We all just got rejected from UMich.

Started by RPedigo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, it's good to know when I can expect (and I pretty much do), at the latest, a rejection from UMich next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"In addition there is a common personality problem in Ann Arbor. About 30% of the UM "family" is about as arrogant and narcissistic as any group of people you will ever meet. They will tell you with a straight face that UM is number 1 in every possible way"

I went to UM my freshman year undergrad...I totally agree with this lol. The wolverines, well most of em, are a'holes. They think they're sweet, but omg what I hate the most is the administration. Quite frankly I think some of those who go to UM will be the worst doctors you'll ever see in your life. It's all about #'s over there, they don't care about your personality. It's so stupid.

Exactly why I transferred out of that hell-hole.
 
Just glancing at those little applicant profile things for the people posting on this thread, seems like there are a lot of well qualified people with strong numbers and strong experiences. Which then makes me ask... What on earth did you write on your application??

I would guess that the content of your personal statement and/or secondary essays was the means by which you were selected out. Then again, maybe it was just a moody application reviewer? Hard to say. Better to just be confident in what you want for yourself.

My primary was fine, so maybe it was my secondary? At this point, I don't even care.
 
"In addition there is a common personality problem in Ann Arbor. About 30% of the UM "family" is about as arrogant and narcissistic as any group of people you will ever meet. They will tell you with a straight face that UM is number 1 in every possible way"

I went to UM my freshman year undergrad...I totally agree with this lol. The wolverines, well most of em, are a'holes. They think they're sweet, but omg what I hate the most is the administration. Quite frankly I think some of those who go to UM will be the worst doctors you'll ever see in your life. It's all about #'s over there, they don't care about your personality. It's so stupid.

Exactly why I transferred out of that hell-hole.

Just a reminder to all that this describes an experience of an undergrad, not a medical student. The medical school is a separate community, which is nurturing and caring. I can't speak of the undergrad because I had no real exposure to it as a medical student. Another reminder to all of you pre-meds out there to take all comments on this board with a grain of salt, to form your own personal opinion, and to be wary of generalizations. Of all the forums on StudentDoctor, the pre-med forum is the angriest and most impassioned - and, thus, probably the least accurate.
 
Whoa Sweet. MCAT is their number one criteria. That's on my list to apply early next year...

Hey pre-meds. I read this forum and understand that what Robert Ruiz said looks bad. To be honest, I'm not completely sure *why* he said that. I graduated from the UM med school in 2007 and served as one of the students on the Admissions Executive Committee while I was there. You all know this as the group that meets every few weeks to make the final decision of yes, no, and maybe.

Please trust that we evaluate applicants based on their entire package. There might be a formula as far as who gets invited for an automatic interview (and, please remember, plenty of applicants get an interview and get accepted that were not automatic invites), but there is NO, repeat NO, formula for who ultimately gets admitted. MCAT, GPA, etc do need to be strong... but it's more a matter of "are you good enough?" And, if we think you'd be good enough (which, in reality, is a large number of applicants) - we then look at other details. Clinical experience. Research. Community Service. The category of experiences you've gained is not as important as the leadership/excellence you've shown in those experiences. Other factors include such questions as: Are you unique? Will you add something significant to the medical school class? And, equally important, how did you perform in your interview? Are you personable? Did you appear to be thoughtful and kind?

Perhaps Robert Ruiz said that we look at things in the order of MCAT, GPA, etc, because those may be the first things we glance at... but once you've reached a certain bar, we rarely discuss it again. And, trust me, many applicants reach this vague, impossible to define bar. This whole process is so confusing to applicants simply because there IS no calculating formula. In the end, it's 12 or so physicians and students sitting around arguing about who we really want in our class. Subjective, yes. Frustrating, yes. But totally based on numbers alone? No way.
 
I heard Ruiz say that if the M-2 Class applied this year, none of them would get in.
 
"In addition there is a common personality problem in Ann Arbor. About 30% of the UM "family" is about as arrogant and narcissistic as any group of people you will ever meet. They will tell you with a straight face that UM is number 1 in every possible way"

I went to UM my freshman year undergrad...I totally agree with this lol. The wolverines, well most of em, are a'holes. They think they're sweet, but omg what I hate the most is the administration. Quite frankly I think some of those who go to UM will be the worst doctors you'll ever see in your life. It's all about #'s over there, they don't care about your personality. It's so stupid.

Exactly why I transferred out of that hell-hole.

I had the exact same experience as an undergrad, transferred out, and never looked back. I second this post wholeheartedly!
 
"In addition there is a common personality problem in Ann Arbor. About 30% of the UM "family" is about as arrogant and narcissistic as any group of people you will ever meet. They will tell you with a straight face that UM is number 1 in every possible way"

I went to UM my freshman year undergrad...I totally agree with this lol. The wolverines, well most of em, are a'holes. They think they're sweet, but omg what I hate the most is the administration. Quite frankly I think some of those who go to UM will be the worst doctors you'll ever see in your life. It's all about #'s over there, they don't care about your personality. It's so stupid.

Exactly why I transferred out of that hell-hole.

Whoah, I don't know who you were hanging around when you went to UMich but I think that your problem was probably had more to do with who you chose to hang out with rather than the school in general. Its a big school so you will of course find gunners and arogant people...but you will also find a lot of kind and genuine people too. That's the thing about a big school, you get what you look for. I look at a lot of my classmates (I'm an undergrad) and think about what fantastic doctors they are going to be. I have had so many classes where you go to the library the night before a big assignment is due and everyone is there working on it and totally helping each other out. I don't think there are many places where 15 people could work on a math assignment together and have total cooperation. And we do have a lot of pride in our school, but that isn't the same thing as arrogance. Sorry you had such a rough experience, but maybe the fact that you thought everyone was arrogant and narcissistic is the reason why they weren't so welcoming to you.
 
"In addition there is a common personality problem in Ann Arbor. About 30% of the UM "family" is about as arrogant and narcissistic as any group of people you will ever meet. They will tell you with a straight face that UM is number 1 in every possible way"

I went to UM my freshman year undergrad...I totally agree with this lol. The wolverines, well most of em, are a'holes. They think they're sweet, but omg what I hate the most is the administration. Quite frankly I think some of those who go to UM will be the worst doctors you'll ever see in your life. It's all about #'s over there, they don't care about your personality. It's so stupid.

Exactly why I transferred out of that hell-hole.

There are pompous students in every ivory tower school. Did you transfer to a similarly ranked academic institution? Because I doubt it's any different in an Ivy league/Cal/UCLA/Stanford etc.
 
There are pompous students in every ivory tower school. Did you transfer to a similarly ranked academic institution? Because I doubt it's any different in an Ivy league/Cal/UCLA/Stanford etc.

I transferred over to Michigan State, and absolutely loved it! People there were much more 'real' than those at UofM...there are definitely still the gunners, but at MSU they are by far the minority rather than the overwhelming majority. Usually it is the gunners that get put as the 'outcasts' rather than the average kid who likes to do their work and then have some fun!

Also, in response to the post about 'seeing what you search out', I know that realbeast and I are definitely not the only ones who feel this way. I DID find a couple people who are down to earth and fun people...and the funny thing is they all transferred out (well one just dropped out) about the same time I did. Maybe you just fit in with the atmosphere better- it is definitely not an atmosphere for everyone. I never once hung out in the library as an undergrad- maybe that is where the disconnect comes from. I realize that it might feel like we are bashing your undergrad, but we have lived through it, and I would suggest that people really feel out to see if a school fits in well with their personality and goals before they attend. That is one mistake I know I will never make again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I transferred over to Michigan State, and absolutely loved it! People there were much more 'real' than those at UofM...there are definitely still the gunners, but at MSU they are by far the minority rather than the overwhelming majority. Usually it is the gunners that get put as the 'outcasts' rather than the average kid who likes to do their work and then have some fun!

Perfectly understandable. I actually don't know much about the undergrad part of the school at all. Never been to the diag or anything. And honestly, we of course have a few of those same types of people in the med school as well. But everyone knows who they are, and they don't have many friends. What I find interesting is how among other top 20 schools we have a reputation of being one of the friendliest and happiest, while in state people think we're entitled and arrogant.
 
There are pompous students in every ivory tower school. Did you transfer to a similarly ranked academic institution? Because I doubt it's any different in an Ivy league/Cal/UCLA/Stanford etc.

Have you visited Palo Alto, Chapel Hill, Madison & Austin?
 
I have to be honest, I'm really surprised by the level of negativity on this particular thread. I am on the Texas thread where there are people that are basically in limbo at all the Texas schools (which are the only schools they applied to) and the level of animosity here is worse. Plus, what is the University of Michigan Medical School supposed to do about the problems of neighboring Detroit (besides providing staff for free clinics or something medically related)?

I've gotten my fair share of rejections too this year and I'm not happy about that. However, I don't see how it does anyone any good to be THIS negative about medical schools that various people on SDN will end up attending or have attended.

Obviously I'm not referring to everyone on this thread but if you don't like Michigan, just don't apply and don't worry about it. If you got rejected from Michigan, you obviously applied there for a reason so why hate on it now?

For the sake of clarity, I interviewed at Michigan and was put in the March Decision-Deferral group. I thought the medical school was great and Ann Arbor seems like a great town.
 
Dear Applicant:

The University of Michigan Medical School has now concluded our review process. We have now allocated all of our interview offers. We regret we were not able to invite you to campus for an interview. We will begin closing all remaining files this week and your status page will reflect this outcome in the coming days.

We wish you well in the application process and appreciate your consideration of Michigan.
--

Robert F. Ruiz
Director of Admissions
University of Michigan Medical School
ouch, dude!!! Sorry, but you have had so many great interviews already that I am sure you'll get into a top school.

Best of :luck:
 
I transferred to the University of Toledo which is where I live. Love it so much more.

I guess I came off a bit strong on my last post hahaha. It's just that I got the wrong vibe from UM. Maybe I was just unlucky, who knows.

Like every class, of course there are nice people and stuff...but everyone is just so damn competitive up there and it just seemed like none of em were laid back normal people. It was all about study study study study study and it drove me insane. People just get over the top insane as pre-meds.

If you're one of those kids in HS or w/e that hated that super overachieving girl or guy who always asked questions and went psychotic to get the A then I got something in common with you LOL

You can be premed and still have a personality.

Once again...I was probably really unlucky with my experience up there. But by the way, even though I hate UM undergrad, I'm sure the UM-Med is probably better. And no way in hell will I ever be rootin for the Buckeyes 🙂
 
michigan is a big enough school that it has everything from the artsy to the "i study every friday night" crowd. That being said maybe you just didnt find your clique here or some other factors your not mentioning.

Anyways, I attended a speech by Dr. Steve Gay, who is the Dean of Admissions at umich med school. He was an awesome guy, he seemed cool, laid back and honest. I quote, "I'll take the student with the 3.5 who was an athlete over the 4.0 who did nothing else but study" and continued, "Michigan doesn't have to accept only 4.0's and 40's to boast about their average MCAT or GPA because umich is already where those schools want to be" Later, a MS-3 student took questions and i did not getting a hint of arrogance at all, she was cool and explained that was Dr. Gay said was very true. "Being well rounded is what gets you an acceptance but numbers get you an interview" is the drift i got from the talks. Granted I have not been through this process yet, but hopefully this will help some

p.s. I don't know any of your app's, nor do I care. I posted this in response for some who bashed umich and i wanted to give some clarification.
 
Michigan Medical School is a great school. I think people are just carrying over their hate of the undergrad over...
 
I have to be honest, I'm really surprised by the level of negativity on this particular thread. I am on the Texas thread where there are people that are basically in limbo at all the Texas schools (which are the only schools they applied to) and the level of animosity here is worse. Plus, what is the University of Michigan Medical School supposed to do about the problems of neighboring Detroit (besides providing staff for free clinics or something medically related)?

I've gotten my fair share of rejections too this year and I'm not happy about that. However, I don't see how it does anyone any good to be THIS negative about medical schools that various people on SDN will end up attending or have attended.

Obviously I'm not referring to everyone on this thread but if you don't like Michigan, just don't apply and don't worry about it. If you got rejected from Michigan, you obviously applied there for a reason so why hate on it now?

For the sake of clarity, I interviewed at Michigan and was put in the March Decision-Deferral group. I thought the medical school was great and Ann Arbor seems like a great town.


I still like Michigan and will probably apply to do a residency there. I am just frustrated at the way the rejected people...in a general email that did not even have my name in it. After spending money for the application I should at least get a letter with my name on it. But other than that I love Ann Arbor and love the school!
 
Yes I am carrying my hate for Undergrad LOL...but as I said my opinions of the medical school are neutral
 
Probably more prestige. I had the numbers for an auto-invite but my undergraduate institution wasn't one of the ones "on the list" for the auto.
All the UCs are great schools! I don't know, I didn't apply to UMich 'cause I don't want to live in Midwest, but the fact that UMich considers UCR a "lower" tier school tells me that they are a bunch of supremely arrogant bastards 👎(
 
File Closed.

We cannot make an admissions offer to you this year, therefore, we are closing your file.






Very Nice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the UCs are great schools! I don't know, I didn't apply to UMich 'cause I don't want to live in Midwest, but the fact that UMich considers UCR a "lower" tier school tells me that they are a bunch of supremely arrogant bastards 👎(


are you saying Riverside is the same as Berkeley.....that one is not a higher tier than the other? cmon...