weird "injury" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've had a cough for about two weeks, and it's getting better but it's still there. (I didn't take medicine for it until after it had been there for a week). But I woke up on Thursday, and it feels like my right hand serratus anterior region is REALLY really sore. Now it hurts to cough, I can't do back extensions without really sharp pain, and forget the bench presses. Is pulling that muscle or some kind of bruising normal from coughing, or should I get this checked out? I doubt there's anything anyone can do about it really.

Members don't see this ad.

now i know it's pretty sketchy giving any kind of medical advice on these boards, but being a student at an osteopathic school, i though i'd give you my take on it.

it sounds like you may have simple rib dysfunction, or a muscle that's in a state of hypertonic spasm from all the coughing. hard to tell though without actually seeing you. the good news is that either of the above are easily fixed, if you can find a DO around. or if you're a real trooper, track down a good book on osteopathic techniques and have a friend try one out...the ones to treat what it sounds like you have are very easy to perform, and quite benign. you'll also have almost immediate relief. with no treatment, things will probably subside w/in a week or so. pop a few tylenol for the pain.

hope you feel better soon!

Scott-MSII
PCOM

Watch out, Leorl! The osteopaths in the UK are different from US osteopaths. I don't exactly what the differences are, but you should check if you are planning on using them.

A nice hot pack should help, and it feels quite nice (especially on a day with cold drizzly rain!). Hope you feel better soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had that exact same problem a few weeks ago (it must be something in the air ;) ). And it went away on it's own. My prescription: Advil, heat pack, warm tea, and rest (easier said than done), but it will help. Trust me.

The title of this thread reminds me of the broken pubic bone episode in the lounge. But then I realized it was leorl, who would never post something so boorish.