WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groff00

WCVM c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I didn't see a post for this year yet so I thought I'd start one. How many of you applied to WCVM this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I did! I'm a first time applicant, finished my degree in Bio at UBC in May. Obviously a BC applicant. Not excited to wait as long as we have to to find out about interviews though. :thumbdown:(

I did! Alberta resident. It will be a long two months of waiting :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Escalla did you apply to UCVM too? I applied to WCVM and UCVM last year but moved to Saskatchewan this year so I am only eligible to apply to WCVM.

Kermit, yes it's a long process. Many months filled with stress and waiting! I am always jealous of those in the US that know if they get in before we hear about interviews.

Yes, I am actually! I'm applied to a few U.S. schools too and I would definitely prefer it if WCVM and UCVM moved up their timelines to match. The sooner, the better! :D

Hi! I applied to WCVM this year for the first time. I am a third year student specializing in Ecology. Super anxious, they don't make it easy! Does anyone know when do they normally let you know if you have an interview? Any tips on the kinds of questions they ask (other than the obvious ones you can find on the internet)?

From what I can tell, I think they let you know early March and WCVM does an MMI inverview style, right? Some inside info on that is definitely needed...

I think I heard back from both UCVM and WCVM in March.

It may have changed, but when I did my interviews UCVM had a closed file MMI and WCVM had an open file traditional interview (3 interviewers).

Yup, no MMI for WCVM. I was told there may be some interviews in late March so I'm assuming that early March would be the time to hear about it ... aka not for another couple months. :(

I'm the most impatient person, I check my application status almost every day, haha.

Haha me too! Thanks....its gonna be a long two months.

Hey!

First time applicant. I currently live in Ontario where I'm doing my undergrad degree, but I was born in Manitoba and am applying as a Manitoba resident. Any other Manitoba applicants in here?

Hey all! I'm a BC resident applying to WCVM (first time) as well. UBC grad! Definitely NOT enjoying this super long wait to hear back about interviews. Did anyone else apply to any US schools or internationally?

I've applied to a few U.S. schools too! But I transferred down here to finish my undergrad. I'm hoping for $$$ sake that WCVM or UCVM finds something they like in my app :) Where did you apply in the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to a few U.S. schools too! But I transferred down here to finish my undergrad. I'm hoping for $$$ sake that WCVM or UCVM finds something they like in my app :) Where did you apply in the states?

I applied to CSU, Oregon State, Wisonsin, Illinois and WesternU. I also applied to RVC and St. George's internationally. I've been rejected from CSU and Illinois (Illinois didn't understand half of the courses on my transcript, so I wish I hadn't bothered applying there), have interviews for WesternU and RVC and am in at St. Georges - waiting to hear back from the rest. WCVM is definitely my first choice, but RVC is looking pretty cool as well! I just wish we didn't have to wait so long to hear news from our lovely Canadian schools.

Where did you go to do your undergrad? And what schools have you applied to? Hopefully this crazy admissions process is treating you relatively well :)

I'm finishing my undergrad at the University of Minnesota, but I transferred from the University of Calgary. I applied to Illinois and Iowa (which neither gave me the time of day), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas (interviewed a week ago), WCVM and UCVM. RVC is definitely a school that I would apply to if I had the opportunity to go abroad. I watched some youtube videos of students giving a tour around the school and thought it looked really cool! Plus, who wouldn't want to attend school in England? ;)

Having to wait on the Canadian schools is affecting my mental health. Even receiving an interview, having to wait until June for a letter is awful....If you get accepted to Western or RVC are you paying the deposit and then basically eating it in June if you get an acceptance to WCVM? I'm not sure what else we could do....

I'm finishing my undergrad at the University of Minnesota, but I transferred from the University of Calgary. I applied to Illinois and Iowa (which neither gave me the time of day), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas (interviewed a week ago), WCVM and UCVM. RVC is definitely a school that I would apply to if I had the opportunity to go abroad. I watched some youtube videos of students giving a tour around the school and thought it looked really cool! Plus, who wouldn't want to attend school in England? ;)

Having to wait on the Canadian schools is affecting my mental health. Even receiving an interview, having to wait until June for a letter is awful....If you get accepted to Western or RVC are you paying the deposit and then basically eating it in June if you get an acceptance to WCVM? I'm not sure what else we could do....

Haha agreed! mental health is definitely being affected. Yes, i'll probably just eat my deposit in june if i get into WCVM. WCVM is sooooo much cheaper though that it'll still work out to less money after 4 years :). Would you plan to go to WCVM over the American schools if you got in?

