weird problem - i need your help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diazfordork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, it's so embarrassing to admit but i have a slight problem - my parents think i applied for the fall 2007 application but i never finished any of them. i told them PharmCAS would give me a status of my admission and that it would send to my e-mail. And now should be the time i would be getting the mail that tells me i'm denied - i want to print it out so i can show them i didnt get in. So I'm asking this pre-Pharmacy forum to just copy and paste me their rejection letters so I'd have something to go by when showing them my rejection letters.
I know it's a weird thing to ask, and you can even private message them to me if you dont want them posted. But anything right now would really save me from their wrath...so thanks for looking, and please help out if you can.
Thank you so much for your time!!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmmm
i didnt apply so i have no rejectiong letter. y dont u make one up your self?? on word the uni or pharmcas logo and write it out...if u ask someone else wouldnt that show that persons name on it not yours?

or tell them u had some stuff missing that u didnt know abt ...and pharmcas didnt even send application to anyof the schoolss.....lol
im just giving u ideas to fool your parents ..how sad .:laugh:

Why not tell them the truth? There must be a reason you didn't finish your applications. Whether it's 1. your dog ate your personal statement or 2. you didn't really want to go to pharmacy school in the first place, it's better to be honest than to become trapped in a web of lies. Your parents may be disappointed to learn the truth, but can you imagine what they'd think/feel if they found out you lied to them?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't handle something like this...i hope I would never have you as my pharmacist.

HAHAHA, my rejection letter was from a non PharmCAS school. You are awesome sir! I pity your parents though.

Do us all a favor: delete your user name and never post again. Have a great day slacker!

if you need a rejection letter, i'm your man. I've been rejected by so many schools that it hurts. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only thing funnier would have been if you asked for an acceptance letter so that you could show your parents that you got in. Then in september you could go live in mexico with your parent money. I can almost hear you singing "Bring me two Pina Colada's I'll take one for each hand..."

Why would your parents want to see the rejection letters? Did you take the money they gave you for application fees and spent it elsewhere? I think it would be easier to tell them that you didn't apply than to fake it.

Remember what the nice one armed park ranger said... "Don't feed the trolls!"

:D

Sadly, this reminds me of the movie "Accepted". But instead of faking an acceptance letter you want to fake a denial letter. Too funny.

I know it may be stressful telling your parents. but i think it would be in your best interest now and in the long run to just be honest with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm 21 years old and i started out my freshman year in college when i was 16. i'm graduating this month with a chemistry major and math minor and my gpa is above a 3.5.

i didnt want to go straight into pharmacy school after i graduated because i wanted a whole year to volunteer and work on my application before i'd apply. i wanted a little break from stressing over grades and jumping straight into pharmacy school might burn me out.

and the reason this has to do with my parents is because they're both conservative asians - they're really strict! they would never understand my wanting to take some time away from school after accomplishing so much, and i didnt want to waste their money (i said i paid for it on my own, i have a job) on application fees just knowing i didnt want to go to pharm school so soon. they obsess over my grades, they memorize my classes, they practically set my schedule... sometimes it gets ridiculous. they stress me out, and i'd rather hear them complain about me getting rejected than have them freak out i didn't apply.

i didn't waste any body's money (it's why i didn't apply), my gpa is great, i love working in the pharmacy, i have great relations with my pharmacists and coworkers... i'm not slacking, i just want some time off.

...except now, you lied to your parents for the last 6 months...to asians parents, that's almost like a stab in the back...I know, i'm asian too. I rather give them pricks and tell them straight up. You should too.

I actually can relate. But being conversative Asian parents, I think they would be more embarrased, or "lose face" if you got rejected. No mattter how strict and "crazy" they are, they would rather that you didn't want to apply, than being rejected. Do you still live with your parents? If you still do, I think it's best that you moved out. And if you've already moved out, then I don't have any other advices to give you.

This gets my vote for the most bizzare thread award. This has to be a joke, right?

I like it, it is funny when people turn to the internet to justify their cheating and lying and hope maybe someone else will tell them its okay. Stand up to your parents or at least tell the truth, if you can not follow through on one of those options then your "accomplishments" do not mean **** and change career path.

