Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soleil9 said:
Hello everyone from Wayne,

Yesterday I received notification that I have been accepted to Wayne State! I am extremely excited, because Wayne is definately my top choice school.

I actually just wanted to thank all of you guys for making me feel do welcome during my two visits to campus. I had an awesome tour guide when I intereviewed, and and on my second visit I met some really nice second years in the class that I sat in on... Oh and your second year pathology instructor, the guy with the pony-tail, he is an AMAZING lecturer. So anyway, thank you to everyone who is freindly to the prospective students!

Also, I was wondering where everyone lives... I was thinking of maybe living in the new dorms. This would be a good choice for me because my husband will have to stay in Grand Rapids :( and I don't want to have to worry about having 2 seperate households/apartments... Does anyone have any opinions about living on campus? Have you heard about these new dorms?

Thank you all again,
Soleil

Congratulations! Wayne is a pretty damn good school, despite all of the bitching we do about it.

Those new dorms look pretty nice, but you might get sick of living around a bunch of undergrads... depends on what kind of person you are. A good majority of people live in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area because its relatively inexpensive and a short drive down Woodward Ave to school. Keep in mind that if you buy a parking pass (which is damn expensive) you are guaranteed parking right across the street from Scott Hall, so you don't need to worry about proximity. And hey, you might find out like I did that you don't like going to school, in which case you can go ahead and move back in with your fiancee in Grand Rapids. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

"And hey, you might find out like I did that you don't like going to school, in which case you can go ahead and move back in with your fiancee in Grand Rapids."

Flobber,

Looks like I am going to Wayne State as well. Could you elaborate on what you mentioned :D? My wife lives about 250 miles from Detroit and I plan to drive back there every weekend. I am wondering what's the schedule is like for first year. How late you have to be at the school? Particularly, on Friday afternoon and Monday morning :)

You only need to be in school during anatomy and histology, and not everyday. I think I would've done alot better in anatomy if I didn't show up to lab and just came in for one whole day during the weekend. And histology lab is once a week. So you really only have to be in school two days a week and that's just in the beggining. Once those two classes are over you can pretty much never show up to class again except for during exams and for clinical medicine.
I think the last time I was in jaffaar was a month ago, and that was after my last physio exam.
Good luck with med school and I recommend buying netters now, you won't regret pre-reading before school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
kornnata said:
How late you have to be at the school? Particularly, on Friday afternoon and Monday morning :)

If you actually benefit from going to lectures, then you'll be in school from about 9am-12, break for lunch, and then lecture from 1-2ish, then anatomy lab from 2is-5ish. You can really do your dissections anytime, so a lot of people either don't come to lab during the posted time and come in on the weekends OR "speed dissect," finish early, and come in on an occasional weekend to review. I actually went to most of the lectures during the anatomy/histology unit. Now in biochem/physio, I probably went to class about 10% of the time.

The good thing is (for now anyways), they put our lectures up online. So you can watch them from the warm, coziness of your home. I find this very helpful for notetaking purposes, because the damn profs talk too fast... my pencil's usually on fire from the friction!!!

Shangal said:
You only need to be in school during anatomy and histology, and not everyday. I think I would've done alot better in anatomy if I didn't show up to lab and just came in for one whole day during the weekend. And histology lab is once a week. So you really only have to be in school two days a week and that's just in the beggining. Once those two classes are over you can pretty much never show up to class again except for during exams and for clinical medicine.
I think the last time I was in jaffaar was a month ago, and that was after my last physio exam.
Good luck with med school and I recommend buying netters now, you won't regret pre-reading before school starts.

Agreed. Although, I think that its probably best if you start on the right foot and actually attend anatomy labs, as they are "required". Plus, its the only time to actually meet a lot of your classmates and profs. Other than that, though, all the lectures are available on video over the internet, so you could be a totally productive correspondant student. Histo lab was useless for me, so you might scratch that off too.

