1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wear a tie to class?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by fatty, Mar 30, 2001.

1. fatty

fatty New Member

Just a point of curiousity:
    What do the majority of dental students have to wear to class? I know third and fourth years probably will spend most of their time in scrubs, but what about first and second years? Are we going to have to wear a tie to school every day? I am sure this will vary from school to school, so any info would be helpful, but info about this for UMich, NYU, Pitt, Penn, BU would be helpful. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my wardrobe over the summer or not.

2. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

I know for a fact that UOP requires its students to wear casual business attires - shirts and slacks for men and shirt/blouse for women. Other schools might also have similar requirements.

3. Dante60

Dante60 Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think Doggie is right about other schools too.

UoT's Dental school requires that students dress in a professional manner (no jeans and no t-shirts).

I'm pretty sure all the other dental schools feel the same way.

4. brwncaddy

brwncaddy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Based on what I have seen on the interviews I went to, all schools require students to dress professionally (and yes, for some schools, that requires you wear a tie).

5. whoa, whoa.
    from the interviews I went to, I saw the students were dressed up as slobs, just like in undergrad. which means jeans, t-shirts etc.
    explain that.

6. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

For those who prefer the casual feel, many schools allow the students to wear scrubs in clinics. However, I believe unmanaged hair that caresses the faces of the patients, facial stubble with matching blood shot eyes, and two day build up of make up would all discouraged.