You know - I heard about that last night - and I just couldn't believe it - Dont lie to yourself, and certainly do not lie to anyone else. I think just about everyone here agrees - tell your parents straight what is going on with you. Lying will just hurt them, and you, in the future.

Take the time you need, and get back into the game.

Lies beget lies - its a circle that never ends. So dont start.

~above~

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to decieve!

-Sir Walter Scott

^Thought that was a fitting quote. Anyway...

I understand that you don't want to let your parents down (or make them angry or even dishonor them) but you made the decision not to apply in the first place. You lied to them initially when you led them to believe that you were going through the application cycle and now you're forced to create a bigger lie to cover the original one up. Where do you draw the line?

I agree with everyone else: act like an adult and tell them the truth. True, it may be hard (and you may even suffer unusually harsh consequences for your actions, although things rarely turn out as bad as we think they will) but you need to take responsibility for your own actions. If you don't think you can face your folks alone, do you have a level-headed friend or family member that can sit down with the three of you and act as a mediator? I would suggest that you come clean with them ASAP - the longer that you wait, the harder it will be for you to regain their trust.

Good luck.

Would somebody please shoot this thread out of it's existence?

i'm 21 years old and i started out my freshman year in college when i was 16. i'm graduating this month with a chemistry major and math minor and my gpa is above a 3.5.

i didnt want to go straight into pharmacy school after i graduated because i wanted a whole year to volunteer and work on my application before i'd apply. i wanted a little break from stressing over grades and jumping straight into pharmacy school might burn me out.

and the reason this has to do with my parents is because they're both conservative asians - they're really strict! they would never understand my wanting to take some time away from school after accomplishing so much, and i didnt want to waste their money (i said i paid for it on my own, i have a job) on application fees just knowing i didnt want to go to pharm school so soon. they obsess over my grades, they memorize my classes, they practically set my schedule... sometimes it gets ridiculous. they stress me out, and i'd rather hear them complain about me getting rejected than have them freak out i didn't apply.

i didn't waste any body's money (it's why i didn't apply), my gpa is great, i love working in the pharmacy, i have great relations with my pharmacists and coworkers... i'm not slacking, i just want some time off.

oh my goodness. I didn't realize they were Asian. Ok ok that changes everything. I wish I have rejection letters to send to you, but I don't. Sorry about that and enjoy the rest of your year off! :) Have fun man.

Even I can't think of anything funny to say in this thread.

As a parent, the hurt of having a child lie to you is much greater than being disappointed in a decision they have made. To have your child lie to you tells you that they (the child) don't respect you enough or have faith in you that you care and love them first and foremost. You think that you have it "bad" because you don't want to admit to your lies, but it will only get a million times worse. Trust me the parents already know that something is up!! The longer you wait to tell the truth the more pain you cause for your self and your parents. If you want your parent to treat you like a responsible adult, act like you. I have a saying above our front door (inside) and hope that myself and kids live up to it: "Return with Honor".

Make the right choice and find your honor to show your parent that you honor them.

delete

Last edited:
You could take it another direction. You could just tell your parents to stop intruding on your life. When I turned 18 I ceased telling my parents anything about school because it wasn't any of their business.

My parents are asian too and super strict, especially my dad. And ofcourse he really wants me to go for pharmacy (including myself). During the wait for pharmacy school after applying, he kept asking me literally everday if I receive any letter, and kept asking me about things related to the application process, and how I am going to deal with it if I don't get in. Anyways, I think my dad is nice and he cares for me so much. But at that time it was nothing but ANNOYING! So I told him straight up (and I don't usually tell him anything straight up, thats the way i was raised!) that I feel very pressured when he asked me, that I'm afraid to disapoint him more than myself. My dad was silent for awhile and after that, he was so much better. He was supportive but never put that kind of pressure like before on me ever again. And I really appreciate him doing that. Sometimes, we don't know until we talk to our parents. Being raised in Asian culture, I know its hard for you to talk to parents openly, just like me and others, But I tried and it worked!

sepuku time!

HAHAHAHA

And fatevsdestiny, it's great that your dad supports you and doesn't pressure you anymore. However, not all asian parents are as understanding. My dad on the other hand always makes me feel like I'm a failure and has never supported me. Then again, being waitlisted almost everywhere doesn't help in my defense. If I don't get off the waitlist for the University of Washington, even if Creighton takes me off of theirs, he'll never let me forget it and give me hell for life.

