Weather and pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
curwx_600x405.jpg

So it's flooding again in the Big Easy. I had to wade through water just to get to class at 8:30am this morning. My shoes were full of water until I got home around 12pm and put on my non-dress code "flip-flops". Once I got home, I wanted to go run an errand. Well...I couldn't get out of my neighborhood through our one-way street, because the adjacent streets were flooded. Thankfully class was canceled so I got to take a nap. Now I'm just waiting to pick up some take-out :D.

I really love New Orleans. It's where I've wanted to study since I was a pre-med. While the city has its flaws, you can't help but love the culture. It's like no where else in the country.

Members don't see this ad.

curwx_600x405.jpg

So it's flooding again in the Big Easy. I had to wade through water just to get to class at 8:30am this morning. My shoes were full of water until I got home around 12pm and put on my non-dress code "flip-flops". Once I got home, I wanted to go run an errand. Well...I couldn't get out of my neighborhood through our one-way street, because the adjacent streets were flooded. Thankfully class was canceled so I got to take a nap. Now I'm just waiting to pick up some take-out :D.

I really love New Orleans. It's where I've wanted to study since I was a pre-med. While the city has its flaws, you can't help but love the culture. It's like no where else in the country.

Think there's a possibility we won't have school tomorrow? I didn't realize that school gets cancelled at Xavier because of the streets that flood on campus.

Think there's a possibility we won't have school tomorrow? I didn't realize that school gets cancelled at Xavier because of the streets that flood on campus.
I think we'll have class tomorrow. Since they have campus-wide text messaging and emails, I would check your email or phone before you decide to leave for class in case they cancel it. They've canceled class three times due to weather since I started pharmacy school. Usually, if there is enough lightning, the power will go out so they have to cancel class until further notice or for the entire day.

Make sure you park on higher ground when it rains a lot. You might want to buy a pair of rain boots too. Today, I saw three cars that were flooded within half a mile of campus. The canal that runs near campus was really full a few hours ago. It was only a foot from the top.

Members don't see this ad :)
The CEO of Walgreens came to talk to our P2 pharmacy class today. He was in town, because Walgreens is opening their 6,000th store in New Orleans a couple of miles from campus. He was with a few other people, a group of five from the company. When they came into our auditorium, they walked over wet, carpeted stairs to the front of the room. The carpet was wet, because the rain on Monday had actually flooded the auditorium because it's underground and below the street level. It's probably about 20 feet below sea level.

So... as I was sitting there, I watched the top dogs of Walgreens walk through wet carpet in their expensive suits and oxfords and a few of them sat on one of the aisles in front of me that had wet carpet. It was pretty humorous! As their shoes went down on the carpet, you could see the water come up about half an inch. As they walked on the stairs, the president of the university would tell them that the building's underground and that Monday's weather was bad, so that's why the carpet was wet.

One of them said, "Oh, I've never seen that before." I really wanted to say, "You know, I haven't seen it before either." :smuggrin: They kept acting like it was some unique, cultural-specific aspect of the university or city. The only thing that was intriguing was the fact that some parts of the carpet were shiny, because there was enough water to reflect the light. Although, I wouldn't call it an enlightenment or anything :p.

curwx_600x405.jpg

The king will take a s*** in your thread...

qrm5n5.gif

I feel your pain! We had 3 hurricanes my first semester of pharmacy school. Talk about hectic or schedule changed constantly and our tests were pushed back to the the point where we'd have tests for the same class within a week's time (with a month or so of material on each test). It was frustrating trying to study for two exams in the same class. Then I had to deal with no internet....it's hard to watch lectures online when you have no internet! We all got through it though, I was just glad I wasn't a 2PD that year, it wouldn't made life that much harder. Sometimes the weather just sucks! I couldn't imagine all the students in California stressed out right now with the fires. At least I knew the hurricanes were coming.

I feel your pain! We had 3 hurricanes my first semester of pharmacy school. Talk about hectic or schedule changed constantly and our tests were pushed back to the the point where we'd have tests for the same class within a week's time (with a month or so of material on each test). It was frustrating trying to study for two exams in the same class. Then I had to deal with no internet....it's hard to watch lectures online when you have no internet! We all got through it though, I was just glad I wasn't a 2PD that year, it wouldn't made life that much harder. Sometimes the weather just sucks! I couldn't imagine all the students in California stressed out right now with the fires. At least I knew the hurricanes were coming.

Yeah, that sucked. I was a 2PD that year.