Probably, but I really couldn't say for sure since I've never been there. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was though.....This actually came up during my interview at K-State. One of the interviewers was from Alberta and had asked me if it came down to it which I would choose. Very tough question -- I absolutely loved K-State while I was there so I'd have to really take my time deciding.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this, although I have been reading through threads as a guest for a couple months now. When this forum popped up, I decided it'd be a good time to actually join!

I applied to WCVM this past year as well.. I am from Regina (born and raised), currently getting an undergrad degree at the University of Regina and in my last semester of my program! I also applied to Wisconsin as some of you have as well, I know my chances are probably a lot greater at U of S in comparison, but I decided to give a US school a shot anyways. This long wait is painful!!

Kind of on that note dls116, what are peoples opinions about applying to two different vet schools? I only applied to WCVM this year, but they emailed me asking me if I applied to the OVC (I'm currently living in Ontario).. does it go against you if you apply to more than one school?

I think it really has a lot to do with claiming residency in one province or another. You can't apply to OVC (and therefore claim Ontario residency) and still apply to WCVM. That's probably why they're checking.

Kind of on that note dls116, what are peoples opinions about applying to two different vet schools? I only applied to WCVM this year, but they emailed me asking me if I applied to the OVC (I'm currently living in Ontario).. does it go against you if you apply to more than one school?
I think the issue here is you have to be a resident of one of the four western provinces to apply to WCVM, but a resident of Ontario to apply to OVC. If you're claiming Ontario residency to apply to OVC, you've made yourself ineligible for WCVM. At least that's what I understand!

But it could all depend on what each province asks for as a "residency requirement".

I think it really has a lot to do with claiming residency in one province or another. You can't claim to be an Ontario resident to apply to OVC, only to contradict that with WCVM and stating to be a resident of a western province. That's probably why they're checking.
BEAT ME TO IT! *shakes fist* :)

:laugh: we know our stuff then :)
I hope that Saskatchewan can't keep track of the number of hours I've creeped their site or they will NEVER let me in out of fear I'm some sort of crazy stalker. :smuggrin:

Thanks guys. I've gone through all the hoops to ensure I'm a Manitoba resident, I was just thinking about next year if I don't get into WCVM this year.

Sorry for the lack of response windyharlow. I changed my settings to notify me by e-mail when people post in the same forum as me. :) But I see you were in good hands!

Has anyone gotten any updates yet? Any sign of when interview invites will be sent? This waiting game is so frustrating haha

What is a closed file MMI vs. an open file traditional interview? I'm guessing open file traditional is when the interviewers have your application in front of them (but I was told they can't see your transcripts). What's MMI? I'm not familiar with the term..

Nope....sometime in March right? I wish I had a better idea of when....

MMI is multiple mini interviews. I know U of S does not use this method for vet med...thus far anyways. From what I know, it is a 3 person panel (with a "bad cop"/"good cop" combination) and a broad range of questions. I think it was discussed earler in this thread too.

From what I've heard, first round interviews take place starting towards the end of March and then second round interviews are after final marks from this semester are sent in (usually end of April into May) and then letters go out sometime mid-June. Definitely a long waiting game! :thumbdown:

Thanks! There are second round interviews for WCVM? I thought they basically interview everyone at about the same time. Is it for people who improve their marks in April?

See, until about last week I wasn't aware of the two rounds either. Talking to a recent graduate made me aware of this. I'm assuming individuals with high-er averages will get the first round interviews and then they wait to see everyone's final marks come April and continue interviewing after those marks have come in. I don't think NOT being in the first round of interviews puts you at any disadvantage seeing as once you're invited for an interview all marks are basically out the door and it is based on personality/experience/maturity etc. Perhaps they just split up interviews so they're not doing so many at once and that is the criteria for splitting it up? I'm not too sure...

At least I know not to totally freak out if I don't get contacted in March....?

I also went back and read the thread for WCVM c/o 2015 and they all seemed to be getting interviews in May.

Oh no, I thought waiting until March was gonna be hard!! Thanks for letting me know, this will ease a small portion of my head aches if I don't get contacted in March. I at least wanted an interview this year, even if I'm not accepted. My marks aren't amazing (mid-low 80's), but I really want that interview experience to improve for next year... I'm guessing with my grades that if I do get an interview at all, it will be second round :(

Don't worry, I'm probably in the same boat! Remember they take your overall average along with your best year average so perhaps that will help a bit. And I agree, I had it in my head that I would be finding out early March (which isn't far away anymore) but it may not be the case for me either!

