WCVM - 1st year books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piglet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (Saskatoon) this fall and want to know what specific books I'll need for 1st year. I haven't received any information yet - should be coming soon - but I'm not sure if a book list is included. I am also wondering what books current students in any year of study would recommend as good investment type books (i.e., always useful) or might reccommend as supplemental type books (books that were easier to understand or more user friendly perhaps than assigned book(s))? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I doubt you'll get a book list in your package of info; last year we had to wait until our classes started to get info on the required textbooks. But assuming nothing changes, this is what we required for first year:

Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy - Dyce, Sack and Wensing
Guide to the Dissection of the Dog - Evans and de Lahunta
Dellman's Textbook of Veterinary Histology - Eurell and Frappier
Colour Atlas of Veterinary Histology - Bacha and Bacha

A lot of people also found the following useful:

Anatomy of Domestic Animals: Systemic and Regional Approach - Pasquini (this is a good textbook if you learn better from pictures, especially since Dyce, Sack and Wensing is so text-rich)
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary (or any good vet dictionary)
Colour Atlas of Clinical Anatomy of the Dog and Cat - Boyd and Pattersen (I personally found this book really useful for anatomy)

We didn't really have a required text for physiology, since they recommended a bunch of different textbooks that are on reserve at the library. Keep in mind also that you'll be assigned a second-year "buddy" soon, and they may be able to sell you/give you their first year textbooks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: