehow take away from the cohesiveness, as well as being a bit annoying.
So, the question is, do we start another, separate, thread over in the allo forum for the class of 2010? That way we can discuss issues specific to our class in the regular allo forum. Or is that what this allo class thread forum is for? Are we gonna stay in the "class threads" forum forever? In other words, the WSU-SOM thread over in allo must have deviated at one point from the "class threads" forum and gone over to allo for some reason.
oldjeeps, any input? I've followed the one over in allo, and I can see it being a cool resource to share experiences and exam discussions. But, to cross-class the thread seems like it would somehow take away from the cohesiveness, as well as being a bit annoying.
cfdavid said:When some of us incoming MS1's were posting on the Wayne State University thread over in Allo, I noticed some people got "annoyed", since they were all talking about exams and seemed to all be 2nd years, mostly.
Some folks that post over there (myself included) can be a bit gruff on occasion especially if someone gets our fur up. And yes, many (but not all) of the folks on that thread are part of the class of 2008. But I predict that most of us wont have much time for SDN as of next Weds when our clerkships get up to speed.
I would suggest posting on that thread and just being careful about what you say (and more importantly how you say it) until you get to be a known element on the thread.
cfdavid said:So, the question is, do we start another, separate, thread over in the allo forum for the class of 2010?
If you were to try that I think that SDN might get a bit grumpy, since they developed the class threads section for a reason (they all used to be part of the main Allo section).
cfdavid said:That way we can discuss issues specific to our class in the regular allo forum. Or is that what this allo class thread forum is for? Are we gonna stay in the "class threads" forum forever? In other words, the WSU-SOM thread over in allo must have deviated at one point from the "class threads" forum and gone over to allo for some reason.
I think that the WSU-SOM thread actually pre-dates the generation of the class threads section and managed to slip through the cracks when all the other threads got moved.
Another option would be to take advantage of a separate forum (http://wsusom.10.forumer.com/) which was established, but never really took off.
cfdavid said:oldjeeps, any input? I've followed the one over in allo, and I can see it being a cool resource to share experiences and exam discussions. But, to cross-class the thread seems like it would somehow take away from the cohesiveness, as well as being a bit annoying.
That WSU thread in the allo section has always been cross-class with the occasional upper classman ( and now interns) throwing in their thoughts. I feel that is one of the benefits of that thread is that you get to hear from some of the folks that are ahead of you and therefore unlikely to be following the class specific threads. As I said above the trick is in not stirring up any trouble on the thread until you are known and to also have a thick enough skin so that any criticism that you might receive can roll off. I would also suggest running a search on the thread to see if any of your questions might have already been asked (probably about 12 months earlier).
No open bar, dang 🙁
I figure that the actual WSU thread in allo will be more accepting of us when school actually starts and we start asking questions like "What did you guys think of exam X" and not "How much time do you guys spend studying" or stuff like that.
Speaking of those kinds of questions, did anyone actually get a PDA yet? I heard it isnt necessary until the 3rd year, so I figured I would just wait until then.
I figure that the actual WSU thread in allo will be more accepting of us when school actually starts and we start asking questions like "What did you guys think of exam X" and not "How much time do you guys spend studying" or stuff like that.
Speaking of those kinds of questions, did anyone actually get a PDA yet? I heard it isnt necessary until the 3rd year, so I figured I would just wait until then.
Boonu said:No open bar, dang 🙁
I figure that the actual WSU thread in allo will be more accepting of us when school actually starts and we start asking questions like "What did you guys think of exam X" and not "How much time do you guys spend studying" or stuff like that.
Speaking of those kinds of questions, did anyone actually get a PDA yet? I heard it isnt necessary until the 3rd year, so I figured I would just wait until then.
I'm gonna hold off on the PDA for now. Technology changes so fast and prices come down over time, so if we don't need one for two years.............
Yeah, definately wait to get that PDA. We are required to get them for 2nd year (may change for 2010ers though).
As for orientation, it seems Kertia is mixing it up a little this year and planning many more activities for you guys. There will be tours of the Detroit area and Main campus w/ 2nd years as tour guides (myself incuded!) and some sort of scavenger hunt around the medical campus (again, w/ 2nd years helping) they are hoping to get the new first years to meet and mingle with more of the upperclassmen than in previous years. Hopefully these activities will replace the hours of sitting in Jaffar listening to admins drone on.... I think they are trying to make orientation more interactive. A very god move, in my opinion....
