WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get in too :( but never give up! will try again!!
BTW, they just give me an overall ranking out of 101 in BC, but they didn't give me a ranking for my grades, are will suppose to get a ranking just based on academic performance (that's what my frd had last year). ???

Kakula - yes, I think so! In the past that's the way it's been. I think it's helpful to know where you stand. To see if you have improved from the last round, so if I were you I would email and ask if they have your rank.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you Leila!! Your story is very inspiring and I will never give up!!
They did mention that my leadership experience is weak, what are some ways to improve it?? I am too old to join air cadet, lol!!

Where in BC are you from? I grew up in Ladner/Langley.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy...a lot has happened on here in two days. I got in...Im a BC resident first time applying. I had an average of 93% after 3 years of University. A book I found really really helpful for strengthening my interview was Veterinary Medical Ethics available on amazon.ca for $50.00. It discusses everything from companion animals to large animals. Another book that helped me was the Ethics of What We Eat which discusses a lot of food production stuff which would have really helped with that crate question. I also worked 20 hours a week at a small animal clinic and volunteered at a large animal clinic and an animal rescue society. They seemed happy with my knowledge of cows and my response when they tried to rattle me (which sounds like what they were trying to do to you maplegal about the "piggies" comment.

Anyways, see those of you that got in in August and those that didn't next August!! (or even the one after, as long as you give don't give up ill see you there!!)

Thank you Leila!! Your story is very inspiring and I will never give up!!
They did mention that my leadership experience is weak, what are some ways to improve it?? I am too old to join air cadet, lol!!

Animal rescue societies are great for that! For example, I was an adoption event leader (which really isn't that hard) and an adoption screener, where I helped and assessed people in regards to animal ownership. Also, they are usually hurtin for good volunteers so it is easy to work your way up the ladder.

Holy...a lot has happened on here in two days. I got in...Im a BC resident first time applying. I had an average of 93% after 3 years of University. A book I found really really helpful for strengthening my interview was Veterinary Medical Ethics available on amazon.ca for $50.00. It discusses everything from companion animals to large animals. Another book that helped me was the Ethics of What We Eat which discusses a lot of food production stuff which would have really helped with that crate question. I also worked 20 hours a week at a small animal clinic and volunteered at a large animal clinic and an animal rescue society. They seemed happy with my knowledge of cows and my response when they tried to rattle me (which sounds like what they were trying to do to you maplegal about the "piggies" comment.

Anyways, see those of you that got in in August and those that didn't next August!! (or even the one after, as long as you give don't give up ill see you there!!)

Congrats Moo!

Congrats!!!!! :D Definitely second the Intro to Vet Med Ethics book -- it's a great read! I will have to pick up Ethics of What We Eat. Thanks for the recommendation!

So Heather emailed me ... #1 on the alternate list ...

Knowing that I missed a spot ... by ... one ... person ...

This is the worst. THE WORST. Especially because I get no feedback now.

(Also, congrats, Moo!!)

(Also, congrats, Moo!!)

Ughhhhhhh I can understand your frustration. Did they say how many were on it?

Here's to hoping that 1 person declines!!!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck:

(Also, congrats, Moo!!)

Aw I do know of one person from BC who is debating going to another school, so you never know! There could be others. If not, at least you'll probably get in next year.

Ughhhhhhh I can understand your frustration. Did they say how many were on it?

Here's to hoping that 1 person declines!!!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck:
I asked how many were on it and where I was, she said I was #1 and that "[she's] sorry [she] can't give me any more information".

Thanks!
Aw I do know of one person from BC who is debating going to another school, so you never know! There could be others. If not, at least you'll probably get in next year.
Why would anyone want to go to another school?! But ... yeah, another year of this! Haha. Ughhh so close.:mad:

(Also, congrats, Moo!!)

Oh my gosh! Kermit123!! We're all hoping for you! Fingers and toes are crossed!

Are there any peeps from AB waiting to hear back from UCVM?? I'm going crazy here!!! :scared: Have they made their calls yet?? I figured they would by now since WCVM has already.
Has anyone heard anything?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dls116,

If your grades are good enough to get you an interview, and you are on the lower end for grades... You can still get in! You just have to nail your interview to get above those with a killer GPA.

If you want to improve even more, and can stomach another year of UG, go back for a year, retake those courses that were only so-so, it'll bump up your GPA standing... Then you won't have to have the perfect interview.

If you re-take courses, do they still take into account your first attempt? Don't they average both tries? If they average tries, I don't think it would help me much.

Are there any peeps from AB waiting to hear back from UCVM?? I'm going crazy here!!! :scared: Have they made their calls yet?? I figured they would by now since WCVM has already.

That is really cutting it close. :(

My friend who applied hasn't heard anything yet.

If you re-take courses, do they still take into account your first attempt? Don't they average both tries? If they average tries, I don't think it would help me much.

For UCVM they didn't average mine. At least there was no spot on the application for that.

I don't think WCVM did for mine either, since they look at overall GPA and best year... Not GPA for pre-reqs

I could be wrong though.

Mine we completed ten years apart, at some point they "expire".

That is really cutting it close. :(

My friend who applied hasn't heard anything yet.

Thanks! Maybe they won't call this year.....who knows. I guess the waiting continues.

UCVM usually calls around second week of June, because that's generally around the time Saskatoon sends out their acceptances.

Saskatoon jumped the gun early this year by sending out notifications first week of June, so UCVM still may not have notified anyone. But the last time Saskatoon jumped the gun to "beat" Calgary to sending out acceptances to Alberta students, the Dean here at UCVM phoned the next day (which happened to be a Saturday), so it's tough to say.

I can tell you I haven't heard anything yet and I knew quite a few people who interviewed for UCVM, so don't give up hope. It still may be another week before UCVM phones their accepted students.

Last edited:
For any classes that I re-took I put down my latest grade. But you can only re-take something once. They look at prereq and 2 best years.

I thought that WCVM was supposed to meet today and then send stuff out?? Also, don't they normally give you a week to decide instead of 5 days? Everything seems weird. But I doubt that we have to wait long for UCVM. :)

Pinsch, you've re-kindled my hope! Thanks:)
I'm surprised the Dean called on a Saturday ...maybe he will again this year!
Just the thought of another anxiety filled week of waiting is exhausting.

Hmm the only classes that would make a significant change if I retook them would be all my physics classes, but I don't think I want to put myself through that again :p

Last edited:
It's sobering reading some of these posts, you all sound so amazing. I'm from BC and I just found out yesterday. It's all a bit crazy. wow.

The year I applied, Dr. Grahn said that WCVM didn't allow retakes because some of the universities where students apply from don't allow them to retake a course, and it's not fair for them if students at other schools can retake courses to improve their grade. I don't know if it has changed since then, but unless you know for sure that they would count it, I wouldn't retake a course.

I got a call from UCVM an hour ago, I got in!

Congrats!!!!!!! You applied to AVC too right? Have a 1st choice?
That is awesome you got in!!!!! :D

Thanks everyone! I hope others get good news soon, too :xf: I have no idea what I'm going to do if I get accepted into both. I'm still shocked I have one acceptance :eek:

Congratulations to those that got a call!

I, however, did not. :( Saying I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement....
I guess there's still a chance that I'm on the wait list but I'm not holding my breath.

Congratulations to those that got a call!

I, however, did not. :( Saying I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement....
I guess there's still a chance that I'm on the wait list but I'm not holding my breath.

I feel the same. Not really expecting much at this point. 128 to 32 is a tough cut to make. We'll do better next year! :)

It really is insane the number of people they interview for so few seats! It's stressful to go through the interview process, with only a 25% chance of acceptance. :(

For applicants that interviewed more than once at WCVM, were your interviews relatively similar when considering questions asked? Or was your interviews drastically different according to questions asked?

For applicants that interviewed more than once at WCVM, were your interviews relatively similar when considering questions asked? Or was your interviews drastically different according to questions asked?

In general, yes.

1 - tell me about yourself

2 - animal related experience

3 - knowledge of the profession

1 - looking for leadership qualities, well-roundedness

2 - anything animal related, could be specific or broad, details about experience, your views on controversial issues

3 - a day in the life of a vet, do you know what you're getting yourself into

Those are the sorts of things that seemed to overlap between interviews.

Oh okay thank you! Did you go into great depth on 'a day in the life as a vet'? In my interview I kept it pretty broad and non specific and perhaps that it was wrong to?

Oh okay thank you! Did you go into great depth on 'a day in the life as a vet'? In my interview I kept it pretty broad and non specific and perhaps that it was wrong to?

No, I didn't go into specifics. But I think they want you to know that vets work long hours, especially in emergency cases.

Well, for those of you still wondering about UCVM, they just sent out final statuses via email. Looks like I'll be trying again next year! I imagine the whole process will be easier (and slightly less intimidating) the second time around.

Sorry to hear that, Escalla! I feel your pain! Didn't you get into Kansas though!!?

Thanks dls116 :) I did, but I'll be calling them this week to decline my seat. It's just too much to graduate with $240,000 in debt and I never thought I had a chance in Canada. So I'm willing to make the sacrifice to try again and save the money -- I just hope it doesn't bite me later. :(

Last edited:
No wait list for me either....
I will definitely be applying again next year but right now I feel so heart broken and defeated.
I totally agree that the second time around should be a lot less stressful.
Congrats again to those that made it this year and good luck to those trying again next year.
Stay strong!

I'm sorry Escalla, I feel your pain too. But I can't imagine what a hard decision it must have been to decline at Kansas, but you definitely have a chance in Canada! Do you still have a year left in your degree? That's where I am right now, and I'm trying to convince myself that there's still lots of room for improvement :)

TeyTey - I know how you feel. It's hard to not feel heartbroken. I've been feeling like a total reject all week :p But stay strong and rock it next year!

At least we all have each other who know exactly how one another is feeling. My family and friends have all been supportive and motivating but they'll never feel the initial feeling of defeat and heartbreak like we did in the past couple days!

