Thyr0id

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
so I have my block week coming up and my first exam is the anatomy practical on Monday, 2 weeks from now. However I have a weddding I already rsvp for that is is on the Saturday before that anatomy practical. I've been studying extra since I knew in advance I was going. I feel confident about just about everything, even at this point in time 2 weeks out. However I just wanted to ask if it's a bad idea to go?

I plan to study all day the today before and Saturday morning /afternoon beforehand. Then obviously Sunday night and sleep in since my exam isn't until 1pm.

Any thoughts?

Aug 9, 2016
KCMO
Status
Medical Student
so I have my block week coming up and my first exam is the anatomy practical on Monday, 2 weeks from now. However I have a weddding I already rsvp for that is is on the Saturday before that anatomy practical. I've been studying extra since I knew in advance I was going. I feel confident about just about everything, even at this point in time 2 weeks out. However I just wanted to ask if it's a bad idea to go?

I plan to study all day the today before and Saturday morning /afternoon beforehand. Then obviously Sunday night and sleep in since my exam isn't until 1pm.

Any thoughts?
I mean only you can get a gauge of if you're prepared or not. Is the wedding for a close friend or family member or is it a wedding of someone you know? Need to prioritize what's more important and unless it's someone close to you I'd say don't go. Also, not to be a negative nelly, but with all of your problems adjusting to the grind that is medical school is it really a good idea to go do something non school related two days before an exam? Just my thoughts

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

Any thoughts?
While I believe that med students have to be somewhat selfish, if you think that you have a really good grasp on the material, then go for it.

Reactions: kovalchuk71
About the Ads

IsWhat

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Just bring flash cards with you and study at the wedding if you are worried. I have a good friend who did this all the time when he went out - which was a lot. He is now at a ROADS top 5 residency. I personally don't study well at events, so I tend to skip a lot of those things, but that absolutely doesn't need to be the case if you are someone who can multitask extremely well.

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I take a day off every week, if its one day, and you have been keeping up with your passes (i.e. 3+) I think you will be fine. Figure out how to download the audio from your lectures and relisten while you are driving.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you have a good grasp of the material and it's really only a few hours, go for it.

If you're struggling or if there's also lots of travel time, maybe skip it.

If you do go, I'd recommend DDing or keeping the drinking on the low side to prevent losing your Sunday to a hangover (if you're not a drinker or it's a dry wedding this is irrelevant)

OP
Thyr0id

Thyr0id

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys. I actually have been studying like a mad man for my anatomy exam on next Monday since I knew I wanted to go to the wedding.

I went into the lab last night and was able to identify pretty much everything. I've also been studying ahead for OMM stuff.
I believe that I'd be fine, and since it's only going to be a few hours Saturday night and I can still studying Saturday morning and afternoon, I'll just end up going.

Most likely will bring anatomy flash cards.

About the Ads