Weight issues when interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, them Indians are quite the entrepeneurs. If you're interested, there was a story on the whole cigarette thing on 60 Minutes a few months ago.

When the tax level hits a critical upper value (i.e., perhaps $3 tax has no effect but a $6 tax shows a sharp decrease), there is most definitely a net effect. I'll tell you one thing -- increasing cigarette taxes won't *increase* the number of smokers.

I could care less if the primary goal of the cigarette tax was to cover the budget shortfalls, so long as the secondary goal is worthy -- and encouraging people to quit a habit that is killing them and costing our health care system billions is certainly worthy.

PS - You take the point of view that taxes 'punish' smokers... I believe it's us helping them help themselves.

Originally posted by daisygirl

All right since I am anal, I have to reply :) ...

The Indians are keeping up with technology; the Indians sell their product on the internet and that is where people are buying their cigarettes. People don't have to drive ;) . I don't believe that you will really see a net effect- people will (as many have) change their supplier to get what they want.

I care what politicians do since I am an active participant in our democracy. I am also not a big fan of punishing a minority group (ie. smokers) via taxes in order to fill a budget gap that is, in part, due to the fiscal abuse perpertated (sp?) by those very same politicians.

Members don't see this ad.