I'm still so happy for everyone who got into either UCVM or WCVM. You'll have to visit on here and let us know about your journey through your first year of VET SCHOOL!! And hopefully the rest of us will be joining next year :)

I know how those of you who didn't get in are feeling. It took me 4 tries before I made it into UCVM and each rejection was more gutting than the previous one. I was a mediocre candidate when I first applied, but I improved enough after 4 years to make it in, so if I can get in, pretty much anyone who's heart is in it can, haha.

Just keep being determined to make it and you will :) (and hopefully it won't take you 4 years like it did for me, haha)

fishfinn, unfortunately I just graduated -- but the last year is always SO much fun!!!! Definitely take the time to enjoy it and complete your degree! Plus, it will be a while before you're back at the top of the totem pole in vet school, so enjoy being at the top!!! ;)

Take this time to do things that you've always wanted but have put off because of vet school in the fall. I've always wanted to adopt a cat (love cats, my family hates them), but with a year to spend with it, it's a great time to start looking. You just need to find the things that will make you happy in the next year that you couldn't do if you were going to school in the fall. It helps heal your loss and sense of failure -- so please share what your plans are, what you're excited about and what you're looking forward to! The WCVM thread doesn't have to end yet! :)

I love SDN so much in that we really have people to relate to and talk about the process with and the share heartbreak if things don't work out. We are hard-working, dedicated, intelligent individuals! This year didn't work out, but now we have a year to gain more experiences, learn more about vet med and further discover why we love it. We are awesome, and next year, the interviewers will have a hard time not being impressed.

Pinsch I admire you for never giving up! :thumbup: That's amazing and inspiring!!
I'm going to keep applying until my courses are too old (10 years right? lol).

Escalla, those are my exact thoughts as well! I plan on doing a bunch of things during the next year that I'd be too busy for if I was in school.
I'm going to finally learn French fully. I even have the full Rosetta Stone disc series that's just been sitting here forever....going to finally tackle it! I also plan on organizing all of my favorite recipes and putting them onto recipe cards and into a binder for easy access.

I also plan on taking the one course I'm missing to allow me to apply to WCVM next year. I need one more English class!! (So frustrating....long story, but when I was in university, I didn't know that I'd be applying to be a vet). I'm going to sign up for one that I can do online or in the evenings so I can continue to work full time.

What about everyone else?

no UCVM for me either :(

I am kinda at a lost here... I still want to be a vet more than anything. I am definitely applying next year but its hard. I have one more semester then I'll have my degree :D? I am trying to get more animal experience, large animal stuff cuz i dont have enough... and continue all the vet clinic volunteering....

Then, I am really not sure what to do with a zoology degree.... I am thinking of things other than vet that I would like to be, but they all require more education... I would like to have a job between my graduation and eventually figuring out what is best... But lol there isnt a job that tailors to zoology majors other than zoos, humane society, and vet clinics.
I am considering taking MCAT and maybe apply for med school? or EMT? I don't have a clue as to what that process would be like and lol I find it funny how that's my back up plan....

You are taking Zoology at U of C right? I used to be on that track :D
Honestly, I haven't been able to think of anything that I can do with my degrees (B.Sc. in Biology and Equine Science) that doesn't involve additional education either. Originally my plan was to tack on another 2 yrs at U of L and teach high school biology. But...I've pretty much decided that I will apply however many times that it takes -- or until they get sick of reading my app and just let me in. ;)

Good luck in whatever you decide!!! Let us know!

Well, for those of you still wondering about UCVM, they just sent out final statuses via email. Looks like I'll be trying again next year! I imagine the whole process will be easier (and slightly less intimidating) the second time around.

You will feel way more prepared next year! Plus we'll be here to help you!

Are you finished with your UG now? I forget...

You will feel way more prepared next year! Plus we'll be here to help you!

Are you finished with your UG now? I forget...

Awww, thanks!!!! :) Yep, I'm done. Figured I'd do some crazy stuff for the next year along with gaining some SA experience. Things like getting my motorcycle license come to mind. :D

Still working on my parents for a cat though. ;)

Leila, what are you up to this summer before school? I hope a lot of relaxation!!!

Good luck getting a cat, Escalla! I'm stuck with only having one cat due to the selfish personality of the cat I own :p But it sucks because throughout the past 3 years volunteering with rescues, I've fallen in love with so many cats. There's even a couple that still haven't gotten homes after over 2 years that I am completely in love with but can't have! But alas, I love my kitty too much to bring another feline into the house.

Awww, thanks!!!! :) Yep, I'm done. Figured I'd do some crazy stuff for the next year along with gaining some SA experience. Things like getting my motorcycle license come to mind. :D

Still working on my parents for a cat though. ;)

Leila, what are you up to this summer before school? I hope a lot of relaxation!!!

I have always had tons of things on the go! Mainly because I have been planning on rejection for so many years ;)

Every job I have taken has given me experience that I think will help me. I am working in a genetics lab currently. Since I will be leaving, they will need more technicians and at our staff meeting the manager said he wanted more techs per shift. A biology or zoology degree is perfect for it ;) if any one is interested in more info PM me.

I am taking some private lessons in circus.

My sister gets married in August and I am in the bridal party.

So I have a lot still going on!