Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dancinjenn

I'm ready for my close up
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts.

Since we seem to have some regular WSU SOM posters on here I thought about making a thread where we could discuss classes, bash prof's, and generally let off steam...without a title on the thread that leads everyone to believe that WSU sucks.

What do ya'll think? Well I know what I think...

So let the debate/ranting/questions begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice idea... sorry about the title of the last one. It was a bad exam... :laugh:

Flobber said:
Nice idea... sorry about the title of the last one. It was a bad exam... :laugh:

Hey I totally agree with the crappy exam! Hmm. Today I'm gonna try to stay home instead of going to biochem and see how it works.

Members don't see this ad :)
dancinjenn said:
Hey I totally agree with the crappy exam! Hmm. Today I'm gonna try to stay home instead of going to biochem and see how it works.

I'm totally with you on that idea. Akins basically sucks as a lecturer, so I'm just going by his notes. What's up with Gatti? Does he remind anyone else of the Count from Sesame Street?

At least physio isn't bad this time around....

katrinadams9 said:
I'm totally with you on that idea. Akins basically sucks as a lecturer, so I'm just going by his notes. What's up with Gatti? Does he remind anyone else of the Count from Sesame Street?

Dammit, I was perfectly content not to listen to Gatti's lectures, but now I'm all curious. Remember the anatomy lecturer that sounded like Kermit?

Flobber said:
Dammit, I was perfectly content not to listen to Gatti's lectures, but now I'm all curious. Remember the anatomy lecturer that sounded like Kermit?

Nope. Must've skipped that day! :p

katrinadams9 said:

Yes I think he sounds like the Count. Did you know he's married to Ackerman??!?!?!?!! I feel bad for their little girl, could you imagine? Instead of cute little toys as a child she must have had molecular models!

On the Akins note: I printed off all of his summaries and am going to go by them and the practice q's he gives at the ends of his lectures.

dancinjenn said:
Yes I think he sounds like the Count. Did you know he's married to Ackerman??!?!?!?!! I feel bad for their little girl, could you imagine? Instead of cute little toys as a child she must have had molecular models!

On the Akins note: I printed off all of his summaries and am going to go by them and the practice q's he gives at the ends of his lectures.

Have you looked at his conference Q&A's on blackboard? I think they're going to be really helpful with studying as well. They seem to highlight the mosre important questions and lecture slides...

The "rumor" from the second years is that this exam is not that hard. Gatti said the same in one of the lectures. In fact, he said don't worry about a lot of his conference questions, because they are much harder than anything on the exam. Of course I'm not suggesting to study less, but it helps ease the nerves. Always prepare for the worst...

Two more weeks to go. I feel week, and I am behind with akins stuff and reproduction. What the hell is my problem.
Anyways, it's nice to know that no one's showing up to class anymore. I was listening to mitchel's lecture the other day and it seemed that only a couple of people actually showed up. But the bad news is that there is this rumor that bruce might stop video taping the lectures in the future because of the low attendance. Bruce is going to betray us, that bastard!

I don't think that Bruce can arbitrarily decide to not tape the lectures. Point being that what if someone is out of town or actually sick and can't come to lecture. Another point of taping the lectures is to give us a way to review material we might have missed during class...like we can't write as fast as Brusilow made up material...so they can't just decide not to tape the lectures because of low attendance.

If you guys are on biochem exam #2 you had better study. I don't think they made that beast any easier since I took it.

I know, I was just kidding about bruce. He seems like a nice guy who will ace every basic science exam if he is in med school. Plus the rumor is that the dean is pissed off, and not bruce, about the low attendance. And that they will stop video taping next year and not this year. But I bet you will still be able to get the audio, which might be good enough.
Bruce should work on the audio thing not fading away with the video. There is nothing worse then hearing :"ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THAt the protein ....... (no audio for 10 minutes) DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE", I mean why does he pick the more important stuff to not have audio with it.
Oh yeah, and don't you love it when professors say hence, thereaftor, and exquisite in the same sentence. Man, what am I doing in med school?
Ba Humbug, I am just a disgruntled guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD'05 said:
If you guys are on biochem exam #2 you had better study. I don't think they made that beast any easier since I took it.

