Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
We have no business in death...
Started by PharmDstudent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We have to make an agreement with our supplier of Pentobarb that we will not supply it to any government for the purpose of execution. They are in a country that strongly disagrees with the death penalty and we would proably no longer be able to buy it (and might but the supply in jepordy for others) if we were to do so.
I hate that this devisive topic makes it hard for us to get good drugs that we really need. I would love to have thiopental back.
Bullets are cheaper... just saying...
I hate that this devisive topic makes it hard for us to get good drugs that we really need. I would love to have thiopental back.
Bullets are cheaper... just saying...
Interesting... Since I just watched my pet get put out of its misery not very long ago, I would say that his injection was that proverbial "blessing", so I would pick lethal injection over a firing squad any day because bullets are not very peaceful - their use is typically associated with a struggle for power or control.We have to make an agreement with our supplier of Pentobarb that we will not supply it to any government for the purpose of execution. They are in a country that strongly disagrees with the death penalty and we would proably no longer be able to buy it (and might but the supply in jepordy for others) if we were to do so.
I hate that this devisive topic makes it hard for us to get good drugs that we really need. I would love to have thiopental back.
Bullets are cheaper... just saying...
While I would choose lethal injection over a firing squad, as pharmacists though, we are medicinal healers and therefore have no business in death.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good, State sanctioned blood lust is not appropriate in any setting
good, State sanctioned blood lust is not appropriate in any setting
Inflicting death is not the same as blood lust. Do you think PharmDstudent's vet was motivated by bloodlust?
Inflicting death is not the same as blood lust. Do you think PharmDstudent's vet was motivated by bloodlust?
Capital punishment is codified blood lust. I have no issues with compassionate use of these agents for end of life decisions (in animals or humans) but that's not what is being discussed
Not sure that this topic is going to go anywhere good... But I will throw my two cents in.
I find no moral objection to capital punishment. As long due process has been carried out, it is the logical end to our judical system in some cases. It is a strength of our constitutional system that this issue has remained in the hands of the state governments except where the federal governement has a direct issue (federal crime). In states where the majorty opinion is that it is unacceptable, it has been removed from the list of options. In states where it is viewed as the logical result of justice, it remains. As long as your state does not decide for my state, I have no issue with others stoping the practice.
What does concern me as a pharmacist is that we take such care to provide a peaceful, painless end to someone who most likely did not provide the same to their victim. This practice has put is in a position to cause issues for those who might need those drugs for therapeutic purposes (to extend their life). To that end, I suggest we end the use of these therapeutic agents for lethal injection all together. An alternative practice is another discussion entirely.
I find no moral objection to capital punishment. As long due process has been carried out, it is the logical end to our judical system in some cases. It is a strength of our constitutional system that this issue has remained in the hands of the state governments except where the federal governement has a direct issue (federal crime). In states where the majorty opinion is that it is unacceptable, it has been removed from the list of options. In states where it is viewed as the logical result of justice, it remains. As long as your state does not decide for my state, I have no issue with others stoping the practice.
What does concern me as a pharmacist is that we take such care to provide a peaceful, painless end to someone who most likely did not provide the same to their victim. This practice has put is in a position to cause issues for those who might need those drugs for therapeutic purposes (to extend their life). To that end, I suggest we end the use of these therapeutic agents for lethal injection all together. An alternative practice is another discussion entirely.
Well... I definitely understand where you're coming from. I guess it just depends on the intention of use, though. I'm not against euthanasia to prevent unnecessary suffering in animals, or humans for that matter, but I think capital punishment is not an appropriate medical use that pharmacists should have to use their talents to provide - it's out of our scope of practice, if you will. If a drug can be used in a variety of ways, including lethal injection, then I think the drug's own dynamics are being exploited - not the pharmacists.Not sure that this topic is going to go anywhere good...
I'm against the death penalty and want it abolished. I would not personally participate in the execution process in any way, but don't have a problem with pharmacists who feel comfortable doing so in states where it is legal. But, I do hope to see it abolished nationwide in my lifetime.
In theory, I agree with the death penalty as a form of punishment as a result of due process; however, as it is practiced in the US, it's a **** show and probably should just go away....if anything, because it's just expensive and keeps some lawyers employed usually at state-expense.
Locking someone up for life is probably a better punishment than putting someone out of their misery and becoming some sort of martyr. As social beings, depriving someone of human connections and having them think that they've been forgotten is (to me) the ultimate form of punishment.
Locking someone up for life is probably a better punishment than putting someone out of their misery and becoming some sort of martyr. As social beings, depriving someone of human connections and having them think that they've been forgotten is (to me) the ultimate form of punishment.
As far as the first paragraph goes, that's when exoneration becomes a form of vindication. Think about DNA and the people who have been set free because of wrongful convictions. And the second, awwwwww.In theory, I agree with the death penalty as a form of punishment as a result of due process; however, as it is practiced in the US, it's a **** show and probably should just go away....if anything, because it's just expensive and keeps some lawyers employed usually at state-expense.
Locking someone up for life is probably a better punishment than putting someone out of their misery and becoming some sort of martyr. As social beings, depriving someone of human connections and having them think that they've been forgotten is (to me) the ultimate form of punishment.
In theory, I agree with the death penalty as a form of punishment as a result of due process; however, as it is practiced in the US, it's a **** show and probably should just go away....if anything, because it's just expensive and keeps some lawyers employed usually at state-expense.
Locking someone up for life is probably a better punishment than putting someone out of their misery and becoming some sort of martyr. As social beings, depriving someone of human connections and having them think that they've been forgotten is (to me) the ultimate form of punishment.
