1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Web sources of articles

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by docB, Apr 28, 2004.

1. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OK, let's say, hypothetically, you are an ER doc in the community. You have no academic access to materials (no medical library, no academic linked internet access). You're totally on your own. What's the best source for COMPLETE articles. Even if you have to pay.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like EM Practice. I've only read a couple so far, but the articles seem to be pretty good review articles on complaint based topics. ie, one month they'll do "evidence based review of chest pain," etc.

www.empractice.net

mike

4. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Two sources come to mind.

For general medicine "up-to-date" wins, hands down. It is a lit. review/standard of care service covering about every topic and drug known to man. They update each topic periodically to include the latest research. The coolest thing is that it is in a "see this, do this" format and then tells you why...
    Downside - it is expensive!
    www.uptodate.com

For EM and patient education, there is a great free resource, the National Center for Emergency Medicine Informatics. Their "medbot" (left hand column on the site) has a pretty good search engine. They also have a great "pill identifier" that allows you to type in the markings on a pill and it gives you the name. Works great for the old folks who put their 100 daily pills into one of those weekly dispensers, but don't remember the names of the drugs or their medical history. And you cant beat the price!
    Downside - The page itself is big (dial up is painful), and a bit cumbersome, but it is fun and complete where it needs to be...
    www.ncemi.org

Just my $0.02, BTW- I have no affiliations with either site except that I use both often.

- H

5. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't forget that you can deduct these subscriptions from your taxes since they are related to your "business" (provided you are self-employed, own your own practice, or work as an independent contractor).

You might can deduct it from your taxes if you are an employee. I'd check with your accountant first though.

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I use emedicine.com... for quick search hits... just go to google and type "emedicine and pulmonary embolism" and you can bypass the log-in screen.

I also frequent emedhome.com. It has a free "question of the day" as wel as online articles, pearls, and the always pleasing "job bank" to cheer up your day.

Q, DO

7. Andy Kahn

Andy Kahn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with all of the above. I use emedicine.com a lot b/c the info is well organized. The daily question from emedhome.com is a good way to pick up a few things here and there in my email. ncemi.org is a great place to do quiz questions.

I bookmarked a couple of others that I do not use as much as the previously mentioned sites (http://www.embbs.com/, http://www.mdchoice.com/em/index.asp).

-ak