Weekend calls in the ICU suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nradsoit3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
off to a 30 hr call on a Saturday in the ICU...

[YOUTUBE]5bDDanNgcgY[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

:( While I'm not so sure what she's upset about, Saturday calls anywhere blow.

I was moonlighting this weekend (so making some extree dough) and had the worst call I've had in ages...never once saw the call room, 10 cases seemingly back to back, with ER consults wedged in between.

I am stupor tired today.

:( While I'm not so sure what she's upset about, Saturday calls anywhere blow.

I was moonlighting this weekend (so making some extree dough) and had the worst call I've had in ages...never once saw the call room, 10 cases seemingly back to back, with ER consults wedged in between.

I am stupor tired today.

Sorry to hear about your rough weekend...just out of curiosity, would you be comfortable sharing what you make an hour at that particular moonlighting job? Thanks.

To the OP (or anyone else): what movie is that YouTube clip taken from??

Saturday calls anywhere blow.

I am stupor tired today.

Our neurosurgeons at "the big house" don't have residents, and the guys we have are locked on - one guy trained at Duke a decade before me, and another (there's 5 total) is the local rep for the state medical board - squared away. Well, they take Friday morning to Sunday noon call on the weekends, and, on this past Friday night, it seems like every white and Hispanic guy that could get drunk and fall off his moped/get beaten with fist/stick/foot/have an MVC - and have a depressed skull fracture/epidural/subdural/SAH, did - and, add in the cauda equina syndrome I picked up (that two other hospitals missed/blew off). When I explained my clinical findings and the MRI, the NSx guy said "It would have to be HUGE" (the disc protrusion), and I said that "well, the rads guy did describe it as 'dramatic'!". He says, "I'll be in in an hour - I need a nap!" He sees me in the hall and actually shakes my hand - "Great call! Yeah, it is the largest I've seen since residency!" So that shook him out of his fatigue for a bit...but, boy howdy, I thank my stars that I didn't have the brains, heart, or hands for surgery or surgical subspecialties.

Sorry to hear about your rough weekend...just out of curiosity, would you be comfortable sharing what you make an hour at that particular moonlighting job? Thanks.

A measly $50/hr although on holidays or other days when they can't get coverage, they will pay more. I have made as much as $150/hr there.

I feared I was being underpaid so I posted a poll awhile back but most of the responses for in-house coverage seemed to average around $50/hr, so perhaps that's the going rate for resident/fellow coverage.

That woman looks like she just watched one of Michael Moore's "documentaries."

Or that she isn't getting any.

Good luck on your call (it's not bad luck to be wished well over electronic media). :thumbup: