Ways to Improve Reading Comprehension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can I Have Food

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, my reading comprehension sucks and it is holding me back from doing well on the MCAT (got a 4 on verbal AAMC3, untimed). I never liked reading material I don't find interesting, but the MCAT is composed of reading comprehension. Thus, I am seeking any useful advice on how to improve reading comprehension that has been used before and worked. I am planning to take my MCAT in January 2010, so that leaves me with about 5-6 months to improve my reading comprehension skills.

Anything is appreciated!
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

As some of you may know, my reading comprehension sucks and it is holding me back from doing well on the MCAT (got a 4 on verbal AAMC3, untimed). I never liked reading material I don't find interesting, but the MCAT is composed of reading comprehension. Thus, I am seeking any useful advice on how to improve reading comprehension that has been used before and worked. I am planning to take my MCAT in January 2010, so that leaves me with about 5-6 months to improve my reading comprehension skills.

Anything is appreciated!
Thanks! :)

My strategy is just to concentrate on the topic at hand and read throuh for a good understanding of the overall main point of the passage, without worry too much about the tiny details. I haven't taken the mcat yet, but I have taken many practice passages and tests from EK and TPR. At first I missed a lot of questions, but later on with practice the mistakes became fewer. I think the hardest part in reading comprehension is to stay in the "mindset." A lot of times, when another outside thought comes into my head, like a short one second day dream, it makes understanding the passage a lot more difficult.