Weekend work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravisB

Reaction score
Anyone worked with a DSO on Saturday to boost your income during military service? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone worked with a DSO on Saturday to boost your income during military service? Any recommendations?
I never worked on a Saturday while in Military Service other than Military events and training. But I worked after. Here are some possible scenarios. I'm not sure if the DSO will pay for your Malpractice Ins since you will not be working full time. Your Military supervisor may not like the idea since you are technically "US Gov't Property." DSOs can be very chaotic and dysfunctional, ie unreliable staffing, running out of instr, dental supplies, and malfunctioning equipment. Saturdays can be hit or miss with more scheduled misses thus making your production unpredictable. Depending on your speed and experience, the DSOs may overwhelm you like they did with me scheduling 12 patients in an hour ( most are followup and denture adjustments). Work out the Malpractice Ins. Don't pay for it and realize the Saturday opportunities won't work for you.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a policy governing off duty employment that says you need to be on leave to work private practice, essentially burning a vacation day even if it’s a holiday, weekend, day off, etc. It’s not often enforced but you have to have your side job sign off on an hours log so be careful. We only see the quality of life here going downhill fast so don’t think your command will have your back.

Some dentists moonlight but pretty much every oral surgeon will. Bunch of different opportunities. Anticipate having to buy your own malpractice but it’s not that expensive with a part time clause and if you’re paid 1099 then it’s a write off

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a policy governing off duty employment that says you need to be on leave to work private practice, essentially burning a vacation day even if it’s a holiday, weekend, day off, etc. It’s not often enforced but you have to have your side job sign off on an hours log so be careful. We only see the quality of life here going downhill fast so don’t think your command will have your back.

Some dentists moonlight but pretty much every oral surgeon will. Bunch of different opportunities. Anticipate having to buy your own malpractice but it’s not that expensive with a part time clause and if you’re paid 1099 then it’s a write off
So command will likely not allow moonlighting?

So command will likely not allow moonlighting?
100% depends on your command.

If things aren't going well with your mission, if your job demands are more than typical (7ish-5ish, M-F), or any other reason your commander could come up with, they will deny your request to participate in off duty employment.

If you have a commander that is okay with it and you are a good team member in your job, you can get approved to do off duty employment. Usually it will only be on Saturday, Sunday, or on days you take leave. Finding a job that will allow you to work there with your strict requirements is challenging. The employer has to agree to lots of stuff, and some may not be willing if they are unfamiliar with the military.

At my base over 20 yrs ago, we have reserve dentists serve 2 wks a yr and 1 weekend a month. We had a civilian Gov't Service reserve dentist who will come in at those times in uniform (and I noticed a few of my DS instructors were there too). It was nice since he works there and knows the ins and outs rather than showing up at an unfamiliar clinic with unfamiliar staff and equipment (or lack of). Although it may be comparing apples to oranges, you can discuss with your supervisor how the reserve dentists can do it and how you can become a more effective and efficient dentist.

how you can become a more effective and efficient dentist.
I'd say this is the biggest thing I gain from moonlighting. Sure, money. But the clinic I mainly work at has pushed my extraction and overall diagnosis skills far beyond what I do on a regular basis in my role as a general dentist in the military. Also it opened my eyes to running 3 columns plus hygiene checks as a solo doc. It's shown me I'm far more capable than what I've achieved so far. It's made me into a better dentist. If only all military leaders would see this side of the benefit.

A real world story that portrays what some have mentioned above:
The periodontist at our base was moonlighting on 2 Saturdays a month regularly over a 2 year time frame. He had all the paperwork and permissions in order. All the rules were being followed. One Saturday, the entire Med Group was called at 3 AM for a mandatory all call where we all were taken to a big hanger and made to sit all day 5am-7pm while every member of the med group was administered a urinalysis. We all sat there until everyone had gone. He missed an entire day of patients at his off base job, which you can imagine caused a whole bunch of issues.

My point, the military owns you even if you follow the rules. Moonlighting can be done effectively and I would argue that everyone should try it if they can. But it comes with its challenges too.

My friend spent $1500 to get a certain state’s dental license so he could moonlight. He asked the Command for permission to moonlight. They were so “efficient” at processing his request, he PCSed before they gave him a decision. I’m pretty sure he wished he had just kept his $1500…

Big Hoss

A real world story that portrays what some have mentioned above:
The periodontist at our base was moonlighting on 2 Saturdays a month regularly over a 2 year time frame. He had all the paperwork and permissions in order. All the rules were being followed. One Saturday, the entire Med Group was called at 3 AM for a mandatory all call where we all were taken to a big hanger and made to sit all day 5am-7pm while every member of the med group was administered a urinalysis. We all sat there until everyone had gone. He missed an entire day of patients at his off base job, which you can imagine caused a whole bunch of issues.

My point, the military owns you even if you follow the rules. Moonlighting can be done effectively and I would argue that everyone should try it if they can. But it comes with its challenges too.
3 AM? What the hell lol?

3 AM? What the hell lol?
When they do stuff like this, they go for dramatic. Middle of the night so that word doesn't spread before they can gather everyone/get accountability. That way the people who are going to pop positive don't find a way to skip it (not answer their phone and not be at home so people can't find them). They were driving to peoples houses/dorms rounding up the people who weren't answering their phones. Some people showed up directly from a club they had all been partying at the night before. The bathrooms were out of paper towels and handsoap by 10 AM. It was a **** show. In this instance, word was that they suspected someone within the MDG was running some sort of drug operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When they do stuff like this, they go for dramatic. Middle of the night so that word doesn't spread before they can gather everyone/get accountability. That way the people who are going to pop positive don't find a way to skip it (not answer their phone and not be at home some people can't find them).

In this instance, word was that they suspected someone within the MDG was running some sort of drug operation.

Oh Yeah!
My medical unit had one of those mobilization drills, except they had us load onto a big cargo plane and waited. It looked like we were going to BFE for real! It scared the stuffing out of a lot of people.