Biochem #3. Any tips???

AStudent said:
churchsign.jpg

Lol! :laugh:

You're right...it is an adventure! ;)

dancinjenn said:
Biochem #3. Any tips???

Always know the last page of every lecture. They invariably craft questions from that info. Other than that, best to probe the profs directly (and discretely).

MD'05 said:
Always know the last page of every lecture. They invariably craft questions from that info. Other than that, best to probe the profs directly (and discretely).

Is it true that the 3rd exam is easier? I've heard rumors that exam 3 in both biochem and physio are the easiest exams of the year. Even some of our profs have said they will not be hard. Is there any truth to this, or are people just trying to screw us?

katrinadams9 said:
Is it true that the 3rd exam is easier? I've heard rumors that exam 3 in both biochem and physio are the easiest exams of the year. Even some of our profs have said they will not be hard. Is there any truth to this, or are people just trying to screw us?

Understand it was 3 years ago that I took the exam. What I remember is that the exams became increasingly more difficult. Exam 1 should have been relatively easy with a high average (some questions from Mitchell, woman with the thick-rimmed glasses). Then Exam 2 more difficult. Maybe they have changed things, but "they" try to weed out people so I am sure the exam will be more difficult.

Also, beware of the 2nd years. I remember our 2nd years gave us information that was totally false. It's kind of like a rite of passage or something. Always screw the underclassmen.

MD'05 said:
Also, beware of the 2nd years. I remember our 2nd years gave us information that was totally false. It's kind of like a rite of passage or something. Always screw the underclassmen.

I definitely think the 2nd years try to screw us. They told us not to study too hard for a certain anatomy exam (I believe it was the third one) and we all listened. It ended up being the exam with one of the lowest class averages. They also told us year one gets easier after anatomy. Boy, was that a whopper! I think biochem is much harder then anatomy was.... at least memorizing bones, muscles, nerves was somewhat relevant to practice.

katrinadams9 said:
I definitely think the 2nd years try to screw us. They told us not to study too hard for a certain anatomy exam (I believe it was the third one) and we all listened. It ended up being the exam with one of the lowest class averages. They also told us year one gets easier after anatomy. Boy, was that a whopper! I think biochem is much harder then anatomy was.... at least memorizing bones, muscles, nerves was somewhat relevant to practice.

Maybe you guys are just not as smart as the MSII's??? Ever think of that???

No I am just kidding, then again?!?

tupac_don said:

That's not very nice. The admin makes the exams harder every year. They are aware that there is always a group of students who will memorize the test questions and reconstruct the exam. Why do they do this? For their younger brother and sisters in the class below them. If you are not hooked up with an older sibling or sig other in the class above you, you are at a significant disadvantage.

tupac_don said:

Go away troll.

katrinadams9 said:

I think that, partially, it is a problem of averages. This year's MSII were a very smart MSI group...they had high averages compared to many of the years prior. I remember this being said by a couple of prof's in Anat/Histo block. So then the prof's decide to make some of the tests harder for us because the MSII's set a standard. And our class still gets really high averages on most of the tests. There have been people getting 96-100% on each and every test.

In talking with our class advisor if they were to post a bell curve for each of the tests, with the possible exception of clin med, our class would not have a traditional bell curve, we are actually bi-modal. There is a large group that is getting really high scores (95%-ish) and another group who hits at the 70%-ish mark...meaning most of our class averages hit in the 80's while not that many people actually get those scores.

dancinjenn said:
I think that, partially, it is a problem of averages. This year's MSII were a very smart MSI group...they had high averages compared to many of the years prior. I remember this being said by a couple of prof's in Anat/Histo block. So then the prof's decide to make some of the tests harder for us because the MSII's set a standard. And our class still gets really high averages on most of the tests. There have been people getting 96-100% on each and every test.