Hopefully it is true that with "lower" averages you can still get in with other personal qualities and experiences. I'm a firm believer that marks don't mean everything! :laugh:

I hope so too! I feel like I do have a wealth of experience and I really want a chance to express that in an interview. I keep getting the impression that marks are what they look at first, though... So the people they choose to interview are the ones with the highest grades. Then after that, they assess their experience and other non-academic skills in an interview. A person with a 99% average with the bare minimum veterinary experience would probably be interviewed over someone with a low 80 but who has a ton of experience. I think they select people to interview based on grades and a small portion on the referees. Anyway, hopefully marks aren't absolutely everything!

Yeah, marks definitely get you to the interview but hopefully from there other qualities will outshine a few low grades on a transcript haha.

See, until about last week I wasn't aware of the two rounds either. Talking to a recent graduate made me aware of this. I'm assuming individuals with high-er averages will get the first round interviews and then they wait to see everyone's final marks come April and continue interviewing after those marks have come in. I don't think NOT being in the first round of interviews puts you at any disadvantage seeing as once you're invited for an interview all marks are basically out the door and it is based on personality/experience/maturity etc. Perhaps they just split up interviews so they're not doing so many at once and that is the criteria for splitting it up? I'm not too sure...

At least I know not to totally freak out if I don't get contacted in March....?

I also went back and read the thread for WCVM c/o 2015 and they all seemed to be getting interviews in May.
Yeah, they seemed to get interview offers in late March for May interviews - but keep in mind, their application deadline was January 1 versus December 1 for this round ... I'm hoping interview offers go out by next week so I can STOP FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS.

:scared:

But from what I have gathered there aren't always early interviews so it's nothing to freak out about one way or another. :)

Hey, thought I would chime in a bit. Basically, from talking to my classmates, sometimes they do two rounds of interviews, and sometimes they don't. In the year I applied, Alberta had two rounds of interviews, BC only had one, and I'm not sure about the other two provinces. I'm not sure how they decide which provinces get two rounds versus one round. Again, in the year I applied (this was also the year before they put in electronic applications), I was from Alberta, and was invited to the first round of interviews, which happened in April. The second round of interviews happened in late May to early June, and they sent out the letters in mid-June. For BC applicants which just had one round, their interviews were in late May to early June.

The interview definitely matters! Some of my classmates interviewed in the second round, which means they were in the bottom half grades-wise, and got in. Some classmates had a high GPA and bombed their interview, didn't get in, and had to try again the next year. It is a 3-person panel. The faculty member I talked to who does interviews insists there is no "bad cop", but anecdotally it sure seems like there is always a "bad cop". MMI is used at the Calgary vet school.

Braki, thanks for easing our minds a little! Having the info is a lot better than letting your imagination go wild. :)

I'm from Alberta as well. Did you also apply at UCVM?

Hey, thought I would chime in a bit. Basically, from talking to my classmates, sometimes they do two rounds of interviews, and sometimes they don't. In the year I applied, Alberta had two rounds of interviews, BC only had one, and I'm not sure about the other two provinces. I'm not sure how they decide which provinces get two rounds versus one round. Again, in the year I applied (this was also the year before they put in electronic applications), I was from Alberta, and was invited to the first round of interviews, which happened in April. The second round of interviews happened in late May to early June, and they sent out the letters in mid-June. For BC applicants which just had one round, their interviews were in late May to early June.

The interview definitely matters! Some of my classmates interviewed in the second round, which means they were in the bottom half grades-wise, and got in. Some classmates had a high GPA and bombed their interview, didn't get in, and had to try again the next year. It is a 3-person panel. The faculty member I talked to who does interviews insists there is no "bad cop", but anecdotally it sure seems like there is always a "bad cop". MMI is used at the Calgary vet school.

Thanks so much for that info Braki! I know this would change every year, but do you know what the interview GPA cut off was for BC vs Alberta in the past? On the website, it says that the averages range from 78-86, but I'm sure this varies a lot across the provinces. I know this would change from year to year, but I'm so curious whether I've got a shot at an interview and the wait is killllllling me :) . Thanks again for the previous info!!

I did apply to UCVM and I was accepted there as well, so if you have any questions about the UCVM application process I can try to answer those too. :)

The GPA cutoff in Alberta for the year I applied was around a 3.4. I seem to recall knowing someone who had a 3.3 and did not receive an interview from WCVM. I think in most years it is around a 3.4. I'm not sure what it is for other provinces, but I know Alberta and BC are more competitive when it comes to the grades cutoff for interviews. A 3.3 here is a B+, so the average is slightly above that. I'm not really sure how it converts to percentage grades, though.

