Weird Question (Magic!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firik

Connection is the Key!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I come upon an interesting idea and was wondering about your knowledge. Do you know any dentist who uses "magic" or other small tricks to entertain their patients? Just imagine you come into your appointment and the first thing your dentist do after asking health questions is to perform some simple trick (cards, balls, etc.) that will leave you with a sense of wonder. And ultimately, some closure and something to laugh about. Maybe even patient thinking about how it was done during the procedure will make them less notice that they are in the dental chair.

All I am asking here whether you know someone doing something entertaining before they begin procedures and how were patients impacted.
Before you comment on my "plan" that I suggested above, I have no idea what I am suggesting, but I like the idea of bringing something new to the patient interaction, which is what I am exploring.

Also, I welcome anyone practicing to share what makes their practice/interaction interesting.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I come upon an interesting idea and was wondering about your knowledge. Do you know any dentist who uses "magic" or other small tricks to entertain their patients? Just imagine you come into your appointment and the first thing your dentist do after asking health questions is to perform some simple trick (cards, balls, etc.) that will leave you with a sense of wonder. And ultimately, some closure and something to laugh about. Maybe even patient thinking about how it was done during the procedure will make them less notice that they are in the dental chair.

All I am asking here whether you know someone doing something entertaining before they begin procedures and how were patients impacted.
Before you comment on my "plan" that I suggested above, I have no idea what I am suggesting, but I like the idea of bringing something new to the patient interaction, which is what I am exploring.

Also, I welcome anyone practicing to share what makes their practice/interaction interesting.
Thank you!

Dr. Eyal Simchi at Riverfront Pediatric Dentistry is great. He's got a Facebook and instagram where he shows his magic tricks he uses with the kids. Only one I've seen or heard of

Reactions: 1 users
Before the internet days, there was a Dr. Martin Schwartz of NYC doing magic tricks in his office. There were a few ADA Journal type articles on him. And of course there is Dr. Simchi already mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I do a few magic tricks in my practice, just for fun when I have time.

Reactions: 1 users
That is awesome, Thank you for the great info @pubhealthdent, @gryffindor, @Daurang!
Others, please keep sharing.

Yes I do a few magic tricks in my practice, just for fun when I have time.
How does it work for adults? Is it a satisfying experience for them? for you? Thanks for sharing!

I remember the former residency director at Roosevelt St.Lukes in NYC was a magician as well. The residency is long closed. Not sure where the director is now.

I like to joke around with my patients before I start anything. They seem to find me funny, but others say it's just my face!

Do you guys feel that performing magic takes away from the professional relationship or strengthens it? I feel like if I were to start busting out magic tricks that the patient would look at me like I am insane. From a pediatric perspective, it seems like a way to gain a patient's trust, but I wonder if it works for adults.

Do you guys feel that performing magic takes away from the professional relationship or strengthens it? I feel like if I were to start busting out magic tricks that the patient would look at me like I am insane. From a pediatric perspective, it seems like a way to gain a patient's trust, but I wonder if it works for adults.

I wouldn't think itd work well on adults. Personally I'd be real annoyed if my dentist was wasting my time showing me mediocre magic tricks instead of doing what needed done

Yeah I would find it super weird as an adult to watch a magic trick in an operatory.