In talking with our class advisor if they were to post a bell curve for each of the tests, with the possible exception of clin med, our class would not have a traditional bell curve, we are actually bi-modal. There is a large group that is getting really high scores (95%-ish) and another group who hits at the 70%-ish mark...meaning most of our class averages hit in the 80's while not that many people actually get those scores.

I'm definitely in the 70%ish group...

a week and a half to go
does anyone know if we have to worry about foa's lectures. I just took a look at it and it seems to be pointless. So I don't want to watch another 1/2 an hour of naked pictures, that are pointless by the way, if I don't need too

Shangal said:
a week and a half to go
does anyone know if we have to worry about foa's lectures. I just took a look at it and it seems to be pointless. So I don't want to watch another 1/2 an hour of naked pictures, that are pointless by the way, if I don't need too

I went to his lectures and didn't see that he really covered anything we didn't already know. He did make a remark today about how one slide wouldn't be on his exam, so I think he will have questions on the exam. I wouldn't bother watching the lectures though....

tupac_don said:

Not to say we are smarter... but... it seems to be common knowledge that we have the highest percentages of any class in recent history. Damn these people fcking up my Z-score, haha.

Is anyone else pissed about class being moved up to 7am on Friday? I am very sad about the death of Dr. Hazlett (especially because he was the one who interviewed me), but I don't see why class should be moved up that early. They could either cancel the class or reschedule for Friday afternoon or Tuesday.

Basically I hate getting up that early and I know attendance has been low lately anways... is anyone going to show up for the early lecture? If I do go, I will not have showered and be in my PJ's...

Had Dr. Hazlett been sick recently? His death was really a shocker!

Katrina...I do think that they could have rescheduled for a better time than 7:00 in the morning. I won't be there, even if I didn't shower and was in Pj's I would still have to get up at 6:30. It is just not going to happen for me.

MD'05: No. That is why it is so surprising. He just passed away in his sleep. Dr. Linda tried to wake him up for an early meeting and that is when she realized that he was dead. He had passed away in the night and it was peaceful.

katrinadams9 said:
Is anyone else pissed about class being moved up to 7am on Friday? I am very sad about the death of Dr. Hazlett (especially because he was the one who interviewed me), but I don't see why class should be moved up that early. They could either cancel the class or reschedule for Friday afternoon or Tuesday.

Basically I hate getting up that early and I know attendance has been low lately anways... is anyone going to show up for the early lecture? If I do go, I will not have showered and be in my PJ's...

I don't think it will be a big deal for people who don't go to class anyway, they will have the tapes of the lectures, and I think if people really want to go to lecture and attend for funeral in support of his family and the great man that Dr. Hazlett was, I don't think one day of getting up early should be that big a deal....i am determined to go even though that means getting up at 5 am.....

My brain is broken. Can't study for these stupid exams. Will use all of break to get drunk.

Flobber said:
My brain is broken. Can't study for these stupid exams. Will use all of break to get drunk.

I hear that.

dancinjenn said:
I hear that.

I'm starting right after the physio exam on Thurs. My fiance and some pals of his are going to a hick bar in Lansing where they have a mechanical bull...

I feel so pumped up that I am gonig to fail this thing after tommorrow

Shangal said:
I feel so pumped up that I am gonig to fail this thing after tommorrow

No your not... A whole week!!! I have been dreaming of this since christmas break. Physio and biochem done!!! then we have 2 months left!!! Can you believe it? :eek: :D

dancinjenn said:
No your not... A whole week!!! I have been dreaming of this since christmas break. Physio and biochem done!!! then we have 2 months left!!! Can you believe it? :eek: :D

I have a sneaking suspicion that the worst has yet to come with neuro. But screw that for now, just have to get through these transcription factors... then its on to embarassing myself via public drunkeness.

a week will be nice. I guess that's something I could look forward too.
I am going to get out of scott hall, I think what's stressing me out the most are those pathways on the boards that kids in our class keep on drawing in the MD labs. And it will be nice if one person I met so far said, yeah I am kind of behind ........., it just seems everyone is so prepared for this one.
Well I guess I could always study in shiffman or maybe ann arbor

Shangal said:
a week will be nice. I guess that's something I could look forward too.
I am going to get out of scott hall, I think what's stressing me out the most are those pathways on the boards that kids in our class keep on drawing in the MD labs. And it will be nice if one person I met so far said, yeah I am kind of behind ........., it just seems everyone is so prepared for this one.
Well I guess I could always study in shiffman or maybe ann arbor

I don't know who you talk to, but it seems like everyone I know is behind, especially with all the Akins crap in biochem. I'm just basically studying his summaries now and saying "screw it" to all the other stuff...

