Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WCU is no longer on my Bad Boy list!
Started by Goro
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Roll out the red carpet!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:do you have a best boi list for DO schools?
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
Last edited:
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
AZCOM’s tuition is only $2K/year cheaper than CCOM’s.
So noted!AZCOM’s tuition is only $2K/year cheaper than CCOM’s.
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
Crazy how Touro-NY went from the bad boy list to the best boi list.
D
deleted1066189
want to mention about WCU, they are extremely specific about their English pre-reqs (Composite and Literature classes only). They refused to accept a Classics course I took, when dozens of other programs had no issue!
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
excuse me where's OU-HCOM
Fine school, I toyed with the idea of applying to the Athens campus when they opened that up.excuse me where's OU-HCOM
They do favor the home team. Do they still have the requirement to stay in OH post-graduation?
Fine school, I toyed with the idea of applying to the Athens campus when they opened that up.
They do favor the home team. Do they still have the requirement to stay in OH post-graduation?
Yes. For out-of-state students, they make em sign a contract to practice in Ohio for a number of years.
You may opt out of the contract but must pay a significant fine.
D
deleted952648
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
How do you feel about WVSOM?
Fine school. A colleague of mine was once on the Faculty there.How do you feel about WVSOM?
How much is the fine?Yes. For out-of-state students, they make em sign a contract to practice in Ohio for a number of years.
You may opt out of the contract but must pay a significant fine.
How much is the fine?
Not sure. I think like one year of tuition
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about RVU?Fine school. A colleague of mine was once on the Faculty there.
Not crazy about their for profit status and historically meh match lists. I normally don't recommend them, but I can't not recommend them either.What about RVU?
What about oklahoma state?Not crazy about their for profit status and historically meh match lists. I normally don't recommend them, but I can't not recommend them either.
Fine school, but highly favors the home teamWhat about oklahoma state?
In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
No love for TCOM?
I avoid mentioning the state DO schools because they all favor the home team!No love for TCOM?
What about oklahoma state?
Fine school, but highly favors the home team
@AnatomyGrey12 were you a home team matriculant?
A
AnatomyGrey12
@AnatomyGrey12 were you a home team matriculant?
No.
What about oklahoma state?
there, n=1 for you
I do remember @AnatomyGrey12 having a high MCAT though so take that into consideration
A
AnatomyGrey12
there, n=1 for you
I do remember @AnatomyGrey12 having a high MCAT though so take that into consideration
Yeah I did. Honestly I kinda think I just got a little lucky. A lot of the other OOS students come from neighboring states or did UG in OK.
There are a handful of OOS students that get in without any real ties to the state though, so it’s worth applying if you have good stats IMO. They have a specific mission, and if you can articulate how you fit that mission it goes a long way.
Would it be accurate to say that a good candidate from the Plains states would be competitive for OSUCOM?Yeah I did. Honestly I kinda think I just got a little lucky. A lot of the other OOS students come from neighboring states or did UG in OK.
There are a handful of OOS students that get in without any real ties to the state though, so it’s worth applying if you have good stats IMO. They have a specific mission, and if you can articulate how you fit that mission it goes a long way.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Would it be accurate to say that a good candidate from the Plains states would be competitive for OSUCOM?
Yeah I would agree with that. They definitely have a better chance than an OOS applicant from like Virginia would.
Aren’t pass rates highly dependent on the quality of students? I mean if you accept a bunch of 490 mcat slackers, your pass rate would still be low even if had a world class education.
Maybe wcu just had better students for this class even though the institution didnt get better.
Maybe wcu just had better students for this class even though the institution didnt get better.
Not necessarily. OSU, VCOM-VA, WVSOM and PCOM all average ~500 MCAT (meaning many people in the 490s) and still have decent board pass rates.Aren’t pass rates highly dependent on the quality of students? I mean if you accept a bunch of 490 mcat slackers, your pass rate would still be low even if had a world class education.
Maybe wcu just had better students for this class even though the institution didnt get better.
source: Osteopathic Schools Ranked by MCAT
Last edited:
Fine school. A colleague of mine was once on the Faculty there.
You probably won't answer this, but does this colleague happen to be a fiery red head?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In all of my years of teaching, I honestly have never had a fiery redheaded colleague! Students, yes.You probably won't answer this, but does this colleague happen to be a fiery red head?
