We should protest this pharmacy school scam too!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TianjinNVhai

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The job market is ruined by those money-hunger heartless pharmacy school deans. We all know that right? But how come all we can do is sit in front of computers and complain? Shouldn't we get together and protest this unfair scam? All least get our voices heard. Let those interested high-schoolers and undergrads hear the reality.
 
too busy working and traveling, and I got a subscription to the NYT cooking app so all my free time is spent learning how to cook stuff.

I’m gonna conquer making my own pasta next, it’s going to be epic.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ugh, why even bother? It is going to take 100x as long to prepare and won't be as good. Sorry, not sorry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh, why even bother? It is going to take 100x as long to prepare and won't be as good. Sorry, not sorry.

I like a good challenge, and I have the counter space to do it....plus it’s like flour, eggs, olive oil, and salt. Not like I’m experimenting on A5 Wagyu.

Been watching too many Gordon Ramsay instructional videos lately.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Ugh, why even bother? It is going to take 100x as long to prepare and won't be as good. Sorry, not sorry.
And if you spend a little bit more money you can buy the automatic pasta machine vs the pasta roller.

NYT cooking is great though, we are trying the fish tacos this weekend.
 
And if you spend a little bit more money you can buy the automatic pasta machine vs the pasta roller.

NYT cooking is great though, we are trying the fish tacos this weekend.

I’m stubborn, I’m gonna do it the old fashioned way...but the roller attachment to my stand mixer might be tempting when arms start to burn.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
You're about 10 years too late.
After Ketchum, KGI, WestCoast, Chapman, and Cali Health Care all opened up in the last 5 years, at this point,it's like what's the point? You can't force them to close down. Maybe market will dictate the future of pharmacy education or lack of "loan forgiveness" programs. But that's a long shot.
 
You're about 10 years too late.
After Ketchum, KGI, WestCoast, Chapman, and Cali Health Care all opened up in the last 5 years, at this point,it's like what's the point? You can't force them to close down. Maybe market will dictate the future of pharmacy education or lack of "loan forgiveness" programs. But that's a long shot.

dude off topic


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Nobody puts a gun and make you attend school. You do your own research and decide to attend pharmacy schools. Even though, they're scammers...it is you who let them trap inside empty promises....Too bad. There is no case here !
 
I like a good challenge, and I have the counter space to do it....plus it’s like flour, eggs, olive oil, and salt. Not like I’m experimenting on A5 Wagyu.

Been watching too many Gordon Ramsay instructional videos lately.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I mean if you are going to make something from scratch make it something worthwhile. How about some pizza crust? Or pound cake? Or anything that isn't pasta?

Making pasta is like...I can't compare it to anything actually. It would be like trying to "make" the rice or something.

Although as an alternative to going to the gym it probably makes sense. 👍
 
I’m stubborn, I’m gonna do it the old fashioned way...but the roller attachment to my stand mixer might be tempting when arms start to burn.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sure, it's a useful theoretical exercise, so enjoy the fruits of labor the one time you do it. Makes you appreciate KitchenAid so much more afterwards. Also, the flour and water you use is absolutely critical. Don't use bread flour and do follow the temperature instructions for the water.

I don't know, I still make our own ravioli (wontons) and we deeply enjoy custom fillings. I really care for shu-mai ("potstickers") and bao as well to be homemade as Din Tai Fung is not in my city yet.

This is this weekend's project:
 
Sure, it's a useful theoretical exercise, so enjoy the fruits of labor the one time you do it. Makes you appreciate KitchenAid so much more afterwards. Also, the flour and water you use is absolutely critical. Don't use bread flour and do follow the temperature instructions for the water.

I don't know, I still make our own ravioli (wontons) and we deeply enjoy custom fillings. I really care for shu-mai ("potstickers") and bao as well to be homemade as Din Tai Fung is not in my city yet.

This is this weekend's project:


Making your sauces from scratch is a game changer. They go from processed Kraft to a bunch of healthy oils, vegetables, and herbs. Make it so you can actually pile on some creamy ceaser dressing.
 
The job market is ruined by those money-hunger heartless pharmacy school deans. We all know that right? But how come all we can do is sit in front of computers and complain? Shouldn't we get together and protest this unfair scam? All least get our voices heard. Let those interested high-schoolers and undergrads hear the reality.[/QUOTE

From Pharmacy Week, for the first time ever since 1995 retail pharmacist salaries have dropped! I know those with jobs feel comfortable and don't feel they need to do anything about the declining pharmacist job market until they are replaced by a dispensing machine or COE at hospital pharmacies.
  • DETERMINANTS OF PAY – STAFF PHARMACISTS Years of total pharmacist experience is still the dominant driver for determining Staff Pharmacist’s pay.
  • BASE PAY TRENDS – PHARMACISTS Pay for the Healthcare Retail/Satellite Pharmacist has increased significantly over the last several years with a 23% increase from 2016 to 2018 and a 27.4% increase from 2015 to 2017. (However Regional Pharmacy Operations Director & Retail Staff Pharmacist have both dropped. This is the first drop recorded since we started the original survey back in 1995!)
    Median Hourly Pay

    $59.09 Pharmacist – Mail-order/PBM ($56.40 2016, $57.37 2017)
    $61.92 Clinical Pharmacist ($58.89 2016, $59.97 2017)
    $63.24 Pharmacist – Hospital ($59.91 2016, $60.51 2017)
    $60.95 Pharmacist – Retail ($60.80 2016, $61.35 2017)
    $81.13 Pharmacist – Healthcare Retail/Satellite ($65.52 2016, $76.47 2017)
 
I mean if you are going to make something from scratch make it something worthwhile. How about some pizza crust? Or pound cake? Or anything that isn't pasta?

Making pasta is like...I can't compare it to anything actually. It would be like trying to "make" the rice or something.

Although as an alternative to going to the gym it probably makes sense. 👍

Oh that’s on my list, too.

Tsk tsk you’re beginning to sound like that guy who can’t pay a student loan and save for retirement at the same time ::laughs::


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean if you are going to make something from scratch make it something worthwhile. How about some pizza crust? Or pound cake? Or anything that isn't pasta?

Making pasta is like...I can't compare it to anything actually. It would be like trying to "make" the rice or something.

Although as an alternative to going to the gym it probably makes sense. 👍
A good homemade pound cake is heavenly. Every time I've tried to make pizza at home from scratch it just never tastes as good as from a restaurant, though. I think it has something to do with the crust.
 
You're about 10 years too late.
After Ketchum, KGI, WestCoast, Chapman, and Cali Health Care all opened up in the last 5 years, at this point,it's like what's the point? You can't force them to close down. Maybe market will dictate the future of pharmacy education or lack of "loan forgiveness" programs. But that's a long shot.


With tuition of private school being $60-70k per year and growing, most graduates are now coming out with 250 to 300K+ in pharmacy school loans.

No need to protest. The market will work itself out in the long run.
 
With tuition of private school being $60-70k per year and growing, most graduates are now coming out with 250 to 300K+ in pharmacy school loans.

No need to protest. The market will work itself out in the long run.
My school is 30k per year, and it is private. 60-70k a year is insane. Counting my undergrad my loans should be less than 150k, much less if i get aggressive during school with repayment.
 
Breh.

I got an Anova and Searzall for Christmas.

Whol. Nuva. Level.

Dude anova sucks, it’s gigantic and doesn’t heat water as fast as the Joule (and it’s not waterproof...not that I’m insinuating that you’re clumsy).

I do have an order pending for anova nano, that thing was delayed like a year.

I’m like the sous vide master over here. Mid-rare ribeye cap is liiiiiiife.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
A good homemade pound cake is heavenly. Every time I've tried to make pizza at home from scratch it just never tastes as good as from a restaurant, though. I think it has something to do with the crust.
I think the higher heat of the pizza oven makes a big difference.
 
Dude anova sucks, it’s gigantic and doesn’t heat water as fast as the Joule (and it’s not waterproof...not that I’m insinuating that you’re clumsy).
I do have an order pending for anova nano, that thing was delayed like a year.
I’m like the sous vide master over here.Mid-rare ribeye cap is liiiiiiife.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I use one of those standard square 12qt containers and I cut an anova size hole in the blue lid.
Klutz proof.
If it woulda been me buying I certainly would've gotten the joule.

My current project is trying to recreate the "Salmon Butter" from a restaurant called Kuneho

Every time a trendy restaurant closes here I try to buy their Gucci Vollrath or Fusion machines that could sous vide a whole side of beef.
 
Last edited:
This is it
 

Attachments

  • 20180630_120817.jpg
    20180630_120817.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 194
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A tortilla press is one of the best investments you can make for your kitchen.
Yup.

Most restaurant supply stores will have good, solid metal ones for pretty cheap

Edit: I guess only if you live in an area with a large beanpulation
 
Last edited:
Yup.

Most restaurant supply stores will have good, solid metal ones for pretty cheap

Or you live in a place where all the Mexican food is worse than garbage because of Midwestern sensitivities (ah, you better not add any more of that black pepper...Might be a little too spicy...). I live in a place where a Scoville 0 salsa is often considered too spicy by members of the congregation, because of cilantro being a bit too exotic. I'm not necessarily a ghost pepper guy, but I do like good Nuevo Mundo spice and heat to those dishes.

I think next weekend, I'm flying to AZ or CA on a whim to have some decent Mexican food.
 
Or you live in a place where all the Mexican food is worse than garbage because of Midwestern sensitivities (ah, you better not add any more of that black pepper...Might be a little too spicy...). I live in a place where a Scoville 0 salsa is often considered too spicy by members of the congregation, because of cilantro being a bit too exotic. I'm not necessarily a ghost pepper guy, but I do like good Nuevo Mundo spice and heat to those dishes.

I think next weekend, I'm flying to AZ or CA on a whim to have some decent Mexican food.

Oh my goodness you are describing me to a tee. People tease me that salt is a bit too much spice for me.

What can I say, I like the taste of food, not spices!
 