As for orientation, it seems Kertia is mixing it up a little this year and planning many more activities for you guys. There will be tours of the Detroit area and Main campus w/ 2nd years as tour guides (myself incuded!) and some sort of scavenger hunt around the medical campus (again, w/ 2nd years helping) they are hoping to get the new first years to meet and mingle with more of the upperclassmen than in previous years. Hopefully these activities will replace the hours of sitting in Jaffar listening to admins drone on.... I think they are trying to make orientation more interactive. A very god move, in my opinion....
Hey guys, I just signed a lease at Riverfront Apartments. Anyone live nearby?
Also, when is everyone getting into town? We have to take some picture apparently on the 24th or 25th of July? Can it wait?
Anyone want to get together before classes/ orientation? Let me know.
Also, when is everyone getting into town? We have to take some picture apparently on the 24th or 25th of July? Can it wait?
Anyone want to get together before classes/ orientation? Let me know.
Hey, I'm living on Calumet street close to campus. Still looking for a roommate. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you the details.
And what is this about having to take a picture?
And what is this about having to take a picture?
Boonu said:Im assuming the picture is mentioned somewhere in that registration packet. Speaking of that packet, is there anything actually due before orientation? Im abroad and wont be back in the states until mid july.
yeah you gotta turn in Hippa stuff and your parking form. Also pictures on the 24th or 25th which sound mandatory. I dont wanna move in a whole week early
😡 and not know anyone.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yjin320 said:yeah you gotta turn in Hippa stuff and your parking form. Also pictures on the 24th or 25th which sound mandatory. I dont wanna move in a whole week early
😡 and not know anyone.
Maybe we can schedule a bar night or something, where some of us can meet up to get to know each other. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. I imagine we'll be making friends very soon after orientation.
cfdavid said:Maybe we can schedule a bar night or something, where some of us can meet up to get to know each other. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. I imagine we'll be making friends very soon after orientation.
Hey yjin320, I am living in Riverfront as well, I signed my lease a few weeks ago. I am definitely up for meeting or something like that.
bagonnia said:Hey yjin320, I am living in Riverfront as well, I signed my lease a few weeks ago. I am definitely up for meeting or something like that.
sweet, I'll make sure to be in touch
cfdavid said:Maybe we can schedule a bar night or something, where some of us can meet up to get to know each other. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. I imagine we'll be making friends very soon after orientation.
yeah I would agree to that, would be nice to meet some of you guys before then too. Great idea though!
cfdavid said:Maybe we can schedule a bar night or something, where some of us can meet up to get to know each other. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. I imagine we'll be making friends very soon after orientation.
I would definently be up for something like this. Like David said though, we'll end up meeting a ton of people during the orientation. Im just hoping the picture thing is an in/out thing and doesnt take like 4 hours.
...Hey, I'm also a starting first year. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has done absolutely nothing in the way of housing yet. Bar night is definately a great idea...count me in.
...so what's the story, is anyone else just going to wait til orientation to find a roommate? That was my plan, but meeting someone earlier would probably make the appartment hunt easier...
in the meantime, if anyone is looking for a female roommate...I am one. I get into Detroit on the 23rd... when's this bar thing happening?
...so what's the story, is anyone else just going to wait til orientation to find a roommate? That was my plan, but meeting someone earlier would probably make the appartment hunt easier...
in the meantime, if anyone is looking for a female roommate...I am one. I get into Detroit on the 23rd... when's this bar thing happening?
Hey guys,
We can do a bar night anytime, but it sounds like some of you out-of staters aren't getting in for a while. I'm in state, and moving even closer to campus (Grosse Pointe City) this weekend. So, I'm pretty flexible.
The other issue may be better answered by a current med student (oldjeeps??). Regarding the OneCard, I already have one since I've been taking post-bacc courses at Wayne on and off for about 2 years now.
But, we received a memo that stated to "dress professionally" for the OneCard photo since it'll "follow us throughout medical school" and will be used in some kind of 1st year photo book.
