Jul 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
As some of you may know, my reading comprehension sucks and it is holding me back from doing well on the MCAT (got a 4 on verbal AAMC3, untimed). I never liked reading material I don't find interesting, but the MCAT is composed of reading comprehension. Thus, I am seeking any useful advice on how to improve reading comprehension that has been used before and worked. I am planning to take my MCAT in January 2010, so that leaves me with about 5-6 months to improve my reading comprehension skills.

Anything is appreciated!
Thanks! :)

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
As some of you may know, my reading comprehension sucks and it is holding me back from doing well on the MCAT (got a 4 on verbal AAMC3, untimed). I never liked reading material I don't find interesting, but the MCAT is composed of reading comprehension. Thus, I am seeking any useful advice on how to improve reading comprehension that has been used before and worked. I am planning to take my MCAT in January 2010, so that leaves me with about 5-6 months to improve my reading comprehension skills.

Anything is appreciated!
Thanks! :)
My strategy is just to concentrate on the topic at hand and read throuh for a good understanding of the overall main point of the passage, without worry too much about the tiny details. I haven't taken the mcat yet, but I have taken many practice passages and tests from EK and TPR. At first I missed a lot of questions, but later on with practice the mistakes became fewer. I think the hardest part in reading comprehension is to stay in the "mindset." A lot of times, when another outside thought comes into my head, like a short one second day dream, it makes understanding the passage a lot more difficult.