Awesome! Where in Alberta are you from?

From what I understand, UCVM will be sending out interview invites in the next week or so. Can you tell me how they notified you? Snail mail or email?

What made you decide on WCVM? I still have no idea which I would go to if I was accepted to both.

Thanks! I really appreciate the info. :)

edit: Also, do you know if the grade cut-off is for cumulative or for prerequisite GPA?

Last edited:
Thanks so much Braki! Are those numbers referring to the straight up average, or the one that they calculate taking your year of highest GPA and counting it for more?

Even though I can't apply to Calgary, I'd also be interested in why you chose WCVM. I've been accepted to a couple schools internationally, and although WCVM is on the top of my list, I've been very impressed with other schools programs and their facilities. If I do get into WCVM, I want to make sure I'm making an educated decision :). Thanks again for all your help!!!

Btw Escalla: did you hear good news back from Wisconsin? I got the thin envelope of doom :(. I'm hoping you got a nice big fat envelope, and that the rest of your interviews went well!!

Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I have applied to UCVM this year, and I've heard through the rumour mill some people have recieved emails telling them if they were not selected for interviews. Has anybody recieved anything yet? Does anybody know how many interviews they are conducting this year? I heard through the grapevine that they lowered the number of people slightly from last year, but again, this was thirdhand information.

This process is hard on the nerves! :)

I was born and raised in Calgary, and did my undergrad degree in Zoology at the UofC. The interview invite from UCVM came via email on March 3rd for an interview on March 20. My acceptance letter also came via email on June 14, although I had received an acceptance phone call on June 12, and an acceptance phone call from WCVM on June 11. In previous years, WCVM did not call people; that year, they called Alberta residents because UCVM called people. I have no idea whether or not either school is still doing phone calls at this point. The numbers I posted for GPA are cumulative GPA numbers; however, Dr. Grahn has said in the past that they weigh your best year with a full course load more heavily than your cumulative GPA.

WCVM was initially my first choice because I am interested in small animal medicine, and at the time I was applying, UCVM was pushing a viewpoint of choosing UCVM for mixed animal/rural practice, and WCVM for small animal. I have found this to not really be true, by the way; WCVM gives you a very good mixed animal education. The courses do try to balance large and small animal content, but in the end there is a bit more information on the large animal side. The Animal Production series of courses is all about large animals, and a few courses, like Disease Ecology and Evidence-based Medicine, have a large animal bias. Radiology I'd say has a small animal bias. Overall, they do a very good job of keeping it balanced I think. What really won me over are the third year electives. When I interviewed at UCVM, I went to the tour afterwards and it was very impressive; I considered going there even though they mentioned that you were only allowed 50% of your fourth year rotations to be small animal rotations and that they don't have elective courses in third year. WCVM has electives in the second half of third year, and when I looked at the list of electives I was sold. I found it very appealing that I could take courses like SA Behaviour, SA Nutrition, SA Oncology, etc. that fit my interests, instead of just taking a set of core courses and learning extra things about large animals that I would not apply once I got out into practice. The vet I was working with also pushed me to go to WCVM because UCVM at the time was still so new and had not graduated anyone (but they will this year!), and the lack of a teaching hospital at UCVM.

Now that I have been here for a bit, I have also heard from faculty that the grads here receive very positive feedback when they go out to do internships or to practice. I guess the teaching structure here puts a lot of responsibility on the fourth year students and they make you do a lot that students at other colleges don't typically get to do, which prepares you more when you graduate. On the other hand, I am pretty sure UCVM gets way more hands-on stuff than we do, and they also get more education in communication.

Phew, that was a lot! Hope that stuff helps and it isn't too boring. :)

Btw Escalla: did you hear good news back from Wisconsin? I got the thin envelope of doom :(. I'm hoping you got a nice big fat envelope, and that the rest of your interviews went well!!

I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I too got the thin envelope of doom...:( Here's to hoping that we get an interview at WCVM!!! :luck::xf:

Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I have applied to UCVM this year, and I've heard through the rumour mill some people have recieved emails telling them if they were not selected for interviews. Has anybody recieved anything yet? Does anybody know how many interviews they are conducting this year? I heard through the grapevine that they lowered the number of people slightly from last year, but again, this was thirdhand information.

This process is hard on the nerves! :)

Eeeeeek!!!!! :scared: Time to start checking my email obsessively......

