website on hearing voices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, not new. There's a group of people who do not identify as schizophrenic despite having a history of auditory hallucinations. My understanding (as I heard about it several years ago) is that there may be a group who have AH without severe functional impairment. Or that's the idea.

AH does not equal schizophrenia. Not that DSM is the decisive text but I will agree that one symptom is not indicative of the disease.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.targetedindividuals.com/

You have not lived until you meet someone from the TI community.

Derided and not tolerated even in the consumer movement. Fascinating people but tragic even as they usually get on with life in what must be a very lonely existence. Although it appears the internet is enabling them to make connections of sorts with each other.

Intervoice and the TI community do not get on to say the least.

Last edited:
What is the connection between these websites?

TreeofSouls

I agree. Comedy and tragedy come together with TI.

GeniusofLove

They represent communities of people who reject traditional explanations for their experiences but rather oddly to some extent they regard psychiatry as an appropriate starting point for each other.

An anthropological approach rather than a categorical one might serve you better as you are looking at communities rather than individuals although Iranian politics are probably less opaque.

I wouldn't have thought that these communities would be aware of each other, let alone aware enough to have the opinion that the other is crazy. I have to say that the TI page is way creepier than the Hearing Voices page. Having never heard of either prior to this thread, I'm glad to know of their existence now.

How often do you run into someone who affiliates with the communities?

One of the best psychiatric nurses I ever met also went on to get credentials as a Licensed Therapist. She heard voices. She heard a man and a woman, and they would converse with each other and also with her. She had not a single other symptom of schizophrenia. She was a great mother and friend, and a wonderful employee. She did not announce this to everyone. But once you knew, you would sometimes notice that she seemed distracted while you were talking. I would ask, "Is their conversation more interesting?" Once she answered, "Well, yeah. Sort of. Can we talk later?"

Couldn't blame her. I'm boring.

One of the best psychiatric nurses I ever met also went on to get credentials as a Licensed Therapist. She heard voices. She heard a man and a woman, and they would converse with each other and also with her. She had not a single other symptom of schizophrenia. She was a great mother and friend, and a wonderful employee. She did not announce this to everyone. But once you knew, you would sometimes notice that she seemed distracted while you were talking. I would ask, "Is their conversation more interesting?" Once she answered, "Well, yeah. Sort of. Can we talk later?"

Couldn't blame her. I'm boring.

Now I have a well known attending who would argue that, considering a spectrum of illness, really this is schizophrenia but just a mild form. He'd offer her a trial of risperdal.

Noting the difference between severe impairment, and potential improvement in functioning from treatment despite some level of ongoing functioning in life. Starts to get into that gray area of level of functional impairment, a little like much of the ADHD debate, IMO.

Now I have a well known attending who would argue that, considering a spectrum of illness, really this is schizophrenia but just a mild form. He'd offer her a trial of risperdal.

I would disagree just because she seems to be highly functioning and in our screwed up system you have to diagnose to treat.

I wouldn't want to label this person as schizophrenic so I would tell her to stay away from psychiatry or get an antipsychotic in a manner that is not traceable.

I would disagree just because she seems to be highly functioning and in our screwed up system you have to diagnose to treat.

I wouldn't want to label this person as schizophrenic so I would tell her to stay away from psychiatry or get an antipsychotic in a manner that is not traceable.

Obviously she would not meet DSM criteria for schizophrenia. His perspective would be that presuming its genetic, she has a very mild form, mild enough that she can function in most regular life duties. But the question then becomes would she do better on a low dose antipsychotic.

This is out soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitless_(film)

Eddie Morra (Cooper) is an unemployed writer whose girlfriend Lindy (Cornish) breaks up with him. Eddie believes he has no future, but when a friend introduces him to the experimental drug NZT, Eddie becomes highly focused and highly confident. He is able to recall everything he has read, heard, or seen, and he uses the knowledge to become successful in the financial world.

NZT allround I say....

GofLove

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/10/AR2007011001399.html

DYOR is best advice I have no idea what the prevalence and incidence are and Nitemagi is correct.

Thanks for the article, Ibid. Fascinating subject. Considering we really don't have any idea whether schizophrenia is 1 disease or 20 different ones, these experiences point out these huge gray areas in our understanding. Where does a psychotic disorder start and a delusional disorder begin? (apologies for the rhetorical nature of that last statement)

Where does a psychotic disorder start and a delusional disorder begin?

The descent into insanity and back out is a journey that will pass that point twice.