Locking someone up for life is extremely expensive and a huge drain on the law abiding portion of the society. I have no problem with death sentence for criminals found guilty of capital crimes via due process. My question is why does it take 10+ years to carry out a sentence? Capital crimes should go to the top of the legal process and expedited through the appeals process. Drag it out for 10 years, now that's inhumane.
In term of how to carry out the sentence, I think lethal injection is probably the most human and painless way to do it, and gas chamber being the least. Firing squad is not a bad way, but I personally think that should be reserved for the military since it's often considered a more honorable way to go.
Last edited:
Great movie. "How to Die in Oregon". Definitely a tear-jerker at certain points.I think "Dying in Oregon" or something similarly titled is streaming on Netflix. You guys should check it out.
Also, I think we really need Sparda to chime in and put an end to this debate.
Wait! Let me get my shot glass...Great movie. "How to Die in Oregon". Definitely a tear-jerker at certain points.
Also, I think we really need Sparda to chime in and put an end to this debate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait! Let me get my shot glass...
Just got back from happy hour with my CEO and few other directors, all set here. 😛
Cheers!Just got back from happy hour with my CEO and few other directors, all set here. 😛
Locking someone up for life is extremely expensive and a huge drain on the law abiding portion of the society. .
In theory yes, but again in practice in the U.S., death penalty cases cost more. I think in CA it's +$93,000 per inmate per year, which is the reason why I'd rather see it straight up repealed at this point. We can't do anything right in this country! Hah.
And the second, awwwwww.
Hey...I like human contact.
...maybe a little too much 😍
Noted! I'll have to keep that in mind and call/write one of my family members more often, if and when it comes down to it...Hey...I like human contact.
...maybe a little too much 😍
In theory yes, but again in practice in the U.S., death penalty cases cost more. I think in CA it's +$93,000 per inmate per year, which is the reason why I'd rather see it straight up repealed at this point. We can't do anything right in this country! Hah.
If you let them sit around for 10+ years going trough every tricks in the law book, of course. Especially in cali, doesn't a cell sized room rent for $2500+ a month over there? 🙂 Either get it down under 3 or out source those years to China for cheap I say! Bwahaah.
Last edited:
Noted! I'll have to keep that in mind and call/write one of my family members more often, if and when it comes down to it...
You can be my prison pen pal when I inevitably get incarcerated for some pyramid scheme or something...and after I fail miserably at being my own legal counsel.
Ok. Cool! Save your first stamp for me! (but I hope that never really happens, of course) ... oh, and jeez! ... I have some rebels in my family who are tough cookies to crack...You can be my prison pen pal when I inevitably get incarcerated for some pyramid scheme or something...and after I fail miserably at being my own legal counsel.
The prisoners who would come back from punishment like that would be hella scary!If you let them sit around for 10+ years going trough every tricks in the law book, of course. Especially in cali, doesn't a cell sized room rent for $2500+ a month over there? 🙂 Either get it down under 3 or out source those years to China for cheap I say! Bwahaah.
If people weren't so messed up to begin with, rehabilitation would work wonders.Edited to add: Greed is getting the better of our society!
The prisoners who would come back from punishment like that would be hella scary!If people weren't so messed up to begin with, rehabilitation would work wonders.
Edited to add: Greed is getting the better of our society!
Hence we reserve capital punishment only for those who commit heinous crimes.
On a second thought, I would be ok abolishing capital punishment if we send those to life imprisonment... in china. Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Well, Chinese ones are 10x better.
Lower crime rate there is because it's that good.Hence we reserve capital punishment only for those who commit heinous crimes.
On a second thought, I would be ok abolishing capital punishment if we send those to life imprisonment... in china. Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Well, Chinese ones are 10x better.Lower crime rate there is because it's that good.
Two words: Jack Bauer.
I don't need to go to Turkey to find the best of the best ****holes. 😛 I believe you, though! Because there was this kid from China who was for adoption that I was absolutely in love with, and I would have do almost anything to make sure that he got out of his orphanage. I was really happy to know that he was getting a family whenever I inquired about him... he was characterized as being "obedient".Hence we reserve capital punishment only for those who commit heinous crimes.
On a second thought, I would be ok abolishing capital punishment if we send those to life imprisonment... in china. Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Well, Chinese ones are 10x better.Lower crime rate there is because it's that good.
death penalty costs more than life without parole.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
I think "Dying in Oregon" or something similarly titled is streaming on Netflix. You guys should check it out.
"How to Die in Oregon"? It's in my queue but I haven't seen it yet.
death penalty costs more than life without parole.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
The study cited for my state only analysed the cost of the trial, and did not include the cost of 50+ years of imprisionment or the cost of administering the death penality. Thus, it did not analyse the cost savings purported to be associated with the death penality.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great movie. "How to Die in Oregon". Definitely a tear-jerker at certain points.
Also, I think we really need Sparda to chime in and put an end to this debate.
If I owned a pharmacy and had the only supply of that drug in the state, I'd tell the government to **** off. I'm not against the death penalty but I'm not a fan of lethal injection. Guillotine all the way.
Thank god I have a beer in hand! That's swig-worthy! I don't even need to get my shot glasses out... LOLOLOLOLIf I owned a pharmacy and had the only supply of that drug in the state, I'd tell the government to **** off. I'm not against the death penalty but I'm not a fan of lethal injection. Guillotine all the way.
Thank god I have a beer in hand! That's swig-worthy! I don't even need to get my shot glasses out... LOLOLOLOL
Come on. Guillotine has to be one of the most humane ways of doing it. Quick and painless, messy though.
Well, it's probably a good way to extract adrenalin like cows produce when going to slaughter. You gotta love some adrenalin meat! (I would be scared out of my mind to get my head chopped off!)Come on. Guillotine has to be one of the most humane ways of doing it. Quick and painless, messy though.
It would be very, very messy...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 560