I was born and raised in Calgary, and did my undergrad degree in Zoology at the UofC. The interview invite from UCVM came via email on March 3rd for an interview on March 20. My acceptance letter also came via email on June 14, although I had received an acceptance phone call on June 12, and an acceptance phone call from WCVM on June 11. In previous years, WCVM did not call people; that year, they called Alberta residents because UCVM called people. I have no idea whether or not either school is still doing phone calls at this point. The numbers I posted for GPA are cumulative GPA numbers; however, Dr. Grahn has said in the past that they weigh your best year with a full course load more heavily than your cumulative GPA.

WCVM was initially my first choice because I am interested in small animal medicine, and at the time I was applying, UCVM was pushing a viewpoint of choosing UCVM for mixed animal/rural practice, and WCVM for small animal. I have found this to not really be true, by the way; WCVM gives you a very good mixed animal education. The courses do try to balance large and small animal content, but in the end there is a bit more information on the large animal side. The Animal Production series of courses is all about large animals, and a few courses, like Disease Ecology and Evidence-based Medicine, have a large animal bias. Radiology I'd say has a small animal bias. Overall, they do a very good job of keeping it balanced I think. What really won me over are the third year electives. When I interviewed at UCVM, I went to the tour afterwards and it was very impressive; I considered going there even though they mentioned that you were only allowed 50% of your fourth year rotations to be small animal rotations and that they don't have elective courses in third year. WCVM has electives in the second half of third year, and when I looked at the list of electives I was sold. I found it very appealing that I could take courses like SA Behaviour, SA Nutrition, SA Oncology, etc. that fit my interests, instead of just taking a set of core courses and learning extra things about large animals that I would not apply once I got out into practice. The vet I was working with also pushed me to go to WCVM because UCVM at the time was still so new and had not graduated anyone (but they will this year!), and the lack of a teaching hospital at UCVM.

Now that I have been here for a bit, I have also heard from faculty that the grads here receive very positive feedback when they go out to do internships or to practice. I guess the teaching structure here puts a lot of responsibility on the fourth year students and they make you do a lot that students at other colleges don't typically get to do, which prepares you more when you graduate. On the other hand, I am pretty sure UCVM gets way more hands-on stuff than we do, and they also get more education in communication.

Phew, that was a lot! Hope that stuff helps and it isn't too boring. :)

Wow, thanks so much Braki!!! That makes a lot of sense as to why you chose WCVM. I'm glad that you're really happy there! I'll probably sneak in some more questions when they come in to mind :D

Thanks sooooo much Braki! It's so nice to hear the info on schools and admission from someone who was in our shoes (and succeeded!) only a few years ago. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes on (especially if I get an interview! finger's crossed!!!), so I hope you won't mind the nagging :)

And welcome to the thread Derbynerd! I was a long time lurker too, but I'm so glad that I joined as everyone has been so supportive through this crazyyyyy admissions process! I hope you hear good news from UCVM soon :). Did you apply to WCVM as well?

And welcome to the thread Derbynerd! I was a long time lurker too, but I'm so glad that I joined as everyone has been so supportive through this crazyyyyy admissions process! I hope you hear good news from UCVM soon :). Did you apply to WCVM as well?

Thanks for the feedback on WCVM vs UCVM Braki!

Dr Sabes, I just applied to UCVM this year. Last year I applied to both, and WCVM made it pretty clear that I wasn't the kind of student they were interested in. I have a bit of a non-traditional history, and unfortunately haven't had a 5 course load for most of my undergrad due to illness early in my undergrad, and working 3 jobs to make ends meet more recently. Because of the illness, my first few years of university were very, very poor. My grades have improved drastically since, but my cumulative GPA is quite low as a result. Because of that, I think that I'm a much stronger candidate on paper for UCVM. If i don't make it in this cycle, I'd consider applying to WCVM again now that I have another strong year under my belt, but I'm honestly not holding my breath- based on all the information i've collected from other students, faculty, and Dr. Grahn, they just seem to want a different kind of student then what I am.

The way I see it, there are different kinds of people, and different kinds of vets. As such, there should also be different kinds of schools and different kinds of students :) I'll just find a school that is a better fit for me. If UCVM doesn't work out this year, I'm planning on trying abroad as well :)

Hey everyone,
I have been reading this for a while now and have also applied to WCVM and UCVM this year. Just thought I would post and see who got an interview for UCVM today. I got one for March 24th so I better start preparing! I feel very unprepared as of now. Does anyone know if Calgary asks questions on current events? Where would be a good place to read up on some of the issues that veterinarians are facing?