Weak In Basics?? STUDY SECRETS!! TIPS!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_nandana

better 'HOT' than 'COLD'!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a lot of PMs asking me to start a thread on tips for those who r weak in basics. its a nice idea. i will start with some tips i had already mentioned in another thread. PRE-NBDE DOCS & POST-NBDE DOCS, DO SHARE SOME OF UR STUDY SECRETS WITH US!!

here r some tips for those who are weak in their basics.

1) when u start a topic...for eg: carbohydrates. u shd know a little abt them before u start the questions in the decks..but u neednt go deep. what i do is, i log on to the net, and do a 5 min scan on the topic...quickly jot down any imp info which i may forget..if i find the page very useful, i save it on my comp to view it later. then i read the decks. this helps me a lot.

2) CONNECT! this means..it doesnt matter if u r studying abt 'Blood' in Biochem or Anatomic sciences. try recollecting and connecting. think of the processes in the body as stories and each of our cells are characters in the story...we r learning abt their day-to-day activities.

3)form PICTURES in ur mind...for eg: think of Haemoglobin cells..holding hands and moving towards a huge room...(this is the LUNG!)..there is someone there to hand out oxygen packets..each Hb receives a packet...and as they move out of the room...someone decreases the oxygen pressure( u can picture this too!) ...and so the O2 is delivered successfully to the waiting tissues...then u can picture Hb sad as it is deoxygenated... :D

hey thats it for now..let me go back to studies...will be back with more tips when i take a break!

hope this helps any of u!

nandana

Members don't see this ad.

colgate said:
cool tips :)

thanks colgate..

hey guys..here r a few more...

- dont waste ur time studying in depth abt a particular topic...u can study deeply all u want after the exam. i go according to the specifications..if a topic is worth 28 questions...i study everything abt it..if not, i just scan the basics.

- i found reading Kaplan takes away most of my time. so i am sticking to internet browsing for topics i dont know. Kaplan is too detailed and is for those who have all the time in the world..definitely not for those who have 2 months for the exam.

- jotting notes is what i used to do when i started studying...now i feel it just takes up my time a lot...so i quit that..i revise quickly the day's topics at the end of the day..this way all that info thats crammed into my brain is instantly refreshed in my memory!

- i do a weekly revision. it takes time but its worth it coz if u dont..then u tend to take double the time to revise it after a gap...u may even have to learn everything from the beginning!

- never leave out the difficult portions for another day...u may never get to it later..make a habit of clearing ur doubts then and there.

- ASK QUESTIONS..AND ANSWER QUESTIONS...this is the only way ur brain is going to hold its head up high in confidence! when 'he' is confident...should i say anything abt your marks????????????? be it friends or be it ur husband or wife...doesnt matter if they r in a completely different field..make them give u tests and make them ask u questions...

- involve the person whom u love in ur studies! Cannot remember the name of a drug? try writing a prescription for ur loved one. u are more likely to remember that ..rather then trying to mug up the names of drugs!

- SAY YOU ARE STRONG AND THERE IS NOTHING U CAN'T DO...when u say that over and over again...u will automatically think...if i can do anything...whats the big deal with a simple NBDE exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this confidence alone is enuf to ace the exam!

hope u all enjoyed that...happy studying.. :thumbup:

nandana

Members don't see this ad :)
excellent tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pallavi rakesh

pallavi rakesh said:
excellent tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pallavi rakesh

thanks a bunch, pallavi.. :)

hey guys...i found out something new..

i thot Kaplan notes are too detailed...i used to freak out at the very thought of opening that book! but when i started studying micropath...i found that its really quite useful for some topics..the chapter 'bacteriological overview' is excellent to answer and understand some of the questions from the decks...

i guess we cannot leave out anything blindly...

thats my moral for today...

take care guys..

nandana

dr_nandana said:
thanks a bunch, pallavi.. :)

hey guys...i found out something new..

i thot Kaplan notes are too detailed...i used to freak out at the very thought of opening that book! but when i started studying micropath...i found that its really quite useful for some topics..the chapter 'bacteriological overview' is excellent to answer and understand some of the questions from the decks...