If I don't get off the waitlist for the University of Washington, even if Creighton takes me off of theirs, he'll never let me forget it and give me hell for life.

Man, y'all's culture is nutso. If I didn't get accepted to pharmacy school, my parents would have shrugged, said "yeah, at'll happen", then continued watching TV.

OK, Diaz. I think you know absolutely what you need for yourself. I support you in your decision to take a year off from school, volunteer, work on your applications, etc. Maybe you should party some in there too, so you can get that out of your system. I do believe that you should be honest to your parents with your feelings and I am sure that they will see things your way. You seem to have your head in the right place, but it is hard with overbearing parents. Good luck to you, and hope to see you in the Class of 2012!! :) --hope I'm there too!!

Diaz,

I come from a strict Asian upbringing also and what I have realized is that our parents pride themselves on the success of their children, which is why so much pressure is put on us to do well. For you to tell them you have been denied admission is like a shot to the heart. I'm sure they would be much happier knowing that you did not apply.

I know my parents wouldn't understand why I would want to take a year off either so if I was in your shoes, I'd be trying to make up an excuse they would understand...like wanting to work for a year to save up for school? Or you can try to tell them you just need a break if you think they will understand. Good luck!!

Hi, it's so embarrassing to admit but i have a slight problem - my parents think i applied for the fall 2007 application but i never finished any of them. i told them PharmCAS would give me a status of my admission and that it would send to my e-mail. And now should be the time i would be getting the mail that tells me i'm denied - i want to print it out so i can show them i didnt get in. So I'm asking this pre-Pharmacy forum to just copy and paste me their rejection letters so I'd have something to go by when showing them my rejection letters.
I know it's a weird thing to ask, and you can even private message them to me if you dont want them posted. But anything right now would really save me from their wrath...so thanks for looking, and please help out if you can.
Thank you so much for your time!!

Wow. I hope you are reconsidering the health field. Honesty and integrity should be a priority if you want to be involved in others health care. Grow up and tell them the truth.

Cut the umbilical cord!!! :laugh:

On the other hand, we can use a few good liars in retail for when the druggies come by and you don't want to dispense Lortab to them. "Nah, I'm sorry, we're out..."

Of course the short answer is: Stand up!

Funny thing to mention, though... here's what my dad had to say 3 Christmases ago about me pursuing pharmacy:

"You mean the guys that sit there with a little wand counting pills into a bottle?! Are you ****ing me?! You need a real degree to get a real job!"

"Dad, *insert laughter for a good 20-30 seconds*, I don't even know what to say to that."

In his defense, I had wasted 2 years out of high school and blown my head start by pursuing "computer networking." My dad really cut into me about that several times. It's not that he was closed minded or anything, I understand where he was coming from since neither of my parents had the option of attending college. He didn't want to see me waste my opportunities any longer.

After letting him cool off, I rationalized with him by asking if he thought I should, like all of his coworkers' children, pursue a marketing, business, or advertising degree knowing good, full, and well that I'd be looking at a 40K/yr introductory position with almost no chance to make it to upper management at any decent sized firm. At the same time, I showed him some legit stats on pharmacy, laid out that it was a Doctoral degree and the job outlook was incredible. He didn't want to believe me at first, but I had to stand up.

I understand the pressure. Stand up, though.

To the posters who are quick to judge others on this site and tell them to consider changing careers; you posters need to loosen up and not take things so serious all the time. It is ok to have fun on this site, you dont have to always be a preacher for the betterment of the pharmacy profession and mankind. I understand that many of you are perfect in your own little ways and that everything you do is directed towards the progression of mankind and the pharmacy profession but just take a break sometimes.

anyone here have indian parents?

Wow. I hope you are reconsidering the health field. Honesty and integrity should be a priority if you want to be involved in others health care. Grow up and tell them the truth.

Thats easy for us with more standard American parents to say. Its harder when you might get kicked out or have other consequences.

Don't be so quick to judge others.

I do think you should be honest though. You will only get yourself entangled in a mess.

Nice post. You owned just about everyone who dissed you.

