Weighing my options: Ochem in a single summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a second year student at UChicago. I need to take Ochem over the summer, and I was hoping to take the whole thing in a year. Due to financial constraints (and also being on the quarter system) my best bet is sounding like Harvard or UCLA.

Which will be easier? Which has the better program? Any other advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently a second year student at UChicago. I need to take Ochem over the summer, and I was hoping to take the whole thing in a year. Due to financial constraints (and also being on the quarter system) my best bet is sounding like Harvard or UCLA.

Which will be easier? Which has the better program? Any other advice is much appreciated.

You go to UChicago, but somehow it'll be cheaper for you to take summer classes at Harvard or UCLA?

It doesn't matter where you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be able to live in/near Cambridge/Los Angeles for free? If not, what universities are near the place you would be living in the summer?

Dont do it over the summer. Im telling you its the worst decision you will ever make.

Dont do it over the summer. Im telling you its the worst decision you will ever make.

Why not? I was able to do Ochem I w/ lab and Bio 1 w/lab over the summer after freshmen year just fine and made As in both. It just takes time management.

Definitiely do not take it over the summer. 1.) Some ADCOMS may consider it peculiar that you opted to take it without any other courses concurrently. 2.) Much more difficult to learn and regurgitate for the MCAT. I'm telling you, take it during the year, even if it requires additional college time.

Definitiely do not take it over the summer. 1.) Some ADCOMS may consider it a cop out. 2.) Much more difficult to learn and regurgitate for the MCAT. I'm telling you, take it during the year, even if it requires additional college time.

I completely agree with this. OP, I almost took it last summer but I read all the warnings here on SDN and I decided to take it during the year. Let me tell you, the information really needs time to soak in for you to fully grasp the concepts. I really think it would be something you would end up regretting if you didn't allow yourself the time of a full school year to learn it.

Why not? I was able to do Ochem I w/ lab and Bio 1 w/lab over the summer after freshmen year just fine and made As in both. It just takes time management.

Depends on what you are good at, what ECs you are doing, if you are studying for the mcat, who you live with, it takes a lot of time and it depends on the professor.