i guess we cannot leave out anything blindly...

thats my moral for today...

take care guys..

nandana

Exactly! :thumbup:

The more the info u stuff in your mind, higher the probability of getting the answers correct :cool:

But don't ever forget the KEY-REVISION :D :luck:

dentaldoc said:
Exactly! :thumbup:

The more the info u stuff in your mind, higher the probability of getting the answers correct :cool:

But don't ever forget the KEY-REVISION :D :luck:

how right u are
abt the SQ3R
it will take us afar
like a 3 under par...

cdnt help breaking into a little poetry there, dentaldoc... :laugh: i only wish studying was more like golf :D ...thanks a bunch for ur advice...

hey guys...here r some of the BEST sites i found...textbook era is gone guys...say hello to 'technology'.........

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/W/Welcome.html

just type in ur topic on the right hand side...and get the ready made notes!

http://www.bartleby.com/107/

gr8 for anatomy...its good if u have an atlas though...coz pictures r quite small.

happy studying!

nandana.

dr_nandana said:
how right u are
abt the SQ3R
it will take us afar
like a 3 under par...

nandana.

I am sorry Could add some explanation abt SQ3R & 3 under par!!!! :idea:

dentaldoc said:
I am sorry Could add some explanation abt SQ3R & 3 under par!!!! :idea:

hi dentaldoc...sorry u didnt get that...SQ3R is a study method - S & Q means Survery, Question and the 3 R means Read, Recall, Review.

SQ3R is a useful technique for fully absorbing written information. It helps you to create a good mental framework of a subject, into which you can fit facts correctly. It helps you to set study goals. By using SQ3R to actively read a study material, you can get the maximum benefit from your reading time.

if u want to know more abt this...go to www.mindtools.com ...its a great site.

'under par' refers to a term in Golf. 3 under par, 2 under par etc is the way scoring is done in golf.

nandana.

dr_nandana said:
hi dentaldoc...sorry u didnt get that...SQ3R is a study method - S & Q means Survery, Question and the 3 R means Read, Recall, Review.

SQ3R is a useful technique for fully absorbing written information. It helps you to create a good mental framework of a subject, into which you can fit facts correctly. It helps you to set study goals. By using SQ3R to actively read a study material, you can get the maximum benefit from your reading time.

if u want to know more abt this...go to www.mindtools.com ...its a great site.

'under par' refers to a term in Golf. 3 under par, 2 under par etc is the way scoring is done in golf.

nandana.

Gotcha :D ..thanks

no problem, dentaldoc!

so hows everyone doing... :eek: :eek: 2 more months to go.... :scared:

my gut feeling is not too good at the moment...so much for being optimistic all this while, eh.... oh well...atleast im being honest with myself....oh god...this exam is so important to me..

hope all of u out there r doing better than me...

good luck, fellas...

nandana.

i have a doubt folks.........i have question papers till 98. is that the latest which is released? where can i get the latest? :confused:

Hi nandana,

I think the 1998 is the latest according to the website.
There seems to be some other unofficial questions which are avaible to some people but not all. I think there are no answers avaible to any of those questions.
I do not have them either.
Anyone, if I am wrong, do let me know.

mib..

dr_nandana said:
i have a doubt folks.........i have question papers till 98. is that the latest which is released? where can i get the latest? :confused:

Nandana

may I ask which college are you from?Also have you taken your Part I?How much did you get?

If not taken,all the best.Am sur you will crack it.

gpg

all the best to all of u who are slogging it out!!!keep up the good work. :thumbup:

thanks cleo...we need all the luck we can get!!! :)

gpg said:
Nandana

may I ask which college are you from?Also have you taken your Part I?How much did you get?

If not taken,all the best.Am sur you will crack it.

gpg

i havent taken my part 1 gpg...plan to take it this Dec if everything goes well....i did my BDS in B'lore.

thanks a lot for ur wishes...hey by the way, ur tutorials (esp. mand movts) are excellent...really helped me..and im sure it has helped plenty of others too...thanks a bunch for that!

have u finished ur exam? or r u already in college??

nandana.