Weighing the pros and cons of which path to pursue...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had tons of views on this but no one in the ortho surgery forum has responded. So, maybe one of my fellow non-trads here will have some input...

I currently work as an athletic trainer for a hospital, working with the high school kids. I enjoy being around them, seeing how much an influence we adults can have on their lives. Yet, I still have an interest in pursuing medicine, likely orthopedics(maybe pediatric) or family medicine with a sports medicine specialty. How involved can a physician of either type be with showing up at the school, attending practices and games, etc? It's pretty important that my presence is felt with the community I serve, anywhere from talking to the kids, parents, coaches to even hanging out with them as they do their therapy and such. I have a passion for learning, especially with all the areas of medicine, but can't see myself being in the clinic only all the time. I feel that I will always be an athletic trainer at heart even as a physician because of my love for sports. I suppose my next question is how much time would said physician have outside of the practice to pursue personal interests as well as having a family life? I'm a non-trad with about a year's left to finish my pre-reqs, so this questions come to mind as I am about to make a decision on a path and stick with it. I'm 29 and currently single, btw.

Gracias

Members don't see this ad.

I think you definitely can do this. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon who had tons of hockey team pics all over his office wall. Apparently he also is the team physician for a natl. hockey team.

...I still have an interest in pursuing medicine, likely orthopedics(maybe pediatric) or family medicine with a sports medicine specialty...

Have you considered becoming a "Physiatrist" (not a typo). Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is a relatively new specialty that may utilize your background and give you the lifestyle you desire. As the name implies, it deals with injuries and rehab beyond sports injuries. I'm not sure if it'll 'float your boat', but check it out if you haven't already.

Best of luck! :luck:

Had tons of views on this but no one in the ortho surgery forum has responded. So, maybe one of my fellow non-trads here will have some input...

I currently work as an athletic trainer for a hospital, working with the high school kids. I enjoy being around them, seeing how much an influence we adults can have on their lives. Yet, I still have an interest in pursuing medicine, likely orthopedics(maybe pediatric) or family medicine with a sports medicine specialty. How involved can a physician of either type be with showing up at the school, attending practices and games, etc? It's pretty important that my presence is felt with the community I serve, anywhere from talking to the kids, parents, coaches to even hanging out with them as they do their therapy and such. I have a passion for learning, especially with all the areas of medicine, but can't see myself being in the clinic only all the time. I feel that I will always be an athletic trainer at heart even as a physician because of my love for sports. I suppose my next question is how much time would said physician have outside of the practice to pursue personal interests as well as having a family life? I'm a non-trad with about a year's left to finish my pre-reqs, so this questions come to mind as I am about to make a decision on a path and stick with it. I'm 29 and currently single, btw.

Gracias

I know it's extremely competitive, but you should check out the Ortho residency at Mayo in Rochester. As an Ortho resident you are assigned to a high school or junior college for all the athletes and sports at the school. I'm sure other Ortho residencies may have a similar assignment. Most likely, one of those programs would show you how to get in the door for what you want to do. I'm a sports nut and am considering ortho along with general surgery and internal medicine. I understand your passion towards it for sure. Good luck.