Like probably 95% of all WSU undergrads my OneCard photo has meant nothing to me thus far (it's a parking pass for god's sake). It was a horrible picture and I look stoned, pissed, and mentally challenged at the same time (is that possible?). But, if the photo used in our OneCard will be used for other purposes in med school (and will truly "follow us throughout medical school"), I'm considering having it retaken. lol
Is this worth it?? I'm taking a histo course at WSU this summer anyway, so I"m already on campus twice/week. I really don't want my current picture showing up in some year book or anything (like, "who let THAT dude into med school!!??)..... LOL
Sorry to have others suffer through this post. But, any insight is welcome.
We can do a bar night anytime, but it sounds like some of you out-of staters aren't getting in for a while. I'm in state, and moving even closer to campus (Grosse Pointe City) this weekend. So, I'm pretty flexible.
The other issue may be better answered by a current med student (oldjeeps??). Regarding the OneCard, I already have one since I've been taking post-bacc courses at Wayne on and off for about 2 years now.
But, we received a memo that stated to "dress professionally" for the OneCard photo since it'll "follow us throughout medical school" and will be used in some kind of 1st year photo book.
Like probably 95% of all WSU undergrads my OneCard photo has meant nothing to me thus far (it's a parking pass for god's sake). It was a horrible picture and I look stoned, pissed, and mentally challenged at the same time (is that possible?). But, if the photo used in our OneCard will be used for other purposes in med school (and will truly "follow us throughout medical school"), I'm considering having it retaken. lol
Is this worth it?? I'm taking a histo course at WSU this summer anyway, so I"m already on campus twice/week. I really don't want my current picture showing up in some year book or anything (like, "who let THAT dude into med school!!??)..... LOL
Sorry to have others suffer through this post. But, any insight is welcome.
cfdavid said:The other issue may be better answered by a current med student (oldjeeps??). Regarding the OneCard, I already have one since I've been taking post-bacc courses at Wayne on and off for about 2 years now.
But, we received a memo that stated to "dress professionally" for the OneCard photo since it'll "follow us throughout medical school" and will be used in some kind of 1st year photo book.
Having to come in before orientation to have some picture taken sounds like a new hoop that WSU-SOM is dreaming up for yall to jump through.
Back in the day we had two pictures taken during orientation one for the OneCard and one that the school uses (gets sent to the NBME as part of the USMLE application, names and faces book, etc.).
Not sure what theyre up to this year.
oldjeeps said:Having to come in before orientation to have some picture taken sounds like a new hoop that WSU-SOM is dreaming up for yall to jump through.
Back in the day we had two pictures taken during orientation one for the OneCard and one that the school uses (gets sent to the NBME as part of the USMLE application, names and faces book, etc.).
Not sure what theyre up to this year.
Sounds like they're trying to kill two birds with one stone. Then again, they did mention another picture being required down the road for an official yearbook. But, they did say the OneCard photo would be used for a class roster or something (not looking at the memo right now) as well as tracking us throughout our med school career (sounded kind of melodramatic frankly).
Thanks for the input oldjeeps.
Boonu said:Did the registration packet talk about what kind of clothes to wear? I guess if we want to look professional we have to break out the shirt & tie 🙁
sounds like shirt tie and suit to me...metions something about "throughout your career" so fotos for your rotations and junk
Boonu said:Can someone PM me the email address of the person that I need to send my name and labcoat size to? I'm locked out of my old university email, I think they canceled it cause I graduated 🙁
Thanks.
[email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't need to wear a suit for the pic., a tie would be more than sufficient. All the previous classes were just wearing casual clothes when it was taken because it was done on a random day during orientation. What they mean by, it will follow you, is that they send it to the NBME and attendings who do your evaluations farther down the road.
As for bar night, that is pretty much what orientation is. There are usually bar nights every night that week split up between Detroit and Royal Oak/Ferndale. Some of us old folks might make it to one of them, but for the most part it's just you guys. Take it easy and enjoy your last week of freedom.
As for bar night, that is pretty much what orientation is. There are usually bar nights every night that week split up between Detroit and Royal Oak/Ferndale. Some of us old folks might make it to one of them, but for the most part it's just you guys. Take it easy and enjoy your last week of freedom.
Yin, I'm gonna just lay low in my new place in GP. Hang in there, as it looks like there should be plenty of people willing to go out during the week. I could do a beer on Monday or Wednesday.
I'll put in another positive voice for living in Dearborn/Dearborn Heights/Livonia. Commuting in on I-96 is a breeze, even during rush hour!
