Wear a tie to class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a point of curiousity:
What do the majority of dental students have to wear to class? I know third and fourth years probably will spend most of their time in scrubs, but what about first and second years? Are we going to have to wear a tie to school every day? I am sure this will vary from school to school, so any info would be helpful, but info about this for UMich, NYU, Pitt, Penn, BU would be helpful. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my wardrobe over the summer or not.

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fatty:
Just a point of curiousity:
What do the majority of dental students have to wear to class? I know third and fourth years probably will spend most of their time in scrubs, but what about first and second years? Are we going to have to wear a tie to school every day? I am sure this will vary from school to school, so any info would be helpful, but info about this for UMich, NYU, Pitt, Penn, BU would be helpful. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my wardrobe over the summer or not.

I know for a fact that UOP requires its students to wear casual business attires - shirts and slacks for men and shirt/blouse for women. Other schools might also have similar requirements.

I think Doggie is right about other schools too.

UoT's Dental school requires that students dress in a professional manner (no jeans and no t-shirts).

I'm pretty sure all the other dental schools feel the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I have seen on the interviews I went to, all schools require students to dress professionally (and yes, for some schools, that requires you wear a tie).

whoa, whoa.
from the interviews I went to, I saw the students were dressed up as slobs, just like in undergrad. which means jeans, t-shirts etc.
explain that.

For those who prefer the casual feel, many schools allow the students to wear scrubs in clinics. However, I believe unmanaged hair that caresses the faces of the patients, facial stubble with matching blood shot eyes, and two day build up of make up would all discouraged.