Weeds & Seeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baggywrinkle

cranky old fart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your respective schools, are any of you still required to take pharmacognosy or naturopathic medicine?

Also, are any of you exposed to homeopathy? This was a great gap in my own training. When questioned about homeopathic products such as Ziacam all I can do is smile and look blank.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my 2nd year of a 3 year program and I haven't had any pharmacognosy or any exposure to naturophathic/homeopathic medicines. I'm looking at my curriculum and I don't have anything like that to look forward to. We oughta at least have a seminar on popular homeopathic remedies. I've gotten my fair share of questions regarding Zicam, Humphrey's "3" teething tablets, etc from patients, and I don't have a thing to say about their efficacy and safety.

Yes, on both counts. However, pharmacognosy is removed from the curriculum now. We have an "alternative medicine" class that is a required part of the curriculum at Midwestern.

I've since learned that rubbing an egg on anyone cures their mal del ojo....Although we did do serious topics like medical quackery and what works and what doesn't based on evidence-based medicine.

Humphrey's is a catalog of products from 1-26, I believe. 3 happens to be the famous teething tabs.

BTW, HP is a valid pharmacopeia in terms of drugs along with the USP/NF.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I lived in Durango I wandered into a naturopathic herb dispensary and stepped into a pharmacy two hundred years ago
feeling totally inadequate. My school dropped it's dreaded pharmacognosy course two years before I was to take it in favor of a more clinical courseload. In retrospect I think this may have been a mistake on their part especially in view of what people want TODAY.

A naturopathic physician is a licensed health professional with a defined scope of practice and limited prescribiing rights in the state of Washington. I was just viewing the curriculum at
Bastyr University http://www.bastyr.edu/

Not too shabby. Looks like it would kick my butt.

It's offered as an elective at UF. It's probably one of the more useful electives to take along with geriatric pharmacy in Florida.

we have a naturopathy class here as an elective also. it seems really interesting and i hope i get a chance to take it. i've always been interested in that kinda stuff.