WCUCOM vs MU-COM vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadgorlz

Reaction score
All these schools are far from me, but WCUCOM is the farthest and hardest to get to (3 hr plane then 2.5 hr drive)
WCUCOM Pros:
- P/F grading
- lower tuition
- environment seems super friendly and collaborative
- good resources

WCUCOM Cons:
- super duper far from family

MU-COM Pros:
- bigger city
- good rotation sites
- easier to travel to
- students seems happy

MU-COM Cons:
- graded system

UIWSOM Pros:
- P/F grading system
- commute is similar to MUCOM
- bigger city compared to WCUCOM

UIWSOM Cons:
- ? religious? not but shoving religion down your throat so not so bad
- not sure if they give alot of resources
- unsure about how students feel about this school

Members don't see this ad.

unsure of tuition diff but I would pick MU-COM from this list simply due to the rotation and travel!

Reactions: 1 users
I personally love UIWSOM. Unfortunately there’s times where interview days fall right before test weeks, so students can seem a little negative due to stress! However, I have friends at other med schools who are the same way! At the end of the day, pick the school where you see yourself being happiest! So excited for you, future doctor!! ❤️

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally love UIWSOM. Unfortunately there’s times where interview days fall right before test weeks, so students can seem a little negative due to stress! However, I have friends at other med schools who are the same way! At the end of the day, pick the school where you see yourself being happiest! So excited for you, future doctor!! ❤️
Thank you student doctor taylor <3 How do you feel about the exams and curriculum at UIWSOM?

I am conflicted and don't know what to do :(
WCUCOM is cheaper, P/F, but it is extremely far from me
UISOM is newer so that scares me for board scores, but it is closer and a bigger city

UISOM is newer so that scares me for board scores, but it is closer and a bigger city
I think you just need to be really honest with yourself about what your priorities are! If your priorities are cost, go with the cheaper of the 2. If your priority is proximity to family, pick UIW! Its just so important to be honest with yourself and choose what's best for you. And remember, YOU take boards. You aren't *assigned* the median board score. You take Step/COMLEX. You get a score. I know that's obvious, but why I think that's super important to remember: WCUCOM may have better average board scores, but if you struggle emotionally and mentally being so far from home in a smaller town, *you* may perform much more poorly (in classes and on boards) than if you were closer to home. A school with better board score is great, but if you fail out/don't pass Step 1 because you're in an environment/city that's not good for you, it won't matter.

Now with that being said, obvi i'm biased to WCU, and if location isn't that important to you ultimately, come join us! ;) but more importantly than any comment on SDN is knowing yourself and knowing what's best for you! When it comes to picking between otherwise neutral options, Listening to your own heart/mind will yield much more wisdom than strangers on SDN!

• Love
I think you just need to be really honest with yourself about what your priorities are! If your priorities are cost, go with the cheaper of the 2. If your priority is proximity to family, pick UIW! Its just so important to be honest with yourself and choose what's best for you. And remember, YOU take boards. You aren't *assigned* the median board score. You take Step/COMLEX. You get a score. I know that's obvious, but why I think that's super important to remember: WCUCOM may have better average board scores, but if you struggle emotionally and mentally being so far from home in a smaller town, *you* may perform much more poorly (in classes and on boards) than if you were closer to home. A school with better board score is great, but if you fail out/don't pass Step 1 because you're in an environment/city that's not good for you, it won't matter.

Now with that being said, obvi i'm biased to WCU, and if location isn't that important to you ultimately, come join us! ;) but more importantly than any comment on SDN is knowing yourself and knowing what's best for you! When it comes to picking between otherwise neutral options, Listening to your own heart/mind will yield much more wisdom than strangers on SDN!
This was such a reassuring response and way to decide between schools, thank you for that <3

I have merged your 2 threads asking about WCU vs UIWSOM.

Reactions: 1 users