Welcome first years - pick and choose what you stick around for during orientation. Some of it's important, but not neccesarily all of it. 😛
Welcome first years - pick and choose what you stick around for during orientation. Some of it's important, but not neccesarily all of it. 😛
Does anyone know what time we have to show up tomorrow morning?
PriorityMed said:Does anyone know what time we have to show up tomorrow morning?
They just said that it starts at 8:30, so I'll probably get there a little after 8 or so. Just cause I'm like that. lol
I'd just like to officialy welcome all of you to WSU. Enjoy orientation week because it is laid back. There is no need to stress out about any of it, you aren't being evaluated or anything like that. Take the time to get to know your classmates and go out to the bars if that's your thing. I know you are probably going to be nervous tonight, but don't be. Next Sunday is the night to be nervous.............
ddmo said:I'd just like to officialy welcome all of you to WSU. Enjoy orientation week because it is laid back. There is no need to stress out about any of it, you aren't being evaluated or anything like that. Take the time to get to know your classmates and go out to the bars if that's your thing. I know you are probably going to be nervous tonight, but don't be. Next Sunday is the night to be nervous.............[/QUOTE]
Gee thanks!![]()
cfdavid said:Gee thanks!![]()
They're right though. 🙂
And go to the parties - it's a good way to meet people who aren't in your MD labs!
Thanks everyone for the info.
inked_caduceus said:They're right though. 🙂
And go to the parties - it's a good way to meet people who aren't in your MD labs!
so from what I hear there is a party at a different bar in town on every night? Any info on what/when on what day yet?
I'm up for going
When you activate your med school email account there will be a bunch of invites. So far the ones I have recieved are:
Mon:
Envy Nightclub
234 W. Larned
Detroit, MI 48226
9pm-2am
$2 HYPNOTIQ SHOTS & $2 DRAFT BEER
$5 Cover
(Dress to impress: no running shoes, jerseys, sports wear)
Tues:
CINQ
419 S. Main St.
Royal Oak, MI 48067
(Below Bastone Restaurant)
248.544.6250
Fri:
INTUS Night Club, 1557 E. Lafayette, Downtown Detroit
TIME: 9pm-2am
COST: $7 before 11pm, slightly higher after
ATTIRE: No athletic gear, gymshoes, or caps. Guys can wear jeans, but must have proper shoes and button up shirt
$2 microbrew drafts
Appetizer specials 'til 11pm
I'll proabably be there tomorrow because it's close and envy is a nice place.
Mon:
Envy Nightclub
234 W. Larned
Detroit, MI 48226
9pm-2am
$2 HYPNOTIQ SHOTS & $2 DRAFT BEER
$5 Cover
(Dress to impress: no running shoes, jerseys, sports wear)
Tues:
CINQ
419 S. Main St.
Royal Oak, MI 48067
(Below Bastone Restaurant)
248.544.6250
Fri:
INTUS Night Club, 1557 E. Lafayette, Downtown Detroit
TIME: 9pm-2am
COST: $7 before 11pm, slightly higher after
ATTIRE: No athletic gear, gymshoes, or caps. Guys can wear jeans, but must have proper shoes and button up shirt
$2 microbrew drafts
Appetizer specials 'til 11pm
I'll proabably be there tomorrow because it's close and envy is a nice place.
Is anyone doing it or anyone aver heard anyone who did it? Canada is just 5 min away from dowtown. I guess the commuting must be less time than other places like Royal Oaks, Livonia,.....Living in another country and commuting to another country everyday for classes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There were a handful of people who did it in my class. I doubt the commute was less than Royal Oak considering all the waiting and backups that can happen at the border.francisdoss said:Is anyone doing it or anyone aver heard anyone who did it? Canada is just 5 min away from dowtown. I guess the commuting must be less time than other places like Royal Oaks, Livonia,.....Living in another country and commuting to another country everyday for classes.
francisdoss said:Is anyone doing it or anyone aver heard anyone who did it? Canada is just 5 min away from dowtown. I guess the commuting must be less time than other places like Royal Oaks, Livonia,.....Living in another country and commuting to another country everyday for classes.
i met a couple people this summer who worked in the hospitals who commuted from canada everyday, but i don't recall how long it took them.
yjin320 said:are their tolls or anything to get to canada or back?
Yeah, there are tolls at both the tunnel and bridge. I think it amounts to about $5.00 U.S. round trip, but that number has changed before. I think that's the rate right now though. It may be a bit higher, like at $5.50 by now.