Weird question, but i really need this answered pleaseee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i cant tell you

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question for any students applying to dental school, and people already in dental school.

I am a student currently interested in applying to dentistry, and I had a question that I am not sure the answer off.

The thing is my teeth are not really aligned properly, and I need braces. But, my parents cant afford it. So i am wondering if it will look bad for me to apply to dental school when my own teeth arent aligned properly.

Is it a disadvantage???

I would love for as many replies. It is kinda bothering me because im really interested in dentistry, and im feeling like im gonna be held back because i cant afford to get braces.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

i cant tell you said:
I had a question for any students applying to dental school, and people already in dental school.

I am a student currently interested in applying to dentistry, and I had a question that I am not sure the answer off.

The thing is my teeth are not really aligned properly, and I need braces. But, my parents cant afford it. So i am wondering if it will look bad for me to apply to dental school when my own teeth arent aligned properly.

Is it a disadvantage???

I would love for as many replies. It is kinda bothering me because im really interested in dentistry, and im feeling like im gonna be held back because i cant afford to get braces.

Thanks in advance!

Look at my teeth! I made it!

i cant tell you said:

Is it a disadvantage???

Thanks in advance!

i dont think it should, if you can't afford it theres nothing you can do about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i cant tell you said:

Is it a disadvantage???

Thanks in advance!

Not only is it not a problem, but in several interviews, I saw dental students with braces!! Those that didn't really get a good ortho cycle when they were younger or who couldn't afford it have SO many resources to get it while in school.

If you're really self-conscious about it, consider using it for your advantage, like putting it into your personal statement or saying that it inspires you to consider ortho yourself.

It's your confidence that will make you look attractive and professional during your interview; not one single aspect. And decay-free teeth is better than perfectly straight teeth!

In addition to what others have said, if you attend a school with an ortho department chances are they'll offer you some kind of a student discount on their services too.

Come to BU...free dental care for students.

i cant tell you said:

Is it a disadvantage???

Thanks in advance!
The school won't really care what you can afford now, because there's plenty of loan money to go around once you're in school. To offer a little perspective, have you ever heard of a med school ortho applicant who was afraid of getting rejected because he didn't have enough artificial joints, or a pathology applicant worried that she hasn't had enough biopsies done on her? You're applying to be a student, not a spokesmodel, so needing braces isn't going to keep you out in the cold if your ability is enough to get you in.

Dude, were you ever a member of Fight Club??? Yeah... that would mess it up pretty bad.

On a serious note, like others said, i don't think it will matter. And yes, you can definitely use this on your personal statement as an inspiration for this profession.

I don't think it will matter for your chances as a dental student.

Just make sure you get them fixed before you start practicing. It will be hard to convince your patients to go for the high end esthetic case if you have major snaggle teeth.

I have braces and when I met with ad coms most for them said it was a positve thing. It helps them remember you. I know you won't have braces but I'm sure you will be remembered, if your grill looks lik howie.

i cant tell you said:

Is it a disadvantage???

Thanks in advance!

Back when I was a small child I used to get sick rather often. At that time, doctors used to regularly prescribe children a form of tetracycline. This medicine, unbeknownst to the medical community, stained the child's "permanent" teeth yellow. Every time I lost a baby tooth, a yellow one would come out. I remember brushing the hole in my gums until it bled, hoping for a normal-colored tooth. To no avail, the outcome was still the same. I eventually gave it up and learned to live with this discoloration (including not smiling too much, unfortunately).

Call it immaturity, stupidity, or whatever - but when it came time to choose my path in life, I didn't choose what I wanted to study (dentistry). I thought: who would want to go to a dentist with YELLOW teeth? Look! he can't even take care of his own! So I chose engineering. It was much later in life when I overcame my shyness and shame of the "yellow teeth" that I dared ask my dentist about it. This is when I found out about the side-effect of the medicine that was prescribed to me.

To the OP: learn from my stupidity and immaturity. Don't let this (really minor) thing hold you back from your career path. Not to put any pressure on you or anything, but chosing your career is one of the few really important cross-roads in life (marriage is another one). Choose wisely. I didn't, and although I can't complain about the outcome so far, I'm trying to get back and do what I should have done in the first place: go to dental school.

Best of Luck.