One thing you may not already know: all of the notes for every class are given to us in a gargantuan packet at the beginning of every class. 90-95% of the test material is out of those notes... the other 5-10% is unfair crap that you wouldn't have gotten from lecture anyways. Net result: I don't even bother watching lectures anymore, I just read and re-read the notes. Lecture is only productive for those that learn that way, of which there are a few. Figure out how you learn and don't feel obligated to attend/not attend based on others study habits. Good luck to you both!

kornnata said:
"And hey, you might find out like I did that you don't like going to school, in which case you can go ahead and move back in with your fiancee in Grand Rapids."

Flobber,

Looks like I am going to Wayne State as well. Could you elaborate on what you mentioned :D? My wife lives about 250 miles from Detroit and I plan to drive back there every weekend. I am wondering what's the schedule is like for first year. How late you have to be at the school? Particularly, on Friday afternoon and Monday morning :)

Sorry, didn't see your final question there. For the first block, anyway, Friday afternoon probably means anatomy lab about half the time. Monday morning (all mornings) = histology lecture = joke = have fun with your wife.

That sounded dirtier than I meant it to.

Nice Flobber...

On restrospect I don't think I would have gone to as many of the histo lectures that I did. However if you can get in with a decent histo lab instructor then they go over everything from that particular week with the slides in about 2 hours. It is like getting a whole week of lecture boiled down. I went to Pourcho's lab alot (speedy, knowledgable, concise), Wheater is really good too (though her class is usually packed). They both give good info, but not a whole lot of extraneous material like some of the others.

Anatomy classes...hmmm, pre-read and then if you don't get it...go to class. I found that anatomy lab was the best part of that class, but I think I am in the minority. It was a great way for me to learn, but I am a big hands-on person, I dissected every day. I also found that the prof's that you may not like in class ***sneeze that sounds alot like Bagchi*** were excellent in lab. Get in good with the lab prof's, if they like you they will spend alot of time at your table helping you identify hard to find objects. Dr. Dawn (still don't know her last name) is good in lab and Dr. Ettinger is also fabulous. She is a big sports fan so if you know trivia esp. baseball she will like you and spend time at your table just digging in with you. Bagchi is great for head and neck!!! That bears repeating. Bagchi is great for head and neck. He is probably the only reason why I passed that test.

Physio...go to or listen to the lectures in the first section esp if you guys end up with Kish and Golden. Their notes are really bad and test you on what they say in class. Second unit: Rossi is very enthusiastic in a kind of grandma way, very cute. Didn't have to study for her material that much because I learned alot from her lectures. DiCarlo...he is a nut!!! Seriously a nut, but again, I didn't even really read his notes because he is so great in class. Also, be sure to get his Jeopardy questions from the end of his section...most of the questions are exactly the same even the answers, and the others questions will just be re-written but the same exact principle.

Biochem. It sucks. Brusilow teaches from what he says in class, so his notes are pretty much useless. Mitchell - Colonel Sanders in disguise - completely boring, just be sure you can answer his conference questions. Brooks, man of the never-ending pathways...read the notes don't memorize the pathways, even though pathways is all he does in class.

Ok, I've exhausted all of my recommendations for now. And I guess that most of this won't be relevant for another 8-12 months but I guess that there is a record and you can always look it back up here.

dancinjenn said:
Nice Flobber...

Mitchell - Colonel Sanders in disguise - completely boring, just be sure you can answer his conference questions.

We both know that BROOKS is the true Colonel Sanders and Mitchell is just a sleepy Irishman. Let the truth be told!

I thought he was more like the drunken irishman

Shangal said:
I thought he was more like the drunken irishman

*zing!* :laugh:

MD'05 said:

I refuse to rag on that man; he writes the EASIEST exam questions ever and I shall forever love him.

Not that being a drunken Irishman is bad...

katrinadams9 said:
I don't know who you talk to, but it seems like everyone I know is behind, especially with all the Akins crap in biochem. I'm just basically studying his summaries now and saying "screw it" to all the other stuff...

Is anyone as uninterested in physio as me this time around? At first I liked it, but now it just seems so monotonous... too many damn hormones floating around.

I know what you mean... it is 7:30 and the summaries are looking good enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Flobber said:
We both know that BROOKS is the true Colonel Sanders and Mitchell is just a sleepy Irishman. Let the truth be told!

