Wear a tie to class?

Started by fatty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fatty

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a point of curiousity:
What do the majority of dental students have to wear to class? I know third and fourth years probably will spend most of their time in scrubs, but what about first and second years? Are we going to have to wear a tie to school every day? I am sure this will vary from school to school, so any info would be helpful, but info about this for UMich, NYU, Pitt, Penn, BU would be helpful. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my wardrobe over the summer or not.
 
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fatty:
Just a point of curiousity:
What do the majority of dental students have to wear to class? I know third and fourth years probably will spend most of their time in scrubs, but what about first and second years? Are we going to have to wear a tie to school every day? I am sure this will vary from school to school, so any info would be helpful, but info about this for UMich, NYU, Pitt, Penn, BU would be helpful. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my wardrobe over the summer or not.
•

I know for a fact that UOP requires its students to wear casual business attires - shirts and slacks for men and shirt/blouse for women. Other schools might also have similar requirements.
 
I think Doggie is right about other schools too.

UoT's Dental school requires that students dress in a professional manner (no jeans and no t-shirts).

I'm pretty sure all the other dental schools feel the same way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on what I have seen on the interviews I went to, all schools require students to dress professionally (and yes, for some schools, that requires you wear a tie).
 
whoa, whoa.
from the interviews I went to, I saw the students were dressed up as slobs, just like in undergrad. which means jeans, t-shirts etc.
explain that.
 
For those who prefer the casual feel, many schools allow the students to wear scrubs in clinics. However, I believe unmanaged hair that caresses the faces of the patients, facial stubble with matching blood shot eyes, and two day build up of make up would all discouraged.