Is anyone as uninterested in physio as me this time around? At first I liked it, but now it just seems so monotonous... too many damn hormones floating around.

yeah, I personally think foa's notes suck. they are all over the place and make no sense. How can cortisol first be pro and then anti-insulin .......
I just want this thing over with. It's nice to know that I am not the only one out there who is kind of behind. You actually made me feel a little better. so thanks.

Shangel,....whatever!!!! Aren't you a phD in molecular bio. I know that you are doing your dissertation on "cortisol malfunction in the diabetic vs. non diabetic age related, type 2 diabetes patient". You should be teaching us this stuff!!!!

I guess I should stop complaining then. I forgot that most of you kids in our class didn't have this before, so I guess I am at an advantage of having everything as a review during the first two years of med school. It will suck though if I start getting below 600s on the next two exams.

Wow ....Shangel, it is a good thing we have modest people like you in our class.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that. I guess it's my competitive nature I guess. Plus it won't look good if a med student straight off from undergrad did better then ME, someone who has a doctorate for god sake. I mean we all know that PhD's teach MDs

Shangal said:
I am sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that. I guess it's my competitive nature I guess. Plus it won't look good if a med student straight off from undergrad did better then ME, someone who has a doctorate for god sake. I mean we all know that PhD's teach MDs

What are you doing?

I am just trying to psych out FU/dUMP for lying about me having a PhD. I wish I had one, maybe then I won't be stressed out

Shangal said:
I am just trying to psych out FU/dUMP for lying about me having a PhD. I wish I had one, maybe then I won't be stressed out

K, I thought that I detected sarcasm. Just checking...

Hello everyone from Wayne,

Yesterday I received notification that I have been accepted to Wayne State! I am extremely excited, because Wayne is definately my top choice school.

I actually just wanted to thank all of you guys for making me feel do welcome during my two visits to campus. I had an awesome tour guide when I intereviewed, and and on my second visit I met some really nice second years in the class that I sat in on... Oh and your second year pathology instructor, the guy with the pony-tail, he is an AMAZING lecturer. So anyway, thank you to everyone who is freindly to the prospective students!

Also, I was wondering where everyone lives... I was thinking of maybe living in the new dorms. This would be a good choice for me because my husband will have to stay in Grand Rapids :( and I don't want to have to worry about having 2 seperate households/apartments... Does anyone have any opinions about living on campus? Have you heard about these new dorms?

Thank you all again,
Soleil

Flobber said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the worst has yet to come with neuro. But screw that for now, just have to get through these transcription factors... then its on to embarassing myself via public drunkeness.

Do NOT hit the wall for Neuro. Dig deep, and get through it. Our class had 20-something people fail Neuro, probably because they were so sick of first year and it was springtime.

I came within two questions of failing neuro...but partly because I went to a bachelor party in Las Vegas the weekend before the final. If I hadn't honored Exam #1..... :laugh:

Ruffels (sp?) had a good lab. Get there early, tho', if he's still teaching it.

Finally M3 said:
Do NOT hit the wall for Neuro. Dig deep, and get through it. Our class had 20-something people fail Neuro, probably because they were so sick of first year and it was springtime.

I came within two questions of failing neuro...but partly because I went to a bachelor party in Las Vegas the weekend before the final. If I hadn't honored Exam #1..... :laugh:

Ruffels (sp?) had a good lab. Get there early, tho', if he's still teaching it.

Are there any good books we should get for neuro or just use the notes? Are Raffols' notes for neuro as bad as they were for anatomy?

Does anyone know who's going to replace Dr. Hazlett for neuro?

Status
Not open for further replies.