Weird interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medready

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on a interview today and after the common questions of "why internal medicine, why this program, blah blah blah, I was asked if I have any "red flags In my application" I would like to clarify. I was under the assumption that programs screen and review applications prior to sending out interview invites. I've been on a few interviews and it was the first time a question like that was asked of me. Has anyone else been asked similar type question and how did you answer it?

Members don't see this ad.

interviewer probably didn't read your application before meeting with you....happened to me multiple times...probably asked you that quesiton to give you a chance to explain yourself if you did have "red flags".

Had a similar question like that but not exactly "red flags",...answered by saying was a mild weakness in application which I learned from and improved the next time around (FYI was talking about a mediocore performance in a clerkship at the beginning of the year, but learned from what I did wrong and improved drastically in subsequent clerkships).

I was on a interview today and after the common questions of "why internal medicine, why this program, blah blah blah, I was asked if I have any "red flags In my application" I would like to clarify. I was under the assumption that programs screen and review applications prior to sending out interview invites. I've been on a few interviews and it was the first time a question like that was asked of me. Has anyone else been asked similar type question and how did you answer it?

They did not read your application, and they are a bad/awkward interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
A common interview questions is "Can you identify a weakness or difficulty that you had during your training and what did you do to overcome it?" or something like that. That'd make more sense than asking "What red flags do you have?" which is an inappropriate question to be asked and only tells how sloppy of a job the interviewer did in reviewing your application (probably didn't even read it).