Or you live in a place where all the Mexican food is worse than garbage because of Midwestern sensitivities (ah, you better not add any more of that black pepper...Might be a little too spicy...). I live in a place where a Scoville 0 salsa is often considered too spicy by members of the congregation, because of cilantro being a bit too exotic. I'm not necessarily a ghost pepper guy, but I do like good Nuevo Mundo spice and heat to those dishes.

I think next weekend, I'm flying to AZ or CA on a whim to have some decent Mexican food.

I shudder at the quality of Mexican food you suffer through up there if you think AZ and CA have decent Mexican food.
LOL.

If you're ever in central Texas, I'll have my mom make you some chiles rellenos en crema.

One of these days, I'm going to make it to Mexico City and eat at all of the places I've read about.
Pujol is #1 on my list.
 
Ironically enough, when my wife and I were still long distance we met in Prague once and had really good Mexican food.

I was drowning in amazing Czech beer and food, but she insisted on going to this place called Hombre Del Mundo.
 
Accepted applicants will just remain in denial. More of them are finally acknowledging that saturation has hit. Most of the denial is that they themselves won't be affected by saturation, e.g. that they are much smarter, hardworking, and charismatic than their competition and that employers will still choose them over others.
Stoich I have to say I enjoy reading nearly every post you bless us with. Some of your posts even read like gospel or poems. You keep it real and I am tempted to print out your posts and hang them on my wall. Imagine my surprise when i was on Reddit.com and saw a user with the trademark Stoich screenname sharing good information with potential pharm students. Please continue to fight the good fight.

I just want to say you are doing god's work and please keep up the good work.

-One of your biggest fans









(no homo)
 
Stoich I have to say I enjoy reading nearly every post you bless us with. Some of your posts even read like gospel or poems. You keep it real and I am tempted to print out your posts and hang them on my wall. Imagine my surprise when i was on Reddit.com and saw a user with the trademark Stoich screenname sharing good information with potential pharm students. Please continue to fight the good fight.

I just want to say you are doing god's work and please keep up the good work.
-One of your biggest fans
(no homo)

The best part is that he doesn't brag and he's not a lazy creature
 
The job market is ruined by those money-hunger heartless pharmacy school deans. We all know that right? But how come all we can do is sit in front of computers and complain? Shouldn't we get together and protest this unfair scam? All least get our voices heard. Let those interested high-schoolers and undergrads hear the reality.

The best way to protest is to hit them where it hurts: when they call/email asking for money, tell them they've already gotten enough
 
I shudder at the quality of Mexican food you suffer through up there if you think AZ and CA have decent Mexican food.
LOL.

If you're ever in central Texas, I'll have my mom make you some chiles rellenos en crema.

One of these days, I'm going to make it to Mexico City and eat at all of the places I've read about.
Pujol is #1 on my list.

Pujol is not overhyped, that restaurant combines classical and modern Mexican food with traditional technique in a way that it's worth going to Mexico City just for that (and to watch El Tri at the Azteca of course). Quintonil is also outstanding and has the best tasting menu.
 
Pujol is not overhyped, that restaurant combines classical and modern Mexican food with traditional technique in a way that it's worth going to Mexico City just for that (and to watch El Tri at the Azteca of course). Quintonil is also outstanding and has the best tasting menu.
My mouth literally waters at the thought
 
The job market is ruined by those money-hunger heartless pharmacy school deans. We all know that right? But how come all we can do is sit in front of computers and complain? Shouldn't we get together and protest this unfair scam? All least get our voices heard. Let those interested high-schoolers and undergrads hear the reality.

I agree. should we start a petition on moveon.org or something similar to that to make the reality heard?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
too busy working and traveling, and I got a subscription to the NYT cooking app so all my free time is spent learning how to cook stuff.

I’m gonna conquer making my own pasta next, it’s going to be epic.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh man, I love NYT Cooking. The food editor, Sam Sifton, is awesome too. I've emailed him a couple of times to ask him questions, and he always responds personally and promptly! Great sense of humor too.
 
Anyone try those plant based meat products yet? Like, Beyond Burger, etc...

I had it once, and Impossible Burger once, and it was pretty tasty.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Pharmacy school) now only requires a C- average for pre-reqs, and the PCAT is no longer required. Just when you think our profession couldn't roll downhill any faster. We're now closer to the speed of light than ever... so lets start protesting this? This is degrading our profession, while letting in the worst students possible just to fill seats.


https://www.uthsc.edu/pharmacy/prospective-students/admissions/options.php
"Admissions Requirements
  • Required hours: Complete 62 semester hours of required prerequisite coursework at a regionally-accredited university or college. Courses in the pre-pharmacy curriculum are not offered at the UT Health Science Center. If you have not completed all pre-requisite coursework you will submit a proposed plan for completion as part of the application process.
  • GPA: Achieve a grade of "C-" or better for each required pre-pharmacy course.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Students must obtain 3 letters of recommendation and submit those letters through the PharmCAS application.
  • Students must meet all technical standards for admission and retention which can be viewed in the Catalog.
  • PCAT: The PCAT exam is NOT required"