Weird feeling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pojman

Level 99 Alchemist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I have been studying organic chemistry for about 11 hours today with very little to no breaks. When I stand up and walk around, it feels like I am in an alternate universe. Kinda distant, like I am disconnected from reality.

I wonder if it is all the dark soda I have been drinking today.. Does anyone else feel like they are in the twilight zone after several hours of studying? I am just trying to figure out if I have a medical condition or something, because this seems to happen regularly.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup, that happens to me. in my experience, its better to just take a break, do something else and start again fresh the next day. and that feeling youre getting is basically a combination of low blood pressure (from sitting for too long and getting up too quickly) and being cooped in your orgo bubble. also, if youre feeling a lot of stress all the time, you could be suffering from a panic attack which sometimes causes derealization (that disconnect from reality). just take some time to relax and i promise it'll work out better in the end

Fixed.

Work on time management or seek tutoring? There's no good reason to be "studying" any subject for 11 hours a day. Unless the subject is sleep of course.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't study orgo 11 hours every day. I have a big test on Wednesday, and I cleared my day to study for it. No need to get all sassy :p

I actually manage my time very well, between 2 kids, work, full time school, wife, etc. I find that I have to block my time like that now and then.

So... I have been studying organic chemistry for about 11 hours today with very little to no breaks. When I stand up and walk around, it feels like I am in an alternate universe. Kinda distant, like I am disconnected from reality.

I wonder if it is all the dark soda I have been drinking today.. Does anyone else feel like they are in the twilight zone after several hours of studying? I am just trying to figure out if I have a medical condition or something, because this seems to happen regularly.

Take a nap :sleep:

take a run! or walk! push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups -- all will help to improve cerebral blood flow. it sounds like your brain needs oxygen and more nutrients.

Last edited:
ochem 11 hours really? I don't think I studied that long for any class. They say its better to study in burst. like review for 30 - 60 minutes, take a break. Then come back to it. ect. Half of ochem is where to slap the water/ halo on, and where to take or add the hydrogen lol

Personally I love ochem, and work as a assistant researcher in a ochem lab. I'm one of those people that kicked ass in ochem with barely studying, but suck at physics lol

I have a kid and family to, so no sympathy point from me jk =)

OP, I think the best advice (take a break, exercise / take a walk) has been given... Just figured I'd show some solidarity. I worked a full-time day job and took O Chem twice a week, then a biology class on Saturdays (I think it was Micro). Sundays were O Chem lecture day - although I did study it some other times too, that was the best uninterrupted time. The couch became my home for the day, and I thought it would never end... until it did. ;) Hang in there.

take ochem with an ochem lab, it helps you absorb more info, or get an internship in academic ochem lab

Also helps you absorb more crazy chemicals. Amirite? :p :laugh:

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Ya, you know you are absorbing large amount of chemical when your TLC strip turn black under UV after you wave it around the room. It is also scary when you see someone leave a bottle of chloroform un-capped out in the open. Students need to take lab more seriously.