Brooks is to thin, but he does have the slight southern accent. Mitchell has the Colonel down on looks alone! Every time I look at him all I can see is a bucket of chicken under one arm.

less then 12 more hours, man, 12 lectures to go and I am gold

I'd give that exam two thumbs up... two thumbs up Brooks' ass. I hate that chicken-peddlin' bastard!

On a separate note, I love Akins. I'm feeling quite fuzzy about Gatti, too.

What did you guys think?

Flobber said:
I'd give that exam two thumbs up... two thumbs up Brooks' ass. I hate that chicken-peddlin' bastard!

What did you guys think?

I think most of Akins' Q's were ok, Gatti's were fairly easy... Brooks delights in making us feel raped up the ass...

Now I gotta try to cram more info into my already liquifying brain matter before it all leaks out my ears....

katrinadams9 said:
I think most of Akins' Q's were ok, Gatti's were fairly easy... Brooks delights in making us feel raped up the ass...

You guys are hilarious! Seems like you really have a fun class. I won't wish you luck on the exam because that always seemed condescending to me. I will instead wish you success in your hard work! Corny, but oh well.

I am guessing the average is going to be something like 95% for this one. And I am going to be the only kid in class with less then a 90%

what was the answer of that one question about NER, none of the answers seemed not right, I think I put that it doesn't recognize both the parent and daughter

Flobber said:

What did you guys think?

Gatti is my hero....

Shangal said:
what was the answer of that one question about NER, none of the answers seemed not right, I think I put that it doesn't recognize both the parent and daughter

The answer was that it is mutagenic because it can't distinguish between strands. I think...

I think that's what I put too, thanks
did the answer also say something about how it can tell the difference betwenn the daughter and parent strand, I think it was C

what's the difference between RIA-GH and BIA-GH?

Shangal said:
what's the difference between RIA-GH and BIA-GH?

Growth hormones of some sort? Never heard of em... ohhh, this is gonna be a riot tomorrow.

Yeah, the answer was C, btw.

Wait... is it maybe radioimmunoassayed and... something-immunoassayed?

RIA = Radio Immuno Assayed = how much is in your system

BIA = Biological Immuno Assayed = how much is in the active form

Does anyone else feel really stupid after that exam? I'm not sure if it was difficult, but my brain hurts...

Did I miss a lecture on leptin? All I remember seeing was a picture of two mice connected and one was fat and the other was skinny (and dead, I believe).

What was the glycosylated protein hormone?

I think I don't like Rillema's questions, some were ok but the rest... talk about being nit-picky!! I feel that at least half of the questions were insulin related, and I don't think that 1/2 of our lectures were on insulin. It is over though!!! yaaa...you all coming to the Post tonite? I'll be there!!

Rillema's questions = ridiculous

and I cited that

dancinjenn said:
I think I don't like Rillema's questions, some were ok but the rest... talk about being nit-picky!!

I'll second that!

Regarding some of Rillema's questions, does the term BOHICA mean anything to the rest of you?

oldjeeps said:
I'll second that!

Regarding some of Rillema's questions, does the term BOHICA mean anything to the rest of you?

BOHICA = Bend Over! Here It Comes Again!

I just hope I pulled a decent score.

ddmoore54 said:
Rillema's questions = ridiculous

and I cited that

you actually said ridiculous?

Cause that would be awesome... :D

artemis said:
you actually said ridiculous?

Cause that would be awesome... :D
Yes, I actually cited that, word for word.

ddmoore54 said:
Yes, I actually cited that, word for word.

Assuming they actually read our citations, it would be amusing to be a fly on the wall when they get to that one.

dancinjenn said:
BOHICA = Bend Over! Here It Comes Again!

I just hope I pulled a decent score.

my point exactly.

Is anyone else as hungover as I am this morning?

Apparently the Long Islands that I drank were stronger than I thought.... I had to make my fiance pull over three times on the way home so I could puke. I don't even remember anything after we got home. I woke up with my PJ's on thinking "what the hell happened last night." Then I remembered the pukedom that occured... Even though I hate puking (and being hungover), it really felt good to let loose again!

