Wedding Registry Ideas for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, title says it all..

My fiancé is really freaking out about not having enough items on the wedding registry we have put together. Currently at about 30 items with an invite list of about 115 people. He says it's not enough. We live in a very small two room apartment, one bedroom, one living room, a kitchen, and a study. It's big enough for the two of us, but honestly, we have everything we need... I see all these other wedding registries with tons of furniture and large luxurious kitchen items - we are first year students in a tiny *** apartment for the next 7 years!

I'm just wondering what other medical students have gotten married while in school and what they received for their wedding registry, or thought were important? What have you gotten that you didn't know you needed? I'm roaming our whole apartment (Takes about 45 seconds) and I couldn't fathom fitting anything else anywhere.

We're doing the registry through Amazon, so, while a really nice new bookshelf is the ONLY thing I can think of, the only reasonably priced bookshelves on Amazon (~115-200$) are the "put it together yourself" kind of thing - and there's no way that the 30 lb limit on each shelf can carry all of our textbooks.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, title says it all..

My fiancé is really freaking out about not having enough items on the wedding registry we have put together. Currently at about 30 items with an invite list of about 115 people. He says it's not enough. We live in a very small two room apartment, one bedroom, one living room, a kitchen, and a study. It's big enough for the two of us, but honestly, we have everything we need... I see all these other wedding registries with tons of furniture and large luxurious kitchen items - we are first year students in a tiny *** apartment for the next 7 years!

I'm just wondering what other medical students have gotten married while in school and what they received for their wedding registry, or thought were important? What have you gotten that you didn't know you needed? I'm roaming our whole apartment (Takes about 45 seconds) and I couldn't fathom fitting anything else anywhere.

We're doing the registry through Amazon, so, while a really nice new bookshelf is the ONLY thing I can think of, the only reasonably priced bookshelves on Amazon (~115-200$) are the "put it together yourself" kind of thing - and there's no way that the 30 lb limit on each shelf can carry all of our textbooks.

Any ideas?

I just got some really nice Bose noise canceling headphones for my bday/Valentine's from my wife, mom and in-laws all together. They are incredibly useful but definitely not something I would spend my own money on at this point. May be something to consider.

Hmm, wedding gifts for med students.

Depends. Can you put SSRIs on a wedding registry?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The wife and I gift every couple with a portable steamer. It has saved us and friends on too many vacations to count. Most hotels come with a iron/ironing board, but some Air BnB’s don’t have that luxury. Anyways, here is the name on Amazon: Conair Extreme Steam Hand Held Fabric Steamer with Dual Heat; White / Blue (It cost like $38).

Here are some other items we love:

- As @cj_cregg said, an instant pot is the bomb.
- A good printer (We love our Brother printer, because the ink last forever).
- If you guys are TV people, I suggest the Roku Ultra. Here is why: It’s a great streaming device, but my wife is a night owl and I am the opposite. So, when I am trying to go to sleep, the remote has a headphone jack that she can plug headphones into. It mutes the television and she can listen to the TV without waking me up.
- The Alexa dots are lifesavers around our home. I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve been wrist deep in and needed further directions. Or when I don’t know the conversion between 1/4 cup -> x amount of tablespoons or ounces.
-Last but not least, my wife has a caddy thing that fits over our bath tub. It holds her book, phone, a glass of wine, etc. If she has a rough day, she breaks that thing out and she is very calm afterwards (it may be the wine :laugh:).

Anyways, that is all that I can think of that we have found useful over the years.

Wow I came to respond about my own experiences, but there are already a lot of good ideas on this thread!!

I got married at the end of first year. We didn’t have a registry. If people asked we said we were excited for anything they were inspired to give, but if otherwise uninspired we could use help with the honeymoon (aka $$). We received a handful of items but 90% gave us a card with cash or a check. Also some gift cards.

I know that’s a touchy topic for some— the idea of honeymoon contributions/$$ for wedding gift. But I think that’s mostly with older generations,

Reactions: 1 user
+1 for honeymoon contributions.

