Weird interview at home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BostonBrunette

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I just gotta vent. . .today I was really weirded out by an interview at my home program (by the PD). Like, he just basically started asking me what places I interviewed at and what I thought of them. After I stupidly divulged which ones, I stupidly went on to say what i thought the pros and cons of some of em were (at his prodding) and stupidly mentioned the ones that I did 2nd looks at. Then even more weird, he went on to ask whether I had heard any gossip from other fellow med students on the interview trail about the good bad and ugly on other programs. At least I finally came to my senses and said I didn't.

I shoulda just said right of the bat I didn't think these questions were appropriate, but on the other hand, I figured he knew which programs I applied to since he's my advisor.

Maybe this application process is starting to make me paranoid, but I just hope the things I said wont be used in unmentionable ways out of context against me. Sometimes I can be too naive about things I divulge, until I realize the possible ways they can be used against me.

I left that interview feeling a little "feeled up" if u know what i mean. . . :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't sweat it. I had a very similar experience during my interviews at my home program. I think it boils down to the fact that they already know you so the interview is just a chance to chat. I mean aside from something wildly inappropriate, I don't think there is much you could say that would change their opinion of you.

I had 4 interviews at my home program and only 1 of the 4 even half heartedly pretended like it was a real interview. One asked me where else I was going to interview and gave me names of his friends there that I might meet. Another spent the 20 minutes just B.S.'ing about the entire process.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Before going on interviews, I had the opportunity to ask a couple of residency directors (not in anesthesiology) how to respond to the "Where else are you applying?" question. The answer is simply that you should respond truthfully. They ask because some of them think it gives them an idea of what you're looking for in a residency and whether your needs fit their culture.

For mostly local residency programs where the residents are not interested in research or academics, a safe answer would be, "I'm applying to programs around Anytown(s), since I want to stay in this (these) area(s)."

For high-powered research departments, I told them truthfully what were the other programs I was looking at, and if they asked me to name them, I did. I've been told, secondhand, that it's not uncommon for people to also say, "I'm applying to top programs in specialty/location/whatever." I answered the question honestly because I figured they should know I'm looking at many other programs that are very similar to theirs.

The underlying question is just, "What are you looking for in a residency program?"

BostonBrunette said:
I'm sorry I just gotta vent. . .today I was really weirded out by an interview at my home program (by the PD). Like, he just basically started asking me what places I interviewed at and what I thought of them. After I stupidly divulged which ones, I stupidly went on to say what i thought the pros and cons of some of em were (at his prodding) and stupidly mentioned the ones that I did 2nd looks at. Then even more weird, he went on to ask whether I had heard any gossip from other fellow med students on the interview trail about the good bad and ugly on other programs. At least I finally came to my senses and said I didn't.

I shoulda just said right of the bat I didn't think these questions were appropriate, but on the other hand, I figured he knew which programs I applied to since he's my advisor.

Maybe this application process is starting to make me paranoid, but I just hope the things I said wont be used in unmentionable ways out of context against me. Sometimes I can be too naive about things I divulge, until I realize the possible ways they can be used against me.

I left that interview feeling a little "feeled up" if u know what i mean. . . :rolleyes:
yes, i agree that these are weird questions. atleast you got asked these ONLY at your home program. What's weirder, is when you are at interviews at OTHER school and you get asked what programs you applied to.

Obviously, that kind of questioning is illegal, BUT if you answer back like "oh that's inappropriate to ask" then you look like a a$$. It's almost a double edged sword. Programs knwo better than that, but they still ask. Some say they do it to size up their competition, others say that they do it so that they know that you arent just an applicant that isnt really wanted. Who knows what the real reason they ask these q's is.

LOL....hey if they ask you this type of question (which si illegal), friggin jsut lie to them and tell them programs that in actuality you didnt get interviews at! :laugh: :laugh: