week before the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. What should you be doing 1 week before the mcat? Reviewing notes or doing practice tests? Also should you be studying the day before the MCAT? What should you do to keep your mind off the mcat the day before the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest taking a couple break days in the week heading up to your test. I'd put one in the middle or beginning of the week (depending on when your last break was) and also the day before your test. For the other days, throw in a practice test, maybe two if you have the time. Then, thoroughly review those tests and try to nail down the rest of your weaknesses. If you have some practice problems left, do them. Lastly, try to save some verbal passages for your last few workdays to stay fresh.

To keep your mind off the MCAT, well just have fun and don't touch your MCAT material.

I agree with most of what SN2ed said, especially taking the practice tests during the last week, although the last day is more of a preference thing. I used it to do a quick review of my notes so all the material was fresh in my mind. Personally, I don't see the need to relax the day before but if you're overly nervous, that might be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think days off are an absolute waste. But that's just me.

I think SN2 has a good balanced approach as usual.

Some people say take off the week, others say to work until the last day.

A good mix is probably heavy review of your notes you've made and a FL or two, and special review time on your weakest areas.

Here's my philosophy: I have studied the day before the exam for EVERY test I have ever taken in my life, and that is what I am used to, and it seems to work pretty well. Obviously I am not going to pull my normal 8+ hr study day the day before my MCAT, but I will reread all the notes I have done, and flip through all the books I have studied, draw out some ochem mechanisms again, just to bring everything back to the forefront of my mind.

More importantly, I do not take the day before my practice full lengths off, so I want my real deal MCAT to be the same feel.

Here's my philosophy: I have studied the day before the exam for EVERY test I have ever taken in my life, and that is what I am used to, and it seems to work pretty well. Obviously I am not going to pull my normal 8+ hr study day the day before my MCAT, but I will reread all the notes I have done, and flip through all the books I have studied, draw out some ochem mechanisms again, just to bring everything back to the forefront of my mind.

More importantly, I do not take the day before my practice full lengths off, so I want my real deal MCAT to be the same feel.

Everyone is different.

The difference between the MCAT and "every test you've taken in your life" is that in the 8 hrs you study the day before, you cover everything to bring it to the front of your mind.

You will likely not cover everything the day before the MCAT, so what you've covered in the preceeding week or two will be in the forefront of your mind. The strategy that is being advocated is the one done by some of the best MCAT takes, but again, everyone is different.

i plan on taking FLs every other day until test day.

but i just finished taking a FL and i noticed i was definitely glossing and not concentrating. i had time to spare after each section but instead of actively checking answers, i was really waiting for the timer to just run out so i could be done!