Weak gpa, asking for advice about the rest of my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highnoon

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to this site so bear with me. I'm just asking for some advice here. I want to know from others if I'm in over my head or if I have potential.

I'll be graduating in May with my bachelor's. I decided that I wanted to go to med school during my 2nd year, and I started off strong but so much has happened and long story short, my gpa has suffered tremendously and will no doubt be a deficiency of colossal proportions on any application.
I have transferred twice. at my current school I have:
Fall of 2018: 1 W in a science class replaced with a failing grade (D) in the Spring of 2019, replaced again with a C in the Fall of 2019.
Spring of 2018: 1 W in a science class replaced with an EU-- failed to complete the course (I didn't realized I couldn't drop it after the first few days of the start of the semester, had no idea I was still enrolled) in the Fall of 2019, replaced again with a C in the Spring of 2020.
Spring of 2020: 2 Ws replaced with As in the Fall of 2020.

During the summer of 2020, I finally got my life together again. I started going to therapy in the beginning of 2020, I learned that things I had been experiencing everyday for years were actually due to mental illness lol, and I was put on medication and worked everything out. My GPA went from a 2.89 (Spring of 2020) to a 3.5 (Summer of 2020). Last semester (Fall of 2020), my term GPA was 3.31, which brings my cGPA to a 2.92 for this school. Given that I keep doing well, I'll hopefully earn a 4.0 for this term and graduate with at least a 3.0.
For my previous schools, my cGPA was 3.5, 3.0, and I took a summer class at one point at a CC and got a B, so 3.0. So my overall cGPA is roughly projected to be around 3.125.

This is what the rest of my application looks like so far:
Shadowing experience: 0 hours-- I've found zero programs in my area and especially now due to covid.
Clinical experience: 1000+ hours, 9 month internship at an integrative chiropractic/medical office as a back office "MA" for the medical part of the practice (30-35 hours a week)
Community service: 157 hours, 105 hours as a mentor with Arizona Child and Adolescent Survivor Initiative (1 year); 52 hours as a tutor for children in underserving communities/in Title 1 schools that are performing below grade level with TeensGive (6 months)
Leadership: mentor and tutor positions listed above
Research: 100 hours as an assistant in a psych lab (4 months)

I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I plan on doing that later this year.
Also, I've just been hired as a medical scribe.

Now I've come to terms with the fact that I'm probably definitely not going to get into an MD school right after I graduate. I'm fine with being a nontraditional applicant. After I graduate, I'm taking a year or so off to really focus on my extracurriculars and save up at least a little bit of money, the usual. I think I'm going to start EMT classes soon so I can begin working as an EMT right when I graduate. I'll probably apply in 2022 or 2023.

I thought about going the SMP route because I'm confident in my abilities to do rigorous coursework, I just messed up my undergrad, and I really don't think I have a straight shot to an MD school.

What do you guys think? Should I just give up or do I actually have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a long road ahead of you if you want to be a doctor. Do not jump into an SMP. While you say you are confident in your ability to do well, your academic history does not bear that out. Keep in mind that an SMP isn’t like a rigorous term in undergrad - it’s a rigorous program designed to mirrror the first year of medical school where high flying students routinely struggle. Once in the SMP you can’t merely survive but have to excel.

read Goro’s guide for reinvention. Remember to take your time with this - med schools aren’t going anywhere.

It's a weird spot. I'd say take the MCAT and see how you perform. You might have a decent shot with a good enough MCAT, especially at DO programs. An SMP might have to be part of the plan. Refer to goro like ducky said.

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site so bear with me. I'm just asking for some advice here. I want to know from others if I'm in over my head or if I have potential.

I'll be graduating in May with my bachelor's. I decided that I wanted to go to med school during my 2nd year, and I started off strong but so much has happened and long story short, my gpa has suffered tremendously and will no doubt be a deficiency of colossal proportions on any application.
I have transferred twice. at my current school I have:
Fall of 2018: 1 W in a science class replaced with a failing grade (D) in the Spring of 2019, replaced again with a C in the Fall of 2019.
Spring of 2018: 1 W in a science class replaced with an EU-- failed to complete the course (I didn't realized I couldn't drop it after the first few days of the start of the semester, had no idea I was still enrolled) in the Fall of 2019, replaced again with a C in the Spring of 2020.
Spring of 2020: 2 Ws replaced with As in the Fall of 2020.

During the summer of 2020, I finally got my life together again. I started going to therapy in the beginning of 2020, I learned that things I had been experiencing everyday for years were actually due to mental illness lol, and I was put on medication and worked everything out. My GPA went from a 2.89 (Spring of 2020) to a 3.5 (Summer of 2020). Last semester (Fall of 2020), my term GPA was 3.31, which brings my cGPA to a 2.92 for this school. Given that I keep doing well, I'll hopefully earn a 4.0 for this term and graduate with at least a 3.0.
For my previous schools, my cGPA was 3.5, 3.0, and I took a summer class at one point at a CC and got a B, so 3.0. So my overall cGPA is roughly projected to be around 3.125.

This is what the rest of my application looks like so far:
Shadowing experience: 0 hours-- I've found zero programs in my area and especially now due to covid.
Clinical experience: 1000+ hours, 9 month internship at an integrative chiropractic/medical office as a back office "MA" for the medical part of the practice (30-35 hours a week)
Community service: 157 hours, 105 hours as a mentor with Arizona Child and Adolescent Survivor Initiative (1 year); 52 hours as a tutor for children in underserving communities/in Title 1 schools that are performing below grade level with TeensGive (6 months)
Leadership: mentor and tutor positions listed above
Research: 100 hours as an assistant in a psych lab (4 months)

I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I plan on doing that later this year.
Also, I've just been hired as a medical scribe.

Now I've come to terms with the fact that I'm probably definitely not going to get into an MD school right after I graduate. I'm fine with being a nontraditional applicant. After I graduate, I'm taking a year or so off to really focus on my extracurriculars and save up at least a little bit of money, the usual. I think I'm going to start EMT classes soon so I can begin working as an EMT right when I graduate. I'll probably apply in 2022 or 2023.

I thought about going the SMP route because I'm confident in my abilities to do rigorous coursework, I just messed up my undergrad, and I really don't think I have a straight shot to an MD school.

What do you guys think? Should I just give up or do I actually have a chance?
As a reinventor, you will need DO schools on your list.