Happy Spring Break everyone!!!

katrinadams9 said:

Apparently the Long Islands that I drank were stronger than I thought.... I had to make my fiance pull over three times on the way home so I could puke. I don't even remember anything after we got home. I woke up with my PJ's on thinking "what the hell happened last night." Then I remembered the pukedom that occured... Even though I hate puking (and being hungover), it really felt good to let loose again!

I actually feel pretty good, esp for all of those amaretto sours, and a couple of Red Headed Sluts. Not hung over at all, though I did take my vitamins yesterday, drink plenty of water when I got home @ 3 am, and took a shower...which gets rid of the smoke smell. I find usually that 1/2 of my hangover symptoms come from the smoke saturation so I always take a shower to clear my sinuses before I go to bed.

Did any of you get hit on by the creepy law student? The guy in the green retro t-shirt, brown jacket with some faux fur trim, heaver-set, and sunglasses??? I know that I wasn't the only one because I saw him trying to kiss like 3 other ladies over the evening! But hey, It was his birthday!!! ewww.

What are ya'lls plans for break?

katrinadams9 said:

my head hurts.

YEY for spring break!!!!!!

Too bad much of it is going to be spent working... but at least I get to play with cute animals!!!

Hope everyone's break is great!!!!!

Yeah, physio wasn't that good. What the hell were they asking toward the end, I remember just dosing off and thinking, come on I just want to pass, god please give me that 70% commulative average.
Yesterday night was great. I was just chilling out with family, it was nice talking with normal people every once and a while. 9 more study free, t.v. watching, days, I am happy!

you work with cute animals? elaborate

I don't know how many of you check your e-mail over break. But there is some bad news. Taniform passed away on Saturday in Ecuador. He got caught in the rip tide and was swept out to sea. His body was recovered today. He was always such a joker and I know that I will remember the good times we had in class, partying at after-exam parties, and singing along at the Ol' Shelaleigh. I'm sure that we will all miss his presence.

dancinjenn said:
I don't know how many of you check your e-mail over break. But there is some bad news. Taniform passed away on Saturday in Ecuador. He got caught in the rip tide and was swept out to sea. His body was recovered today. He was always such a joker and I know that I will remember the good times we had in class, partying at after-exam parties, and singing along at the Ol' Shelaleigh. I'm sure that we will all miss his presence.

I just got the e-mails. It is so sad. I really only knew him from soccer but he was always smiling and easy to get a long with. :-(

I feel sick to my stomach after reading that email. Taniform was one of the first people I met when I started here. You just never think that someone you know is going to die. I feel just aweful for all his friends and family.

It is so hard to believe that he is gone. Just five days ago we were at the bar laughing and dancing and having a good time, debating on whether to have an after-bar party back at his/Emeka's place.

CeLo - you have it right, it does make me sick

It is unbelievable....i am just at a loss.....
He was such a great person, friends with everybody. I am so saddened for his family

Just so ya'll know we are trying to raise some money to help send Taniform's body to wherever his family is gonna have him buried (I hear it's very expensive to have bodies transported by air). I spoke to Emeka this morning and we are gonna try to raise some money for the family. I know that they are supposed to be addressing the class before our monday lecture and I think we will try to collect some money then. I you could pass the word around it would be helpful. Thanks

bradwilkins said:
Just so ya'll know we are trying to raise some money to help send Taniform's body to wherever his family is gonna have him buried (I hear it's very expensive to have bodies transported by air). I spoke to Emeka this morning and we are gonna try to raise some money for the family. I know that they are supposed to be addressing the class before our monday lecture and I think we will try to collect some money then. I you could pass the word around it would be helpful. Thanks

How absolutely sad. You should post a message to all class listserves so that we can contribute a few dollars.

Well, it is the last night of break. boo hoo. Now we start the wonderful world of neuro...yech! I got the atlas...wow, that is a lot of black and white. I just hope that it is more interesting than biochem was. Wait, anything would be more interesting than biochem...what was I thinking! See ya'll tomorrow. Well all of you who come to class. hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.