Thats easy for us with more standard American parents to say. Its harder when you might get kicked out or have other consequences.

Don't be so quick to judge others.

I do think you should be honest though. You will only get yourself entangled in a mess.

I agree....

I also agree that developing trust with one's parents is critical for families of any culture, but family dynamics are slightly different in other cultures.

I'm Vietnamese, and there have been times where telling the truth has made matters worse because my parents were too quick to judge while being uninformed and ignorant about certain aspects of my life. I'm unnecessarily referring to the every Asian kid out there, but the familial hierarchy in my culture tends to be stronger where the adults think that they are know-it-alls, live vicariously through their children, and take too much responsibility if the kid doesn't perform up to high expectations. As a result, careful withholding of information like professional school applications is better for the family. Constant lying is detrimental for my family too so I'm not proposing that either.

It's easier for people whose parents raise their kids to leave that figurative "nest" to tell the truth because the dialogue tends to be closer to equal terms. That's not to say that Asian kids can't nor shouldn't stand up for themselves; I'm just saying that the hesitation to tell our parents everything has a source.

I agree....

I also agree that developing trust with one's parents is critical for families of any culture, but family dynamics are slightly different in other cultures.

I'm Vietnamese, and there have been times where telling the truth has made matters worse because my parents were too quick to judge while being uninformed and ignorant about certain aspects of my life. I'm unnecessarily referring to the every Asian kid out there, but the familial hierarchy in my culture tends to be stronger where the adults think that they are know-it-alls, live vicariously through their children, and take too much responsibility if the kid doesn't perform up to high expectations. As a result, careful withholding of information like professional school applications is better for the family. Constant lying is detrimental for my family too so I'm not proposing that either.

It's easier for people whose parents raise their kids to leave that figurative "nest" to tell the truth because the dialogue tends to be closer to equal terms. That's not to say that Asian kids can't nor shouldn't stand up for themselves; I'm just saying that the hesitation to tell our parents everything has a source.

i agree with that the quote above. it's always hard no matter what culture but nevertheless, you might as well tell the truth in this case cuz it really would make matters worse. and as someone else said, parents rather know you didnt apply than to be rejected. they may nag you for not applying but at least your relatives wont think you are stupid for not getting into a school. you may not realize this, but your parents pride stems from your relatives knowing of your accomplishments as well as failures. so it is best to tell the truth and say you didnt try than to say you tried and failed.

Diazfordork:
I have an inkling of what you are going through. my parents (vietnamese parents) are super-conservative and at first i was afraid to tell the truth about anything cuz my parents can be crazy mad but i realize that if i dont start now, then i will have to continue lying to my parents til the day i die and stretching lies are tiring to deal with. it's gonna be hard to deal with the truth but hell, you gonna have hard times like these with your parents anyways, might as well start now or else if they found out u lied so long, they will lose trust and respect for you and no amount of schooling (even if u became the best pharmacist out there)will make up for it. it's hard and tiring, but in the end it will be worth it. trust me. good luck.

Well, at least you are old enough where you won't get beat with a wooden stick, fly swatter, broom, or the good old fashion belt. Lol, my dad chased after me with a big ole broom one time when I told a lie and I don't think I ever lied after that; that is until I got older. Ohhh the memories!

I'm asian too. I was scared of my dad when I was young and would lie about everything to please him. Of course he found out later. Anyways, I think at this age (you say you're 21?) you need to establish your grounds. I'm a girl so believe me when I say my dad was way overprotective of me. Building an adult-adult relationship with my dad, you can imagine, was very hard and took years. But guess what? I'm at the point where I'm no longer afraid of him and straight up tell him the truth--whether I'll be staying over at my boyfriend's apartment for the weekend or I won't be eating dim sum with him in the morning because I want to visit a few friends. All I'm saying is if I'm a girl and has gone to the point where telling him I'm staying the night at my bf's is okay, you can start speaking up about the pressures your parents have been giving you and your thoughts about further education.

Another thing, parents are smarter than you think--you may think that they have no idea what you're up to but I bet you anything there's a 90% chance that they already know you didn't apply. Did you act "anxious" at waiting for schools? Did you let them know which of the schools you applied were your top schools and which are your last choices? It's small things like that that give you away. Good luck with everything!