ATSU-SOMA?
Are you asking what I think about them? If so, not a fan of their 1+3 model, where kids are scattered all over AZ.ATSU-SOMA?
Are you asking what I think about them? If so, not a fan of their 1+3 model, where kids are scattered all over AZ.
Naah, kids aren’t scattered all over AZ, they’re all in Mesa for year 1, then divided out to rotation sites around the country for years 2-4.
Lots of schools send students away for rotations.
What I’ll say is that the Curriculum was great. I learned really well with it.
It was a solid education, I’ll say that. But still an Osteopathic school, so in the end it’s sorta meh. Still, I liked it and would attend again.
D
deleted898021
Current WCUCOM student and I can attest to this! The school is also helping to start several residencies in the state in Gulfport, and has support from the state..
I'm starting to see more residencies developed in MS than what we have in Colorado. And Colorado is a state with at least 2 Million more people. Someone in a leadership position down there must have a clue. Look at the MS residencies under development graphic on the top of this page.
www.ompw.org
Home
D
deleted898021
Yes for sure, a lot of this has to do with wcucom and our dean pushing for new residences in the state. We also have a strong affiliation with merit health, the largest health system in the state.I'm starting to see more residencies developed in MS than what we have in Colorado. And Colorado is a state with at least 2 Million more people. Someone in a leadership position down there must have a clue. Look at the MS residencies under development graphic on the top of this page.
![]()
Home
www.ompw.org
D
deleted898021
They send kids everywhere across the country for core rotations 3rd year? It’s that carribean like?Naah, kids aren’t scattered all over AZ, they’re all in Mesa for year 1, then divided out to rotation sites around the country for years 2-4.
Lots of schools send students away for rotations.
What I’ll say is that the Curriculum was great. I learned really well with it.
It was a solid education, I’ll say that. But still an Osteopathic school, so in the end it’s sorta meh. Still, I liked it and would attend again.
D
deleted898021
This isn’t true, many schools have lower mcats then even wcucom but thier pass rates have been higher, but wcucom has shown improvement in the past 3 years.Aren’t pass rates highly dependent on the quality of students? I mean if you accept a bunch of 490 mcat slackers, your pass rate would still be low even if had a world class education.
Maybe wcu just had better students for this class even though the institution didnt get better.
They send kids everywhere across the country for core rotations 3rd year? It’s that carribean like?
They are partnered with the National Association of Community Health Centers. They have like 11 large health centers that students are based out of. The national association asked for the school, to train community minded docs who would hopefully work in CHC’s. The school said “give us rotation sites with that exposure. They even have/had something called “hometown applicant” which is a program for community health centers to identify folks that they think are good candidates and have a high chance of returning to practice, who then get special consideration for admission.
Clinical Workforce Recruitment - NACHC
Clinical Workforce Recruitment College for Healthy Communities & the Under-Served (CHC-U) NACHC was part of the founding of this educational entity solely committed to responding to […]
www.nachc.org
So no not literally “all over the country” but the health centers SOMA sends their students to are in a few different states. I was based in Portland, Oregon. My friends were in Tucson, AZ. Honolulu, HI. Brooklyn, NY. Chicago, IL. Etc.
It looks like the Brooklyn site is connected to NYU Langone health. Which is new.
Last edited:
Hi @Goro! I'm curious whether your respect for NYITCOM extends to the Jonesboro campus? Thanks!In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
Nope. It's a separate school, and still too new.Hi @Goro! I'm curious whether your respect for NYITCOM extends to the Jonesboro campus? Thanks!
@Goro Is there any particular reason Nevada's Touro is not on your list? In-state preference perhaps?In no particular order, I have a high regard for:
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
DMU
no@Goro Is there any particular reason Nevada's Touro is not on your list?
Which state programs are the best? And how do they compare to the list above?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're all fine schoolsWhich state programs are the best? And how do they compare to the list above?
wcu is no longer a bad boi but not yet a best boiWCUCOM is now a great school because it's average....?
student doc34
2020 - 2021 cycle
@Goro What about Rowan?
@Goro What about Rowan?
do I have to give my opinion and all 40-plus do schools?
I'm done playing this game
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 642