The absolute worst is going onto a wedding registry and the couple is asking for kitchen utensils. Never understood that.

Another idea that I'm really thinking about doing is having guests direct their money for potential gifts, to a charity we have chosen. That seems more productive to me than getting a drying rack for my kitchen from my old roommate lol.

+1 for honeymoon contributions.

The absolute worst is going onto a wedding registry and the couple is asking for kitchen utensils. Never understood that.

Another idea that I'm really thinking about doing is having guests direct their money for potential gifts, to a charity we have chosen. That seems more productive to me than getting a drying rack for my kitchen from my old roommate lol.

Majority of attendees will be family guests, well over the ae of 40. For that reason, they have more money than us and can feasibly buy nicer gifts. Also Amazon makes it easy to share the price burden of certain gifts online with other guests. We have the same ****ty silverware we've been using since we were freshman in college, a 20$ set from Marshall's, it is definitely time to upgrade!

Not married, but some stuff that has come in handy throughout med school, or stuff that's on my current wishlist lol:
- Nice blender for smoothies - quick/healthy breakfast
- Nice coffee/espresso machine if you guys are coffee drinkers
- Lots of tupperware for meal prep
- Quality pillows, mattress topper, bedding, etc.
- Room humidifier if you live in a cooler climate (makes those constant URIs during flu season much easier to tolerate lol)
- Instant Pot or crockpot
- If you have a patio/porch, some outdoor chairs and tables - I like to study at home and it's 1000x better outside when the weather is nice!
- Along the same vein, maybe upgrade your desk/chair if one of you studies at home?

Also, could you just request Amazon gift cards if you're out of "stuff" you need? Or gift cards for gas, groceries, etc.? And even if you guys are in a small apartment, would you want to upgrade your decor a bit - wall hangings, throw pillows/blankets, etc.? Do you have mismatched dishes or worn out pots/pans you'd want to replace?

These are amazing ideas! Thank you so much

Reactions: 1 user
The wife and I gift every couple with a portable steamer. It has saved us and friends on too many vacations to count. Most hotels come with a iron/ironing board, but some Air BnB’s don’t have that luxury. Anyways, here is the name on Amazon: Conair Extreme Steam Hand Held Fabric Steamer with Dual Heat; White / Blue (It cost like $38).

Here are some other items we love:

- As @cj_cregg said, an instant pot is the bomb.
- A good printer (We love our Brother printer, because the ink last forever).
- If you guys are TV people, I suggest the Roku Ultra. Here is why: It’s a great streaming device, but my wife is a night owl and I am the opposite. So, when I am trying to go to sleep, the remote has a headphone jack that she can plug headphones into. It mutes the television and she can listen to the TV without waking me up.
- The Alexa dots are lifesavers around our home. I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve been wrist deep in and needed further directions. Or when I don’t know the conversion between 1/4 cup -> x amount of tablespoons or ounces.
-Last but not least, my wife has a caddy thing that fits over our bath tub. It holds her book, phone, a glass of wine, etc. If she has a rough day, she breaks that thing out and she is very calm afterwards (it may be the wine :laugh:).

Anyways, that is all that I can think of that we have found useful over the years.

This is actually quite interesting, I'm definitely going to be looking into this!

I'll put up another vote for an instant pot. I love cooking and it makes it super fast to cook things.

I'd also put good desks, chairs, maybe an extra monitor for your computer with a mount to elevate it on your desk.
Good noise canceling headphones are great, I didn't realize how much I loved them until I got a set.

My wife and I also really enjoy board games when I have free time, you might look into putting some of those on your list. It also makes your place more entertaining when friends/family swing by (in your limited free time). Some of our favorites: Splendor, Settlers of Catan, Rook (a cheap card game), Resistance, and Dominion.

If you want are really struggling to find things, ask for gift cards to clothing stores. For me, I never feel like I have enough dress pants or shirts to get me between laundry days.

Gift cards to a movie theater or other recreational place would also be good. Money is tight and date nights that are prepaid are the best.